Thread: Impaction?

Drizzle

Default Impaction?

Hey guys,

Kinda scared for my pyxie frog... I think he may be impacted. He has not pooped in a week and a half and his appetite has gone down a bit. Some days he'll eat really well but others his feeding response I think is lower.

I think this started when I switched to feeding him only superworms. Before I did mainly crickets and then crickets + superworms but I switched to just superworms because of how cheap and easy to care for they are.

He has been burrowing and trying to aestivate and I'll leave him for a day or two, then wake him up and place him in warm water so hopefully he can pass whatevers in him.

Any suggestions on what to do? I'm really worried.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

spencerburgo

Default Re: Impaction?

Quote Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
    Hey guys,

Kinda scared for my pyxie frog... I think he may be impacted. He has not pooped in a week and a half and his appetite has gone down a bit. Some days he'll eat really well but others his feeding response I think is lower.

I think this started when I switched to feeding him only superworms. Before I did mainly crickets and then crickets + superworms but I switched to just superworms because of how cheap and easy to care for they are.

He has been burrowing and trying to aestivate and I'll leave him for a day or two, then wake him up and place him in warm water so hopefully he can pass whatevers in him.

Any suggestions on what to do? I'm really worried.
    if you keap soaking him in warm water that normally does the trick, why does he keep trying to go in to estavation are his tempratures and humidity ok ?,

cheers spencer...........

Drizzle

His temps are good, but the humidity is really low. I spray the substrate daily but I still can't get it to maintain a high %.

I think I may need to buy a humidifier unless someone else knows a cheaper way.

spencerburgo

His temps are good, but the humidity is really low. I spray the substrate daily but I still can't get it to maintain a high %.

I think I may need to buy a humidifier unless someone else knows a cheaper way.
    what are you keeping him in? tank rub etc. and doea it have a lid if so is the lid a mesh one as a lot of the moisture could be going out the top you could combat this by placing some plastic over 2/3rds of the lid this would keep the humidity up,

cheers spencer.........

Drizzle

20 Gallon Long glass tank with mesh top. I'll try that plastic suggestion, thanks!

Drizzle

Sorry double post.

spencerburgo

20 Gallon Long glass tank with mesh top. I'll try that plastic suggestion, thanks!
    that will solve the humidity problem, but the heat will increase slightly so keep an eye on your tempratures to until you get it right,

cheers spencer..............

Wormwood

The large superworms do take a while for smaller frog/toads to pass. I know when I have super worms for my cane toads, and drop a few to my American toads it does plump them up for a few weeks.

The only guess is that the shells take longer to move through them, but I've never had any actual impaction problems. Just don't go crazy with feeding him, let him decide when his appiete returns.

Drizzle

Quote Originally Posted by Wormwood View Post
    The large superworms do take a while for smaller frog/toads to pass. I know when I have super worms for my cane toads, and drop a few to my American toads it does plump them up for a few weeks.

The only guess is that the shells take longer to move through them, but I've never had any actual impaction problems. Just don't go crazy with feeding him, let him decide when his appiete returns.
    He's about 4.5" svl so I think he's big enough to be eating good sized supers.

He's definitely impacted... I've seen him attempt to poop but he just can't.

He ate a couple superworms today but then tried to poop and couldn't and lost his appetite. Should I stop feeding him?

Going to call a local herp vet soon when I get my next paycheck. Anyone know about how much it would cost to get him checked up/taken care of?

Thread Information