Thread: Is my Pacman trying to hibernate?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Is my Pacman trying to hibernate?

Hey guys.

I am concerned about my pacman frog. Early this morning our house got a little bit cold. Not really that cold, just a little chilly. I really want to get a thermometer in my room, but I haven't swung by the store in awhile.

I went to look for my pacman frog today. I couldn't find it looking into the habitat, so I took off the clear lid to see if I could see it. It took a little bit of searching, but I finally saw an eye buried under the substrate. I am concerned that my pacman is going to slip into hibernation. I haven't taken it out yet to see if its skin was plastic-like.

Anyway, other than hibernation I also think my pacman frog is getting stuck. As odd as it sounds, the other day I went to feed it a crciket in the pacman's habitat. The cricket walked right by my pacman frog, and I saw the substrate move. At the time, my pacman frog was burrowed (as usual). The substrate moved, buut my pacman frog was pretty much in the same place. I know it was hungry because I didn't feed it but 1 cricket the day before.

I had to literally unbury it. Once I did, it jumped on the cirkcet.

So my room is warmer now. My pacman frog is stuck, or hibernating. Should I check on it? How do I keep my pacman frog from getting stuck in the substrate (cocofiber)?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bshmerlie

Default Re: Is my Pacman trying to hibernate?

I don't believe he is getting stuck. Just check your temps and make sure he is warm enough. I've been having a similar problem with one of my Stolzmanni's and a loss of appetite. Mine would eat only when dug up and sometimes not even then. I began to worry and Jeff Kennedy has been working with me trying to try different options to boost the appetite. Here's what I've been doing and so far it's working. I lowered the soil level to where he can not cover up his eyes completely. So he always has to look out a little bit. I'm thinking that is was just to cool down under the soil. If you stick your finger in it you will notice that it is remarkably cooler even a half inch down. My guy may have been just a lilttle too cool under there and just lost his appetite. By lowering the soil level now he's forced to stay up where it is warmer. Now he has figured a way to just keep backing up to get the soil over his head but its not that much and I've had a stern talking to him about it and he's promised not to do it again. Anyway this is just my two cents with a Pacman that might be too cool and losing his appetite. I am in no way an expert with these guys and I am still in the trial and error phase with them as well. Jeff Kennedy is the man to talk to about some of their quirkly behaviors. He is the Fat Frog Guru.

Nationality
    [United States]

Leapin' Lizards - Electrolytes with Vitamins & Minerals helped my pacmans appetite within 3 days of using it daily he started eating again, also worked for one of my leopard geckos and I also use Pet Authority Acidophiliz+ occasionally for all my herps. And lowering the soil sounds like a good idea^.Hope this helps.
    Hakuna Matata

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks for the information!

Odd thing is, I keep getting the point of burrowing mixed up for whatever reason. I was thinking that my pacman frog was trying to get warm by digging. I have no undertank heater, so I doubt that is true.

My tempretures were at the prefered range, but my pacman frog burrowed while it was still a little bit chilly. Odd behavior?

I am not all that worried about my pacman losing its appetite. You guys know better than me, but I can't imagine my pacman frog refusing food if it hasn't been offered within 24 hours. It is sooo fat. I am wondering if my pacman frog is too fat. I guess I can save that for another thread.

The substrate is already pretty low. My pacman is in a temporary container, and the substrate is just, just a little bit higher than my pacman's head. My pacman, I think, was burried as far as it could go earlier, which wasn't all that far. I will probably get it deeper substrate if the weather doesn't get too cold/warm.

artes

"Now he has figured a way to just keep backing up to get the soil over his head but its not that much and I've had a stern talking to him about it and he's promised not to do it again. "

I thought I was the only one who lectured my frogs when they needed it. >_> Lol. I also lecture my fish. I swear, my female firemouth is starting to understand what it means when I start shaking my finger at her for chasing the other fish.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes! A fellow fishkeeper! I think I might add my fish tanks to my sig, but that would be a long sig. I LOVE firemouths, but I don't have enough room to keep any.

artes

Adding my fish tanks would make my sig ridiculous. I mostly keep CA/SA cichlids and bettas. I have three firemouths - one female and two men. The men are in a tank away from the female. I would list my other cichlids, but I don't want to hijack your own thread - let's just say I'm a pretty obsessive fish keeper, and I have some really awesome fish!

Nationality
    [United States]

Is there a fish sub-forum on Frog Forum? If there was, I could post pictures of fish from all my 6 of my freshwater tanks, and my saltwater tank (totalling 123 gallons of water). That would be neat.

To be on topic (lol), my pacman burrowed a little bit today (after I dug it out for feeding time yesterday). I am about to dig it out again for another 15 minute feeding time. I am going to have to start a thread about this, but I think my pacman frog is starting to get abit fat. It appears to be huge for it's size, although, that might be because I had it since it was a baby.

artes

I'm not sure if there is. There is a pretty neat fish forum called Monster Fish Keepers that I frequent. I'll check in just a minute to make sure there's not a sub on here - if there is, I'll post my fishies too!

If you're worried he's a little chubby, you could do what I do for mine - make him an exercise bin. I use a rubbermaid container, line it with wet paper towels, and stick on a latex glove. I then annoy him to make him run in circles around the bin. I actually only had to annoy him the first couple times, after that he took the hint and now hops around on his own.

artes

Other Animals - Other Pets at FrogForum.net

I will post some fish pictures there!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by artes View Post
    If you're worried he's a little chubby, you could do what I do for mine - make him an exercise bin. I use a rubbermaid container, line it with wet paper towels, and stick on a latex glove. I then annoy him to make him run in circles around the bin. I actually only had to annoy him the first couple times, after that he took the hint and now hops around on his own.
    That is SO cute XD !! I have got to make me one of those. What size was your exercise container (approx.)? I need to get me one of those lol. Did you put any moister in there like mist or anything? That sounds neat! I can hardly imagine my pacman doing any exercise on it's own, but sounds possible.

I am a member of Monster Fish Keepers, but my favorite fish forum is Tropical Fish Keeping. That is the cleanest, most informative fish forum I have ever found. There are many experts, and all of my questions have been answered quickly there. I also answer a ton of questions there, as I am a pretty knowledgeble fish keeper, if I do say so myself (lol).

I think I am off to post a tank tour in the Other Pets sub-forum. It is time I get some fishkeeping fame around here lol.

artes

Er, I got one of the gray bins at Wal-Mart. I'm not sure what size it is - I think its the mediumish one? You could go smaller if you needed to, since he just hops in a circle anyway. I keep a spray bottle around if he looks dry, but otherwise I just stick with the wet papertowels. I usually only leave him in there for around 15 minutes anyway, so he doesn't really start to dry in that time period it seems.

I've never heard of Tropical Fish Keeping, I'll have to check that out.

http://www.frogforum.net/other-pets/...html#post55858
    There is my post! I tried not to do picture overload, so that's no where near all my fish.
    Last edited by artes; April 14th, 2011 at 09:12 AM. Reason: too many "anyways"

Thread Information