Thread: Plants for Pacman Frog?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Plants for Pacman Frog?

Hey guys.

I would really like some suggestions for low-light (as I will not be providing more than room and sunlight at this time) plants. I am going to move my Pacman frog into a 10 gallon tank, probably sometime this week. I am making an order from josh's frogs, although I think I will probably order the plants later because they ship from a different location.

Anyway, I would love to know the names of some good live plants. I may be able to afford a cheap, 6" flouresent light setup pretty soon (I think they are about $15 max). If there is a low-light plant that will live happily with a 6" flouresent, I would love to go ahead and get it.

I have always wondered why not very many people give their Pacmans plants. I mean, you have water, substrate, and sometimes light. What more do you need? Speaking of substrate, is cocofiber suitable for plants, or will I need to bury a clay pot and fill that with some topsoil, and cover it with cocofiber?

I am a complete newbie to plants. The internet doesn't seem to know alot about live plants. *sigh* Back before I started fish, I used to think the internet knew everything, now, with frogs, it just further confirms that it doesn't.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

SSMcLeod

Default Re: Plants for Pacman Frog?

Well... Pacmans are burrowers. They would love the cover the plant would give but would constantly be in the roots (could solve this by keeping it in the pots) and that may cause issue.

As for the plants themselves. Most generic plants to fine in most lighting situations, there are exceptions but plants are quite hardy for the most part. What I would be concerned about would be the toxicity of the plant. If the frog were to absorb sap would it be detrimental to the frog?

Personally if I were to put plants in I would research varieties that are in with the pacmans natural habitat to hedge your bets (also remember that they stay on the ground so plants that are high up in trees may also be an issue for them..)

All in all, I would use fake plants just to be safe and for ease

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Ive used purple and variegated wandering jew in my pacman tank. Grows well even in low light and roots very easily from leaf nodes so will attach to coco fibre backgrounds and happily run along the floor. Have also used ficus pumila with no problems.
    One thing to consider with plants is if you are feeding crickets/locusts then make sure you dont use any toxic plants as if any dont get eaten at first they may nibble them before they finally get taken by your pacman.
    0.0.2 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.0.3 Dendrobates azureus
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius "Alanis" (tads)
    3.3.0 Epipedobates anthonyi (+tads!)
    0.0.1 Lepidobatrachus laevis
    0.0.4 Pyllobates terribilis
    0.0.3 Ranitomeya imitator "Chazuta"
    0.0.3 Ranitomeya vanzolini
    0.0.6 Xenopus laevis

5. This member thanks berksmike for this post:

artes

Ferns would work pretty well. They like low light and humid climates. The leaves would also hang down thickly, providing good cover for your froggie, and it wouldn't necessarily feel the need to bury itself then.

7. This member thanks artes for this post:

Leefrogs

All super suggestions for plants. You could do a drainage layer, put a screen over the whole bottom. Cut holes I'm the screen and put plant in there, this might stop a digger from digging it up. Maybe make a hill, so you can suck up excess water.

9. This member thanks Leefrogs for this post:

Thread Information