Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sooo guess what I brought home today...

Immortal

Default Sooo guess what I brought home today...

Yep, Orchid has a soon to be new buddy! His name is Haiku and I am hoping he is a male. He is quite a bit smaller than Orchid, even though I do not know his age and neither did the pet store.

I went to Sarnia today (no pet stores in town, I have to travel) to get some items (cricket gut load food etc) and asked Pet Zone (where I got Orchid) if they had the same frogs or new ones. They had the same ones. I was under the impression they were from a breeder and from the same clutch. Turns out, they are from a supplier and are wild caught. So Orchid, sweet as she is, is wild caught! They called the supplier for me and they were told no chance any of the 3 could be related. So I said I'd think about it, unsure if I want to support getting a wild caught rather than captive bred (since I know that now).

I went to Pet Smart next as they had a red eye as well last time I was there. For those who remember my post about a frog being dark green during the day and thinking he was stressed.. yep that's him! I was worried about him being dark green, but I looked him over and he looks very healthy. Once he got outside (to the car) he turned bright green. I think maybe he isn't getting enough vitamin d maybe? Or can't tell it's day time? He is in good weight, fatter than Orchid lol. He's quite a bit smaller than her, so I'm calling him and HE anyways until I know for sure.

The girl who worked in the reptile department says he eats every day and is very active, which he seems very active. I have a 14 day guarantee on him, with Orchid I only had 7 days.

I'm happy to have brought him home! He is in an isolation tank for a few weeks.

So yeah! I am so happy to have my second red eye! I put them side by side so if they both happen to be near each other, they could possibly check each other out and say hi lol.

Oh one weird thing though, they had him in a tank with 2 regular (Canadian wild) tree frogs... could that be what was stressing him out? But he eats good, so I'm still not sure why he was so dark.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

JSG

Default Re: Sooo guess what I brought home today...

Well CONGRATULATIONS! and I so envy you!

Immortal

Hehe thanks! I am determined to figure out why he is dark green. And his pupils are huge right now. I don't know if he needs to be closer to the window for more light, or if he's just stressed or what it is. He is darker now than what he was when I took the picture. I also noticed they had 2 bulbs above him and a short tank. I don't know if he was getting too dry or anything. He's sitting on the edge of the water bowl.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Pet store, lots of unknown sounds, foot traffic, and then put in with other species surely could have him stressed. The pics show a nice looking healthy and probably happier frog.

Althought not captive bred, sometimes ya gotta save the little ones.

Nice choice.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

JSG

Ok I'm no expert, but from all the research and reading I've done I would think that the little guy is stressed; long drive (and things moving super fast for his eyes), totally new environment (new look, new smells, new lights, new human and NO other frogs to deal with!) and then you want him to behave and be normal!!!!! You silly human you!
    From what I've read some say that it can take a new addition up to 2 weeks to settle in! (and of course change in to it's normal colour!)
    LOL, don't sit and watch him, I would be stressed out of my mind had you sat and watched me like that! ~ Not welcoming, Lor!

Tony

Looking good! Once he is reasonably well-acclimated I would run him through a 10 day chytrid treatment as a preventative measure just in case he was exposed during the import process or while housed with the native tree frogs.

JSG

Tony, care to elaborate on that treatment?

Kurt

Congrats! I find that wild caught red-eyes have more intense orange on their feet and hands, than the captive bred ones. Probably has something to do with their natural diet.

Immortal

I think people are getting confused, Haiku (new red eye) is the captive bred, Orchid, my old one, is the wild caught.

He was dark green in the pet store, before I got him home. He was a week or so ago when I saw him before, dark green in the pet store. On the way home (car has lots of natural light but not right in a sun beam) he was light green. Once I put him in his new terrarium, dark green and big pupils again. He isn't in an area of the room where there is the most light, but to put him in more light I'd have to move a lot of things in the room (including most of the tarantulas). If need be though I'll move him into more light. I don't know if he is confused whether it is night or day? They feed him in the morning when the store opens, which may confuse him too. But at least I know he's eating so he isn't too stressed to not eat.

I'd also like to hear more on that treatment whatever it may be.

Thanks everyone, I'm happy to have the new addition! He'd wandering around his enclosure.

artes

Haiku and Orchid are both really cute froggies. Grats on your two babies!

Congrats on the new addition, he's pretty cute. Looking forward to more pictures as he settles in.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal View Post
    Oh one weird thing though, they had him in a tank with 2 regular (Canadian wild) tree frogs....
    Just curious, do you happen to know the species? I've never seen a frog native to Canada at sale at a Petsmart.

Immortal

There wasn't a sign or anything like they'd be for sale.. so it was a bit odd. I wanted to say "You can't keep these species together!" But I already told them that the red eye was stressed lol.

They were brown, kinda dusty colour.

It looked something like this, I only had a glance at it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Po...08_041_ipb.jpg

Edit to add:

Update on Haiku. It's 9 pm, Orchid is dark green and starting to wake up. Haiku is bright green and sleeping. I think maybe he has night and day mixed up. Maybe if they had a heat lamp on 24/7, he wouldn't have any actual night cycle. He also got fed in the morning, which could be confusing. Going to try to keep him on a normal night/day schedule and maybe he'll figure out what's going on lol.

bshmerlie

Congrats on your newest addition. Give him time he will settle in.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Feeding in the day time could have been confusing him at the store. I have heard of people buying nocturnal frogs and trying to "train" them into being diurnal, which can be very stressful for the frog and lead to illness. Give him some time to acclimate and see what happens. He could just be confused from the ride from the store to home and his new environment. My White's have been with me for months and sometimes sleep all through the night and are awake for a little while in the day time. They can be weird sometimes...

But anyway, congrats on the new edition! He looks healthy and happy, at least in the pictures, give him some time to settle in!
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Grrrit

I get so exited when I hear about new additions! Congrats!

I'm sure he'll settle in with time. No worries

spadefoottoad17

Thumbs up Re: Sooo guess what I brought home today...

Awwwh your little frog is so cute. Congratulations! He is so lucky to have a great home.

Immortal

Thanks everyone!

They're both sleeping and he's dark green still, but it's still early lol. I may move him closer to the window so he knows it's day time and to sleep.

And update on Orchid, I saw her eating last night and stalking prey. I've only seen her eat once before since I got her, but crickets keep dissapearing so I'm sure she's been eating. I think she is settling in well.

leesahlynn

cute!! I love red eyes, they're so interesting to watch.

I saw my girl eat for the first time last night as well, it was insane, she dove right off a branch and slammed a cricket, then proceeded to eat the other three I threw in, leaving absolutely none for poor Magnus. pfff. Fat frog.

Good luck with yours! Gonna try breeding them eventually?

Immortal

Haha that's cute.

I'd like to try to breed them someday, I'm not in a rush though. They have to mature (if they are not already) so I know 100% what sexes I have (even though I call one her and the other him). And I need to learn more on breeding before I just go ahead and do it lol.

Zach

Congrats! The "native" treefrogs you said they had with the red eye would be gray treefrogs, they are the only ones native to Canada. The picture you said that resembled them is an Asian or African species.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information