Thread: Need Help Identifyingng Frog !!!!!!!!!!!

frog

Question Need Help Identifying Frog !!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, can any one tell me is this a bull frog or a green frog and is it a male or female. It is about 2"-2.5" long. It was caught in my yard no where near a pond. i live in CT. How well do they adapt to captivity and any info on this also? See pics.

thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Marilyn

Default Re: Need Help Identifying Frog !!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by frog View Post
    Hi, can any one tell me is this a bull frog or a green frog and is it a male or female. It is about 2"-2.5" long. It was caught in my yard no where near a pond. i live in CT. How well do they adapt to captivity and any info on this also? See pics.

thanks.
    It looks like a female bullfrog to me. I wouldn't keep one in captivity. They need tons of room for jumping and swimming.

into

Default Re: Need Help Identifyingng Frog !!!!!!!!!!!

wambli has a couple bullfrogs... take a look through some of his threads http://www.frogforum.net/search.php?searchid=8537

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Aye, juvenile bullfrog for certain. As for green frog, I doubt it, but without knowing your location, this is impossible to determine.
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

Marilyn

Quote Originally Posted by SludgeMunkey View Post
    Aye, juvenile bullfrog for certain. As for green frog, I doubt it, but without knowing your location, this is impossible to determine.

The size of the tympanum leads me to believe that it is female.

Kurt

The fact that this frog was found in CT, means it is a bullfrog. Had this person's location been down south, it could've been a pig frog and I would have to hit the field guide to positively identify it. But in New England it can only be one frog, Lithobates catesbeianus.

Marilyn

Smile Re: Need Help Identifyingng Frog !!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    The fact that this frog was found in CT, means it is a bullfrog. Had this person's location been down south, it could've been a pig frog and I would have to hit the field guide to positively identify it. But in New England it can only be one frog, Lithobates catesbeianus.
    This frog looks like the bullfrogs we have in NY State. The Pig Frogs I've seen in Florida have more obvious webbing between the toes.

frog

Is there any chance that this is a eastern green frog? It is only 2"-2.5" inches long.

Kurt

No. Green frogs have dorsal-lateral ridges, the frog in the pictures does not have these.

frog

Thanks for all the help. I think the bull frog will be to big to take care of, its going back to the wild.It would of been fun to keep after reading about there appetite and what they eat. I guess i will stick with the CT grey tree frogs. if anybody has any for sale or ones they don't want any more let me know.

Kurt

Well, techically you can't buy them, because they are a native species. Maybe you can lucky and someone can give you some.

Thread Information