Thread: Hi

jessiep

Default Hi

Hello Everyone!

I share my abode with an albino ACF named Frick, an ADF named Itsy, a beta fish named beta, two cats - Tinker and Belle, and of course my husband. I am not sure of the sex of Beta but the frogs and cats are all female.

I was given Frick, Itsy, and Beta as gifts. They were all given to me in those Beta cube habitats. Frick had a sister Frack who escaped the beta cube and I never found her. I saw one droplet of water on top of the cube and searched high and low to no avail. I suspect one of the cats may have eaten her since any bug that enters our home gets stalked and eaten by my cats.

After receiving the frogs and beta fish I started researching them. I discovered quite quickly that these beta cubes were not the correct habitat for the frogs. So I purchased a 10g tank with filter for Frick the ACF and a 3 gallon tank with filter for Itsy (ADF) and Beta. Everyone seems to be quite happy. Frick got much larger more than twice her original size. I feed Frick ReptoMin floating food sticks and once a week a treat of ReptoTreat bloodworms from the squeeze package. Beta gets beta fish pellets and Itsy gets HBH frog and tadpole bites that sink. Everyone seems content and happy.

The only issue I have is Frick's tank keeps getting a buildup of green algae. The tank is not in the sun. I am not sure if it is safe to use Tetra algae control in a tank with a ACF. Any advice on how to combat algae issues? I have just been using a scrapper to control it at the moment.

Any other advice on caring for and making my frogs as happy as possible is greatly appreciated. I really am enjoying their company. Belle (one of my cats) and I love watching Frick eat all of her floating sticks at feeding time. Both tanks are secure so that the cats cannot get into them and the frogs cannot escape.

Jess

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hi

Hi Jess

Welcome to Frog Forum. We have a very active aquatic clawed frog forum, so please check it out.

Concerning algae control and frogs, it is best not to use any chemicals with your ACFs and ADFs. The best advise is to scrape the green algae. In their native habitat, these frogs live in water that has heavy algae growth, so that would not be a problem for the frogs, although for us humans, it looks a bit tacky

If you want to eliminate the unsightly algae naturally, I suggest planting your aquarium with a variety of fast growing aquatic plants, such as, Cabomba, Hygrophila, Vallisneria (even floating plants will do), The plants will eliminate algae through a process called allelopathy - this is a biological process whereby one organism produces biochemicals that will restrict the growth of another organism.

Good luck

Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Thread Information