Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mist King Installation and Evaluation

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Mist King Installation and Evaluation

Note: The following is the beginning to a series of posts I will be adding to as I install the new Mist King misting system I was so lucky to win here on the forum.

Since I do not have a tank in place and do not want to change the current system on my Dendrobates leucomelas viv, it will take some time to actually complete this project.
    Feel free to post comments and questions

Mist King Installation and Evaluation
    The following will provide you with simple step by step instructions for installing a Mist King© Basic misting system.
    By Don Lisk April 9th, 2011

Overview

• The Mist King Basic system is intended to provide you with a reliable and expandable misting system.
    • Basic unit will run one vivarium with multiple misting options including frequency and duration of mist.
    • Additional nozzles, ball check valves, and so on can be added to the basic system to operate on many tanks at one time.

Box Includes

• Diaphragm pump with a 24V DC adapter
    • 1/4" connectors on the pump
    • 1 Value misting nozzles
    • Reservoir bulkhead with o-ring and plug
    • 15 feet of 1/4" black opaque tubing
    • Digital Seconds Timer with instructions

*reference: MistKing Misting Systems by Jungle Hobbies Ltd

• Packaging is a basic brown cardboard box that is well packed and ships with little chance of travel damage.
    • It is recommended to inventory all pieces prior to beginning installation.
    • No instructions are included and customer is referred to the Mist King website for PDF instructions.

Needed Materials

• Power Drill
    • 3/4 Inch Spade Drill Bit or Equivalent
    • Adjustable Wrench
    • Container - IE: Bucket
    • Water

Container Selection

• For this installation I selected a basic 5 gallon bucket.
    • Not the most aesthetically pleasing, but the container can be hidden in a cabinet or set into something more eye pleasing; such as a wicker laundry basket, wooden box, or placed behind something such as a plant.

Step One – Bulkhead Coupling

• The bulkhead coupling is a small link that allows the water to flow through the side of the bucket.
    • Installation should be one inch above the bottom of the bucket.
    • Lower installation has greater chance of allowing debris to get to the pump if something falls into the container.

• At this point you will drill a Ύ inch hole into the container with the spade drill bit. Standard bits can also be used.
    • Ensure o-ring is installed on the coupling and put it into the hole from inside the container.

• Once it initially goes in, you will have to screw it through the hole until the o-ring meets the container side. This does take some force. I had to enlarge the hole slightly by spinning a knife blade lightly around the hole a few times.
    • Next place the coupling nut on the coupling from the outside of the container and tighten it.
    • Only tighten it to the point where you see the o-ring on the inside of the container compress slightly.
    • Now turn the coupling nut slightly tighter but don't over-tighten or completely crush the o-ring.

Next we must test the seal.

Coupling Seal Testing

• To test the seal of the new coupling you have installed, you will need to have some Ό inch hose on hand. I cut one six inch piece from the supplied hose for testing.
    • Insert the hose into the coupling on the outside of the container.
    • Push it in firmly until it stops.
    • Tape the non-connected end of the hose to the container above the coupling.
    • Add water to just above the coupling and allow to sit for 30 minutes.
    • If the coupling leaks, tighten the coupling nut a little more.
    • If the coupling continues to leak, drain bucket and loosen the coupling. Reinstall it ensuring the o-ring is seated on the coupling correctly and test again.

Conclusion – Step One

• Fairly simple to complete
    • If you oversize the hole, either the container needs to be replaced, or you will have to silicone the coupling in and test after the silicone dries.
    • Approximate time to complete was 40 minutes including the 30 minutes of testing.

References:
    Mist King Bulkhead Coupling Installation Manual
    Mist King Website MistKing Misting Systems by Jungle Hobbies Ltd
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Mist King Installation and Evaluation

The coupling installation is only a few minute job. Drill a hole, slide coupling in, tighten and test.
    To obtain a copy of the above instructions in PDF format..... CLICK HERE

The next step will be adding the misting nozzles to the vivarium.

Location with a single nozzle is going to be tricky on a longer, lower vivarium such as a 20 Long that is set up horizontally.
    Taller enclosures will make location selection easier since you can aim down into the enclosure.

Aiming the nozzles from the front of the top (or sides) towards the back will lessen the amount of mist that would cover the front glass.

For my vivarium, I will add in an second nozzle to give better mist coverage.

Now for my questions to some build experts

1. What drill bit is best used for drilling a hole into glass tops?
    2. Would you put the nozzles in by connecting inline to each other or parallel the hoses off a splitter (IE: "T")? And why?

clownonfire

Don, you're amazing. Read the whole thing this morning, and I will use this once I get the frog room and make sense of all the vivs.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thanks Eric.
    Should be interesting and I can't wait to pick up another tank to get started. Selecting the tank is tough, 20 high or 20 long. Guess that depends on the frog choice :-)

bshmerlie

Glad you're having fun with it Don. Im happy that you're putting it to good use. Are you going to be able to hook up more than one tank?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    Glad you're having fun with it Don. Im happy that you're putting it to good use. Are you going to be able to hook up more than one tank?

Thanks Cheri,
    Sure, it can easily do three tanks with the supplied nozzles if one nozzle per tank.... three verticals would be perfect for this.
    I may do a 20 high vertical and if all goes well, blend it into my present viv running two nozzles. Its a tough decision since the current dart viv is running so perfectly.

bshmerlie

I wouldn't mess with the one already set up. Just add it to more tanks as you expand and kick your wife out of the bedroom.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Shes already looking at the spare junk room to see where she can fit a cot.

Right now I am trying to figure out how to fit a set of T5 bulbs into covering the two different tree frog tanks.
    Its just not working.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by DonLisk View Post
    The coupling installation is only a few minute job. Drill a hole, slide coupling in, tighten and test.
    To obtain a copy of the above instructions in PDF format..... CLICK HERE

The next step will be adding the misting nozzles to the vivarium.

Location with a single nozzle is going to be tricky on a longer, lower vivarium such as a 20 Long that is set up horizontally.
    Taller enclosures will make location selection easier since you can aim down into the enclosure.

Aiming the nozzles from the front of the top (or sides) towards the back will lessen the amount of mist that would cover the front glass.

For my vivarium, I will add in an second nozzle to give better mist coverage.

Now for my questions to some build experts

1. What drill bit is best used for drilling a hole into glass tops?
    2. Would you put the nozzles in by connecting inline to each other or parallel the hoses off a splitter (IE: "T")? And why?
    Don,

You want to use a diamond drill bit. The only local place I have found them are at Lowes. Otherwise you can find them on the internet.

I would connect each tank's nozzles inline and use a manifold for multiple tanks.

The manifold should give equal pressure to all lines where if you just ran one line for all tanks you would have less pressure at the far nozzles. For the nozzles in one tank I think you could probably do 3 or 4 no problem off one line.
    1.2.0 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Azureus'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Lamasi 'Orange'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Ventrimaculatus 'Understory Line'
    0.3.0 Dendrobates leucomelas

--------------------------------------------------
    As always your mileage may vary!
    I may or may not know what I'm talking about!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM670 View Post
    Don,

You want to use a diamond drill bit. The only local place I have found them are at Lowes. Otherwise you can find them on the internet.

I would connect each tank's nozzles inline and use a manifold for multiple tanks.

The manifold should give equal pressure to all lines where if you just ran one line for all tanks you would have less pressure at the far nozzles. For the nozzles in one tank I think you could probably do 3 or 4 no problem off one line.

Thanks Mike
    The Ultimate system has a no drip piece which I haven't read up on yet but it has you run the nozzles in series and then back to the main line just before the pump. It connects to the power supply also so I wonder if this is what assists in keeping the pressure up.

I'll check out Lowes for the size bit I will need. Comfortable drilling plexiglass but never drilled through glass.

mdtalley22

I actually set up mistking today! I know I am a relatively new member and have only posted a few times but I read just about every post...I was going to get the monsoon but everywhere was out so I just decided to go ahead and get a mistking. It's installation was pretty easy and I got the basics package with the no drip thing-a-ma-jig. The only problem was the basic package only comes with one nozzle and they didn't include the required head to route it back to the no drip thing, but I haven't had a chance to email them about it yet. But I set it up so far with out it and it has worked great! I have a planted terrarium that is going to be for some clown tree frogs that are arriving after I get back from spring break. I am going to order a second nozzle since I have a carnivorous plant tank next to my frog tank....

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Hi Mike, did you buy the Plus add on or just the no-drip valve?
    A "T" connector would allow for the routing of a line back to the no-drip valve and the plus add on package should have that.

The Plus add on should also have some "T" connectors on each nozzle where I see the basic system doesn't have extra connectors.

I can't wait to finish setting this one up.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by DonLisk View Post
    Thanks Mike
    The Ultimate system has a no drip piece which I haven't read up on yet but it has you run the nozzles in series and then back to the main line just before the pump. It connects to the power supply also so I wonder if this is what assists in keeping the pressure up.

I'll check out Lowes for the size bit I will need. Comfortable drilling plexiglass but never drilled through glass.
    Do some research on the web on drilling glass. One place I lurk is reefcentral.com. It is a saltwater website that has tons of information.

One way to drill glass you build a dam around the location you want to drill. Fill it with water and then with the drill lightly press the bit onto the glass. Just let the bit drill through the hole and keep the bit and glass covered with water. Also place a towel below the hole to catch the glass as it falls. I would cover the towel with something disposable so you just throw the whole thing away.
    1.2.0 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Azureus'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Lamasi 'Orange'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Ventrimaculatus 'Understory Line'
    0.3.0 Dendrobates leucomelas

--------------------------------------------------
    As always your mileage may vary!
    I may or may not know what I'm talking about!

mdtalley22

Right a t connector...I only got the zip drip and not the plus pack...oh well! I will probably just get an extra connector when I order another nozzle. Tho the system has been working well so far just being setup with the one nozzle

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

GREAT thread Don, thanks for posting this, we all may be needing it in the future. XD And great pictures by the way, very clear and nice looking presentation.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Being that it was such a nice sunny day here, the family was off to see Cinderellea, and I had lots of free time on my hand, I had to play with the new Mist King system.

The above instruction were pretty much the only obsticle to putting the system together and in use for me since I decided to just remove the Exo-Terra Monsoon and leave the already installed nozzles to use with the Mist King.

1. I compared the nozzles and they were very similar at the nozzle end.
    • The Monsoon is more plug and play with suction cups to hold the nozzle in place.
    • The Mist King nozzles must be installed through the a piece of glass or screen to hold the nozzle in place. Thus, drilling is required.

2. To install the system once your bucket is prepared:
    • Simply connect your bucket to the pump.
    • Then your pump to the nozzle.
    • Connect your timer to the pump.
    • Then plug the timer in. Thats it.

I set the timer to run similar to how I setup the Monsoon, 15 second durations and 4 times a day.

3. Timer:
    • The Monsoon is not a percise setting as you select time intervals such as every 6, 8, 12 hours. You then select the amount of time you want it to spray for example, 16, 30, up to 120 seconds. If you can setup a digital alarm clock, you can easily set up the time here.
    • The Mist King on the other hand allows for up to 8 preset time to run, and each time can be set to spray for a different duration.

I select 7am, 12 noon, 6pm, and 10pm. Each setting I set for a 15 second run time.

I first cycle did not run at 12 noon and after reviewing the manual found the the timer will keep time but not run a cycle until the internal battery is charge for two hours.

4. Mist King's First Cycle:
    • At 6pm the timer set off the system flawlessly.
    • The spray from the nozzle was much more of a high preasure finer mist.
    • The spray lasted the full 15 seconds and was very impressive compared to the Monsoon.

To compare the two system I would have to say that the Monsoon is a good reliable misting system. Does the job but does have its limitations. These limitations would be number of nozzles to supply would be probably no more than 4 since the preasure wouldn't be enough to really supply 6 or more.
    The Monsoon can also be noisy if the top vibrates while sitting on the plastic tank. I almost did not hear the Mist King start up until I heard the mist itself.

Conclusion:
    • Monsoon
    • Easy setup
    • Can easily supply a 3 to 4 nozzles
    • Simple to program
    • Will keep you viv happy or 3 to 4 vivs happy is each is using single nozzles.

Mist King:
    • More complicated installation
    • More powerful pump.
    • Can easily supply a pile of nozzles
    • Glass or screen drilling required
    • Quieter than the Monsoon.
    • Will keep plenty of vivs happy

I hope this will help you in your decision to purchase either of these systems.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Cheri, thank you so much for your generosity and all you do for this forum.

clownonfire

That is good to know, Don. I have to say I am really happy with the Monsoon. I am only using 2 nozzles in one tank, and wasn't sure if I would be able to connect two more nozzles in another tank.... I am thinking about adding two for the Atelopus tank. But I'm afraid of the loss of pressure.

The Mist King seems ideal when you have many vivs to keep humid. Because of it's more complex installation, I might just invite you over to give me a hand if I ever go there... I'll then invite you to Schwartz's, the best smoked meat in town.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clownonfire View Post
    That is good to know, Don. I have to say I am really happy with the Monsoon. I am only using 2 nozzles in one tank, and wasn't sure if I would be able to connect two more nozzles in another tank.... I am thinking about adding two for the Atelopus tank. But I'm afraid of the loss of pressure.

The Mist King seems ideal when you have many vivs to keep humid. Because of it's more complex installation, I might just invite you over to give me a hand if I ever go there... I'll then invite you to Schwartz's, the best smoked meat in town.
    If I jump the border I may have to stay there a while.
    Tough jumping back once they are watching for you

I don't think you will have a problem with four nozzles Eric. The Monsoon is definitely powerful enough for that. The Mist King, on the other hand, pumps the water hard enough to smack the hose off my wall and make a pretty loud thumping noise if I don't secure the hose.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The following are two examples of how the Mist King can be set up for multiple tanks.
    The first example uses "T" sections in the line and the supply line will return to a valve that connects to the power source on the pump to cycle water back to the pump and reduce the chance of water dripping from the nozzles after running.

The second example is more basic and connects each nozzle in a series and ends at the last nozzle. Note that all nozzles except the last one would have a T section built into the nozzle or supply line and the last nozzle becomes the end of the supply line.
    Nozzle of both types and T sections are available from Mist King directly or suppliers such as Josh's Frogs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information