Thread: Looking for cane or rococo toads. C.B.

Default Looking for cane or rococo toads. C.B.

Anyone know of good cane or rococo toad breeders? I prefer rococos tbh(size/less skittishness---so I hear). But will also be okay with canes. I'm looking for anyone that breeds either one in captivity. So if anyone knows a good source for CAPTIVE BRED ones that are young.

Please post. All I seem to find is wild caught ones. Somethings are better off captive bred. I mean I like wild american toads. But that's a whole different story. I just feel more comfortable buying a captive bred one(had an incident a year ago).
    ------------------------
    P.s. I know they need a big tank(or figured) I already got the tanks(some extra ones too a 55g, and a 75g.) off a garage sale a while ago. Or I may just get a custom made acrylic. To be atleast 2.3ft widex5ft longx1.5ft tall(rough estimate--- haven't figured out the actual size). I'll figure it out. I just want to get the names of breeders/online stores that sell them as juvies C.B.

For the cane toads--- I don't care where they come from(like if they are suriname, florida, or whatever) as long as they are captive bred.

For the rococos I don't care for price(as long as its not over 150 or so--- I may pay higher depending on who it is and his/her reputation as a breeder).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

spencerburgo

Default Re: Looking for cane or rococo toads. C.B.

hi there, i think you will struggle to find either speices cb as they are easy to collect wild caught, and as previously mentioned toadlets are a nightmare to rear, there is only one fellow that ive heard of doing it in germany with suriname canes and my freind got 40 at 2euros each not alot of money when you consider how much a wc adult sells for i got some of him and although ive got them eating dubia nymphs now and small calci worms, it has proved expensive to get them to this stage and we only have the fellows word there surinames, they look like surinames as there paratoid gland has just developed and it looking big also there colours, and the large surinam cane toads are a lot tamer than the normal canes, we have had ours just over a week and there eating out the palm of our hands

the pic of the toadlet was taking about two weeks ago and the other pic is of one of my adults the day she arived very skinny,

cheers spencer..................

Quote Originally Posted by spencerburgo View Post
    hi there, i think you will struggle to find either speices cb as they are easy to collect wild caught, and as previously mentioned toadlets are a nightmare to rear, there is only one fellow that ive heard of doing it in germany with suriname canes and my freind got 40 at 2euros each not alot of money when you consider how much a wc adult sells for i got some of him and although ive got them eating dubia nymphs now and small calci worms, it has proved expensive to get them to this stage and we only have the fellows word there surinames, they look like surinames as there paratoid gland has just developed and it looking big also there colours, and the large surinam cane toads are a lot tamer than the normal canes, we have had ours just over a week and there eating out the palm of our hands

the pic of the toadlet was taking about two weeks ago and the other pic is of one of my adults the day she arived very skinny,

Well since I don't know the lifespan of cane toad. I think 10 years? So buying a wild caught one that's large is well.... Not going to guarantee me an animal that isn't old.

Ever thought that buying a fully grown one isn't the best idea since they may be extremely old to begin with? You wouldn't even know. Where it could die within the year, or two years later. Or so. I atleast would like 5years out of the toad. I prefer captive bred over wild caught because of the virus and such. I mean going out to catch a wild toad is not as bad as buying one. Because the difference is--- catching one is going straight home where it can settle in faster and less of a risk of the toad getting overly stressed. More so than it would being shipped across the world. If its wild caught then it could pose a problem. I had a cane toad I bought from a store. next few days it vomitted a white liquid. Took it to the vet--- it was fully loaded of parasites. I gave it some meds. Then it was good. I went on vacation a week later(surprise vacation from my family--- I didn't know) I had my friend take care of it. It died on his hands. So its why Iam careful about w/c.

Though I do love those huge surinames. I'm not looking to handle it. But when I must handle it for weekly inspection I don't want to have more trouble than I would with a regular toad. All my american toads are okay with me handling them. They're not fond of it. But they don't squirm all the time. In reality I just don't want it to hide all the time like the cane toad I bought from the store. She was terrified. No frog has ever been this terrified. Idk what the heck she went through. But by god---- she was horrified of people. She kicked, squirm, urinated(felt like a water gun because it was sorta high pressured) and constantly hid.
    --------------------------

All this said if you do know of a good breeder of these that would be good(u.s. prefered).

If we're talking about w/c atleast someone who is professional(so when I ask them a question about the animal-- they won't lie to me like some people would).

SethD

I am quite certain that there are no US "breeders" of most toad species including canes and Rococos. If someone tries to sell you either of those and says they are CB be very skeptical unless they can prove it with spawning pictures etc. I am sure it could be done but it just isn't due to a lack of competent individuals with interest in doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by SethD View Post
    I am quite certain that there are no US "breeders" of most toad species including canes and Rococos. If someone tries to sell you either of those and says they are CB be very skeptical unless they can prove it with spawning pictures etc. I am sure it could be done but it just isn't due to a lack of competent individuals with interest in doing so.
    mk. So wild caught is my only opt. for those?

Wormwood

I'd say so, I never found any toad breeders either. There simply isn't enough profit in toads with how much they eat and how easily they are caught in the wild. People get alot of the cane toads in trade in American now from Florida.

Cane toads generally hide and are very skiddish, even my two. I've never actually had one that wasn't, just how the breed is from my experience.

You can get "younger" Cane Toads for $20 usually on the cheap end. I've never owned a Rocco, have seen them at shows but they'll run you another 40-50 bucks, the only guys I've seen having them charge $80+ and more for larger females. Still to this day I've never seen any with young Roccos for sale. Rocco's don't like to be held either though, the ones I have held pee even more then cane toads since they are significantly larger.

Quote Originally Posted by Wormwood View Post
    I'd say so, I never found any toad breeders either. There simply isn't enough profit in toads with how much they eat and how easily they are caught in the wild. People get alot of the cane toads in trade in American now from Florida.

Cane toads generally hide and are very skiddish, even my two. I've never actually had one that wasn't, just how the breed is from my experience.

You can get "younger" Cane Toads for $20 usually on the cheap end. I've never owned a Rocco, have seen them at shows but they'll run you another 40-50 bucks, the only guys I've seen having them charge $80+ and more for larger females. Still to this day I've never seen any with young Roccos for sale. Rocco's don't like to be held either though, the ones I have held pee even more then cane toads since they are significantly larger.
    Im not to hold them really. Just to watch them. Which I rather not have the cane or rococo frantically scared to death or hide like crazy. I heard that the bigger the toad the less fearfull it is of people. Funny thing is. My americans are more friendly than the cane toad I had. lol.

Wormwood

Yeah, any american toad will be less skiddish then a cane or rocco. That larger toad rule has never applied to any toads I've seen before.

spencerburgo

Yeah, any american toad will be less skiddish then a cane or rocco. That larger toad rule has never applied to any toads I've seen before.
    the question is how many big toads have you seen? when i say big i mean big these are my freinds rococo toads they feed from his fingers in front of people and he has bigger ones he is currently selling them to make room for surinam cane toads
    http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...ir-rococo.html

cheers spencer..............

Wormwood

Hundred? I've never had the pleasure to own a Rococo so they may be different at home in a good enviroment but at shows and stores they've always been shy, jumpy or just totally shut down in a huddle.

I've never had a non-skiddish cane toad though and I've raised many of them through the years.

Very handsome pictures of his toads , if I was closer I might consider it.

Hundred? I've never had the pleasure to own a Rococo so they may be different at home in a good enviroment but at shows and stores they've always been shy, jumpy or just totally shut down in a huddle.

I've never had a non-skiddish cane toad though and I've raised many of them through the years.

GAH!!! I want those toads soo friggin badly! D: Why are the good things in life so far from reach? D; I agree it may just be that cane toads are skittish. But I mean some toads don't even mind being held. I occasionally hold my american toads(not often because I get bored very easily when handling something--- I rather watch it) for the purpose of checking for any pests(i like to be cautious) and the health of the toads, as well as sometimes I just pet them(for a minute or two--- i get bored of doing that. Like maybe if they sat with me watching tv. I'd be okay doing that. The tank is right next to my computer so it leaves me much room for watching them.

Anywho. If I can't find any of those. I may just buy some colorado river toads. I heard too they are "friendly" and I don't mean human friendly. More of like "tolerant" is the correct word I would say. I know a store online that sells them for uhhh... "medicinal" purposes(smoking the toxins) I came across it while looking for toads for sale(pet purposes only) and it peeked my interest. Though it's extremely expensive from that store. Sorta a rip off. Ill post a link soon.

Nvm they took the product down! Guess ill check on kingsnake.com

--------------
    If anyone knows a place in U.S. that sells toads(rococos and colorados or other large growing toads) please post! D:

spencerburgo

my two adult surinam cane toads have only been here about 12 days and one eats eart worms from my hand the other wont take from the hand yet but as quick as i drop food in front of her she eats it, these are wc and had a hell of a jorney suriname, america, germany, then england, and they fed straight away so i would imagine another few months i will have no probs with hand feeding, the good thing is there just so greedy! lol, were as my normal cane toad hides only comes out at night and will probaly never feed from my hands, here is a couple of pics of the big girls,you could understand any toad being skittish at an expo!

mavis is in the top photo sitting out side her house watching whats going on she is very nosey, and greedy bettys in the bath if you new how much she ate you would no why i call her greedy betty,

my two adult surinam cane toads have only been here about 12 days and one eats eart worms from my hand the other wont take from the hand yet but as quick as i drop food in front of her she eats it, these are wc and had a hell of a jorney suriname, america, germany, then england, and they fed straight away so i would imagine another few months i will have no probs with hand feeding, the good thing is there just so greedy! lol, were as my normal cane toad hides only comes out at night and will probaly never feed from my hands, here is a couple of pics of the big girls,you could understand any toad being skittish at an expo!

mavis is in the top photo sitting out side her house watching whats going on she is very nosey, and greedy bettys in the bath if you new how much she ate you would no why i call her greedy betty,

sigh... I may have to settle for the regular cane toads then. I don't wanna buy a full grown suriname in fear it maybe actually a dud and be a regular florida cane toad.

Wouldn't space and diet also play a role on their size? So a wild caught floridian one could get that big if it was fed a heavy diet as well as fully loaded with extra calcium and vitamins. lol. SO in a way overfeed a bit. :x Not too much though. And I'd feed mice occassionally. But rather not.

I rather get alot of other fatty/protein loaded foods. (fatty foods would be waxworms and be fed every other feeding along with their regular feeding). I want a juvenile because I want it to be younger so that I can have it grow bigger on its own. Since toads sorta grow fast. You could be getting a 10 year old cane toad thats 10ft long(suriname--- doubt that big though); and the seller could say its just 2 years old. While if you get a young cane toad you know its under a year old and you can get it that big.

But you can't count on a suriname young cane toad because there would be no way to know if it came from suriname at the young age. Am I right? How big can regular cane toads get? I mean the one I had was 2x bigger than the largest american toad I had before and have now. 4-5inch or so.

spencerburgo

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    sigh... I may have to settle for the regular cane toads then. I don't wanna buy a full grown suriname in fear it maybe actually a dud and be a regular florida cane toad.

Wouldn't space and diet also play a role on their size? So a wild caught floridian one could get that big if it was fed a heavy diet as well as fully loaded with extra calcium and vitamins. lol. SO in a way overfeed a bit. :x Not too much though. And I'd feed mice occassionally. But rather not.

I rather get alot of other fatty/protein loaded foods. (fatty foods would be waxworms and be fed every other feeding along with their regular feeding). I want a juvenile because I want it to be younger so that I can have it grow bigger on its own. Since toads sorta grow fast. You could be getting a 10 year old cane toad thats 10ft long(suriname--- doubt that big though); and the seller could say its just 2 years old. While if you get a young cane toad you know its under a year old and you can get it that big.

But you can't count on a suriname young cane toad because there would be no way to know if it came from suriname at the young age. Am I right? How big can regular cane toads get? I mean the one I had was 2x bigger than the largest american toad I had before and have now. 4-5inch or so.
    it all depends there are some big cane toads it depends were they originate from as to how big they get, but ive read that the ones from florida are quite small i think, also surinams are the largest canes i dont think anything else comes close apart from bufo blombergi, wich are very rare but huge!! and rococos

http://karlshuker.blogspot.com/2011/...-american.html
    here is an interesting link for you to read, there is no way you could confuse a surinam there paratoid glands are like golf balls,

cheers spencer............

it all depends there are some big cane toads it depends were they originate from as to how big they get, but ive read that the ones from florida are quite small i think, also surinams are the largest canes i dont think anything else comes close apart from bufo blombergi, wich are very rare but huge!! and rococos

http://karlshuker.blogspot.com/2011/...-american.html
    here is an interesting link for you to read, there is no way you could confuse a surinam there paratoid glands are like golf balls,

cheers spencer............
    even young ones?

spencerburgo

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    even young ones?
    yes even young ones but i doubt you will see any young surinams, ive never seen a male i think who ever collects them must pick all the large ones hence all females and no juveys,

cheers spencer...............

yes even young ones but i doubt you will see any young surinams, ive never seen a male i think who ever collects them must pick all the large ones hence all females and no juveys,

cheers spencer...............
    I'd breed them if I could. :c Maybe ill special order some. But then what will I do with the other tadpoles/toadlets? I can't just kill all those can tadpole/toadlets just because I want young toads... That'd be messed up. :x If I had someone who will buy them I'd do that. SO I can keep a few toadlets for myself. But that breeding project would be flawed. too many tadpoles=too many toads. Gosh that sucks then.

BG

Spencer pal you opened up a new can of worms. LOL Very interesting. Thats why you make the bick bucks.lol

Thread Information