Thread: Should I be feeding in a different container?

bongo10465

Question Should I be feeding in a different container?

I've read so many different posts and I have been reading that people have been placing their frogs into different container's to feed? Is this what I should be doing? I only picked up my pacman today and he hasn't eaten yet after I have put the crickets in his tank, which is probably normal considering its a new home for him. So which is the proper way to feed? Why to people feed in different containers?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wormwood

Default Re: Should I be feeding in a different container?

Often it's to advoid them ingesting substrate material, or to keep the crickets or other feeders from burrowing or drowning in the pool. More bang for your buck I guess.

If your frog is still skiddish and won't even eat in it's main tank it's doubtful moving it into another will help but it might be work a try. Sometimes it takes a frog or toad a while to get comfortable to feed in it's new enclosure.

Sometimes a different insect might be good to, put a few small meal worms in a dish near him and see how he reacts. Then introduce some crickets into the tank while feeding him the bug you know he'll eat. Sooner or later it'll become second nature for him to target the insect that he previously wouldn't touch.

bongo10465

Question Re: Should I be feeding in a different container?

Thanks for the response, makes sense. If you don't mind i have a few more questions. Now I'm reading that moss is no good? I have half the tank set up with coco fiber and the other half with the moss which keeps the humidity up. Is moss no good? And i don't get the whole eating the substrate thing considering that they eat that way in the wild, don't they? I really want to get this right.

Wormwood

I've never had any issue with coco-fiber or moss, I actually use both as well with a mixture of dirt and sand.

It's been a while since I've had a pacman frog but I've never had any impaction problems because of substrate, or even seen them ingest alot of it. Most frogs and toads just spit out large pieces since they realize it's not a bug. Other folks claim that ingesting substrate will be the death of them, but like I said I've personally never seen it. :P

It might be good to just watch how your frog eats and judge from there.

6. This member thanks Wormwood for this post:

bongo10465

Thanks for the input Wormwood!

Thread Information