Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Arrivals!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default New Arrivals!

Hey everyone, now I know this is sudden but...has anyone ever heard of a blue-eyed White's? >>

Yeah...I hadn't either.

Yeah, I didn't believe it at first either, but these guys both have blue eyes!

Our moderator, bshmerlie and I had been talking for a few weeks over the phone when she found an advertisement for these guys on Kingsnake. She texted me and I checked it out, and we both decided we'd like one of these rare blue-eyed morphs. The guy, it turns out, wasn't too far away from us, so we got in touch and went and picked them up today, and they're just what we expected (we were a little skeptical at first). She came and picked me up this morning bright and early and we drove from my place and hour and a half to a Barnes and Noble in Escondido to make the trade. They're C.B. froglets, and the guy said he'd been working on this project for two years and that their eyes will get bluer as they get older. I'm really satisfied with what we got, and Cheri was nice enough to pick me up and drive me all the way out there to set them up at my place. She picked up a misting system for their thirty gallon tank (which I was planning on keeping my future Red Eyes in, but for now it'll do as a temporary for these guys) and two plants for them to hang out on. She'll be back in a few months to pick up her little guy, but for now he's all mine. ^ ^

I'm going to post the guy's ad on kingsnake once I can get my internet to open the page, but for now here's his website.

GiantGeckos.com - Captive Bred Reptiles by Philippe de Vosjoli - Home

For now, please welcome Bruce Willis (the orange one, mine of course) and Paul Newman (Cheri's little green, poking his head between the stalks in the second picture). There'll be more pictures to come in both of our albums I'm sure, so keep checking if you wanna see more!
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bshmerlie

Default Re: New Arrivals!

Its hard to tell in the pictures but their eyes are freaking cool. Once they've settled in maybe Paul Newman will come out and flash his baby blues at us.

clownonfire

Well congratulations to both of you! Again, great name, Kisa. Next in line should be Bruce Dickinson...

Cheri, it was very nice of you to drive Brit.

Can't wait to see more of these. I'll go and take a look at the link you have posted.

Eric

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by clownonfire View Post
    Cheri, it was very nice of you to drive Brit.
    Well...anything I can do to help feed the frog obsession of other members.

clownonfire

Good to know. I have lots to do, so grab a plane. We'll be waiting for you with a to-do list!

poison beauties

They are nice frogs but not sure they were worth what he wanted for them. Kind of like asking $250 for a three legged tree frog. Now that its popular tomorrow there will be more of them much cheaper.

Michael

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by poison beauties View Post
    They are nice frogs but not sure they were worth what he wanted for them. Kind of like asking $250 for a three legged tree frog. Now that its popular tomorrow there will be more of them much cheaper.

Michael
    Michael, don't be a party pooper. Let them enjoy their new frogs, at least for 24 hours before you banter.

poison beauties

Just keep in mind they may not be as rare as you were led to believe is all. They do look nice but if he is selling them in actual numbers its because they've already been bred for this trait therefor there could be hundreds or more.
    If you want next time Im at the importers down in FL i will dig through what they have and see if I cant find you a few more. They go for about $2-$3 each down there.

Michael

bshmerlie

Mike i'll send you the eight bucks...you can send me four more.

poison beauties

Absolutely, Im goiing down to pick up a few critter in may/june area and will dig through whats down there and will grab up anything odd. I can get you some blue ones too.

You have to understand, I wasnt trying to be a smart *** on this. This is how they all do it. They all dig through the import crates and collections looking for new colors, patterns, species and all. This is how almost every one of the traits/morphs get started in the hobby. All the way back to the 70's and 80's when the first Albino burms and boas came in and started this hobby on its track.

My main point to the comment was on the rare part. when someone breeds a tree frog and what can be hundreds of froglets morph this is no longer rare. As by time these breed the next clutch from to original pair has morphed yet again. This is why the up coming glass frogs will be different. It will be a dedication to time as the tads take forever to morph. Many mistakes will happen while some will do well and in a few years they will also no longer be considered rare.

Michael

Kurt

You bought these from Philippe de Vosjoli? Or am I missunderstanding something here?

poison beauties

your right, these came from Philippe at GiantGecko.com

He's got some nice stuff. One of the only people breeding albino bulls too and that is very wierd speaking I sold 1700 froglets 5-6 years back.

Michael

bshmerlie

Mike I do understand your position on color morphs, fads, trends, and the economics of the whole thing. Something "rare" one day will be common place the next. That is just how our economy works here in the USA. You also must know by now my position on imports. I personally would rather pay $75 for a captive bred frog that I want than pay a disgraceful $2-3 dollars for that same frog caught from the wild and imported here. It is always our choice when we plop down money for a frog. No one forces us to buy a blue eyed frog....I simply want one....its my money...its my choice. Besides how would I name my frogs if they all looked the same? I completely agree with you 100% on this subject when it comes to dart frogs...but we are going to have to agree to disagree when it comes to blue eyed frogs costing more than regular color ones. Money is just no that big of a factor to me when it comes to getting a frog I want. I am also not really into collecting rare frogs or frogs that are considered collectibles. If I did id have a Blue Jeans or something like that. I buy a frog because I think it looks cool. Tony bought some white eyed red eyes....im sure...because he thinks they look cool.

poison beauties

Can't argue there it is up to every single person. But once again Blue Jean pumilio are not rare. They are always for sale and a friend of mine produces some of the nicest in the hobby so if you ever want any let me know and I will help you get a decent deal on them.

As for paying for the imports its not so much a disgrace as a thing we could prevent if everyone better manged whats here with breeding programs and tracked the lines. And another issue, Im not the anti morph person that you seem to take me for infact Ive already reserved half of Tony's white eyed clutch for a project. I was also one of the first to scoop up the albino red eyes 7 years ago when they hit KS at $500 each. I know where the few blue axanthic red eyes are as well as the few melanistics from the imports years back and Im trying to work a deal to secure them. I do have tree frogs, breeding milks, even annae and soon lemurs, Ive bred albino bullfrogs, albino and snow boas, albino pythons and albino rattlesnakes. I just see it a huge ID issue with darts as the slightest variation could mean as much as hybrid or another species/ locale if it has a spot or line on it that differs from another population.

But seriously the imports are the key for new blood as well as most of the morphs and traits that come in so if you ever get the chance to dig through what comes in from across the ocean you may want to give it a chance. With out them nothing would be here. Everyones breeding stock is here because the original lines come from the wild so even if you only buy cb your contributing to the need for wc. I will see what I can find when I head down to FL to pick up a new red eye morph in a couple months.

Hope this helped clear some of the issue.

Michael

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Wow guys...

Thanks for the congrats I guess, for those of you who have them. Just wanted to share my new arrivals, I wasn't really planning on this thread turning into some kind of pseudo argument about color morphs and how much they are and why, was just kind of excited that Cheri and I added some new White's to our numbers. This is Cheri's first White's after all, I never thought I'd be educating a moderator about a frog, in the little ways I did anyway. XD; And this was more about the story than anything; Cheri and I got to meet and hang out and do frog stuff together, that was the best part about this trip, was that I got to spend time with someone I respect from the forum and get to know her. This wasn't even really about the frogs in the end...

When I posted this thread I wasn't trying to brag about the fact that I bought a "rare morph that no one has ever seen before". I said this is something /I/ had never seen before, and it's exciting for me to add new frogs to my growing family. I'm sorry if some of you were mislead by the word "rare", again I really wasn't trying to brag.

But anyway, thanks again Cheri for the long drive and the time and money you spent, I promise to take care of little Paul and get you a return on the big bucks you laid out by giving you his health and company. ^ ^
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Congrats to both of you, they look pretty cute. The froggy road trip sounds like it was cool too, so that's good Looking forward to more pictures

Leefrogs

that's awsome, I'm a sucker for blue!!

Leefrogs

Talking Re: New Arrivals!

and I wanted to say I'm getting agalychnis annae by in a couple days too. Great minds think alike!! Who else getting new frogs ? I'll make sure to post my yellow eyes!!!

lnaminneci

Congrats Cheri and Brit!!!

Beautiful frogs! Gorgeous! I bet you guys had alot of fun on the roadtrip, Sounds a bit like Thelma and Louise froggie style!

Enjoy, Bruce Willis and Paul Newman! Love the names! lol

We want more pictures......Please.

~Lesley

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

@Cheri: I forgot to say above that yeah, with the lighting and the angle these pictures don't do their eye colors justice, they really looked blue in the sunlight when we got first looks.

@Eric, Unclechester: Thanks so much guys, I'm really proud of my new editions. I hope their eyes only get bluer! I'll try to post more pics once these guys settle in, they've had a rough time and I want to make sure they're comfortable before I start throwing them around and snapping photes in their eyes. But you know me, my albums should be bursting full within the month!

@Ginger: I know you love blue, you're the first person I thought of when Cheri texted me that these guys had blue eyes. I thought "Wouldn't Ginger love a blue phase with blue eyes." ^ ^ Oh please take a bunch of pictures of your new yellow eye!!!! I can't wait to see what he or she looks like and the tank you have set up for it! Make sure to post a thread with arrival pictures so we can all get a good look at your new editions!

@Lesley: I love the Thelma and Louise comment, what do you think about that Cheri? Yeah we drove all around Escondido causing trouble, it was wild! >> Naaaah...just kidding, but it was a great frog adventure. As soon as these guys settle in I'll be taking LOADS of pictures I promise you! Just check out my album now, and imagine four times the amount I have now and that'll be what you'll see in the next few months. XD
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information