Thread: White's tree frog throwing up stomach?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default White's tree frog throwing up stomach?

So, I am feeding my White's tree frog tonight. I have a little plastic kritter keeper that I put crickets in and just let my little white's jump from his viv into there and eat. He is spoiled and jumps out whenever I open the door of his viv and he never seems to catch the crickets I just put in there very well. Well, I gave him 3 large crickets as usual and he ate the first 2 quickly. He sat in there for a little while and I wasted my time trying to get him to call to me. Anyways, I threw a few mealworms in there to see if he wanted any. He didn't, and after a while he jumped for the cricket, and was shoving it down. I noticed him shoving a little more with his hands and then noticed squishy something coming out of his mouth. He tried to swallow a couple more times, and it kept oozing out of his mouth. It was pinkish red with what looked like vessels and on one side was a clear part (intestines maybe? or fat tissue) Well, he swallowed a few more times, twisted his body a little like he does when he eats, and then he seemed fine. Haven't seen him open his mouth again, but his lips meet like normal and he is just hanging out on a branch right now. I am wondering if this was his stomach he threw up? I am freaking out. Is this common? Is it bad? Could he have damaged anything? Temps are 80-85 day, high 70s at night. Humidity 50-70%, Eco Earth substrate that I added about a week ago. He had a fresh poop this morning, normal sleep cycle, was hungry tonight when I fed him and has no other problems. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
    God bless,

Laura

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: White's tree frog throwing up stomach?

There was some residue from me dumping dusted crickets in the critter keeper such as calcium dust and some cricket poo that I needed to clean out but haven't yet. could he have gotten something in his mouth he wanted out? But whatever it was, it didn't come all the way out, just into his mouth and then he swallowed it. Currently, he is perched on a branch acting normal and does not appear to be in any discomfort.
    God bless,

Laura

Zach

Wow that is weird. It couldn't have been the stomach, maybe his tongue was in a weird position? I don't know, but if hes acting fine I wouldn't worry about it.

Leefrogs

Agreed, I've heard a story where someone overfed a WTF (almost impossible) and it puked up all over. Could he just just have gotten cricket leg scratches on his tounge?

Nationality
    [United States]

I am not sure. I thought at first it was his tongue too, but it looked more membrane like. Maybe if his tounge got flipped upside down....I don't know. Lol I am just so paranoid with my frogs! He seems to be his happy self this morning. He even left me another poop.
    God bless,

Laura

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Just from personal experience, this sounds completely normal to me. Mine does this with his tongue occasionally when he eats, it looks like some kind of white membraney thing oozing out of the sides of his mouth, as you described. I think they're just adjusting their tongues is all, you shouldn't have anything to worry about unless he starts doing something REALLY weird and something actually detaches from inside him and he pukes it up.

I know it might be hard, but pictures could really help. It sounds normal to me but I haven't seen it, so don't take my word for it. It could be something completely different. D:
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

8. This member thanks Kisa for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Whatever it was, he has completely readjusted it now. I am just super paranoid with my frogs and I have heard of them thrwing up their stomachs before so I freaked out.
    God bless,

Laura

Joyce

I bought my very first whites tree frog from my former school and have had him for a month now. hes been doing the same thing. it looks like skin at the corner of his mouth and he moves all weird but his comes out of his mouth. i wonder if its part of the bugs he eats that his stomach cant digest or something. it worries me but he seems normal. i think its natural but i cant find anything on the internet about it.

MASSfrogs

I'm no expert, but I was a little concerned with my White's frog who has been doing something similar recently, and I found a site stating that they shed pretty routinely, and it's normal. I'm hoping the info was pretty accurate because it sure is scary to see.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I've read that they will throw up their stomach if they eat something toxic. Some people are stupid and give their frogs vinegar to get them to throw up there stomachs :| It's really sad.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

maimedophelia

Why in the world would anyone intentionally make their frog throw up it's stomach?

I would have freaked out about what you saw but, after reading everyone's posts it seems sort of normal and your little guy seems fine which is happy. I must admit I had the most awful pit in my stomach for you as I read through your first few distressed posts. I'm a paranoid frog owner too - you're not alone!

Glad all is well with your White's.

Thread Information