Thread: Help with tree frog pick? pics of viv!

Frogking

Default Help with tree frog pick? pics of viv!

Hey guys been away for a while busy with a lot of different reptile projects. I set up a planted viv about 4 weeks ago and everything is going good. I have nothing in their right now but I am attending the New York reptile expo next sunday and plan to maybe get some tree frogs. Can you guys look at my setup and let me know what species you think will do best for what I have. I would have liked to get 4 tree frogs but my viv is only about 20 extra high custom cage. So i'm thinking I might only be able to get 2 tree frogs maybe 3 if their small. Please advise. I ordered all my plants from LLLreptile.com. I also have a reti-fogger and a mister. As you can see I went for the overly planted look. This is why I cant put most reptiles in here because it would be to hard to clean. This set up was originally designed for a chameleon. But I think it would better fit a tree frog species.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Leefrogs

Default Re: Help with tree frog pick? pics of viv!

Wow, you have allot of color, I'd go for a frog that is bright and sticks out. Maybe red eyes, or milkys, maybe a tiger leg.

Frogking

Thanks lllreptile picked some nice plants to send me. It was my first time ordering plants and I ordered way to much. I actually had more plants and decided to make a second viv that I have another reptile in. I like the red eyes and tiger legs. Question can they be housed together?

pez

Quote Originally Posted by Frogking View Post
    Thanks lllreptile picked some nice plants to send me. It was my first time ordering plants and I ordered way to much. I actually had more plants and decided to make a second viv that I have another reptile in. I like the red eyes and tiger legs. Question can they be housed together?
    Answer: No they can't.

Is better never to mix different species for several reasons including food competition, skin toxins, diferent requierments...

By the way, nice viv!

Grrrit

I bet Super tiger legs would do well in there. Milkys might be too big when they're full grown for some of those plants. Red eyes would be cool too. I guess it's just personal preference

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Frogking View Post
    I like the red eyes and tiger legs. Question can they be housed together?
    Red eyes are much larger than tiger legs (P. hypochondrialis), the size difference could be very stressful for the tigers and there is also the problem of feeder size, the crickets for the red eyes will be too big for the tigers.

daziladi

I've heard that tree frogs don't like fogger's, in case that makes a difference in your decision. I know Chester would be gaga to be in that viv though! Nice job.

Frogking

Ok thanks guys Im not a fan of mixing species anyway but I figured I would ask. I'm leaning towards the red eye tree frogs but I still really like the tiger legs guys to. I guess it will come down to what they have at the expo the last expo I went to had tons of tree frogs so I should have a nice selection to choose from. About the fogger I think its just to look cool because most of the time I have to mist the viv manually because the fogger does not get the right size dew drops on the leave. Especially when dealing with animals who cant see standing water to drink out of a water dish like some frogs and chameleons. The leaves have to be very wet and sometimes the fogger does not do the job.

Plants:
    ficus tree
    Assorted Tillandsias
    Bromeliads
    The Earth's Star Plant - Cryptanthus bivittatus

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

In a twenty gallon you could probably keep three or four tiger legs. I have two P. tomopterna in an eleven gallon tall and they seem to be doing fine. They're the bigger and more brightly colored of the species. I would go for them or their cousins P. hypochondrialis as four of them will be more comfortable in a twenty gallon. Their great frogs, but can be a little weird at times. XD
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Thread Information