Thread: Introduction take 2!!!

stickytoes1977

Default Introduction take 2!!!

Hello!!! I am an avid frog lover and have been for many decades. I am from the Boise, Idaho area and after a 10 year break have decided to look into getting back into the Frog hobby. For 15 years or so I had many species of frogs and toads as pets. Most were treefrogs like the Pacific(Just found out on this forum that it is against the rules to have them as pets!!!), Barking, Cuban, Green, White lipped, and Spring Peepers. I also have had fire bellied and Western toads, and a Amercian Bullfrog by the name of Gerty among others including Tomato and Clawed Frogs. I enjoyed my pets/friends for many years until I got married, had children, and got extremely busy. I was in the Reef Tank hobby for many years but just plain can't afford to keep up with it in these trying times so I have sold everything and decided to take up Amphibians again.

What rekindled my passion has been this season of Survivor shot in Nicaragua. They constantly show shots of Red Eyed Tree Frogs. As a child and teenager that was always a dream of mine to have a Red Eye, but I never came across one for sell. Things have changed apparantly and they are now available commercially. I think that is the direction I would like to go, with a possible look at Poison Dart Frogs as well. (In seperate enclosures of course!!)

Anyway through reading the care sheet here on the forum and looking at other information found on the web I do believe I have what it takes to keep these guys alive and happy. I was misting frogs and dusting crickets way back in the day and could easily find the time and love to do it again. The hobby has come a long way in the last ten years. I have some information to digest and new data to learn!!

I have a couple questions. What does everyone thing about the Eco Terra enclosures? I have a chance to get a 12x12x18 set up for around 50 bucks. What that be sufficient space for 2 to 3 Red Eyes? They are arbol frogs and like to climb, would a taller cage be better? Who are some good dealers to deal with where I can get captive raised healthy frogs from? I don't mind paying 50ish for them, but have heard you can get froglets for around 30ish. Younger animals do not scare me, as I have rasied tadpoles and froglets for years. I had 4 fire bellied toads that in a couple years time turned into well over a hundred. I had to get a 180g tank for them, before I started giving some away and selling some to the local pet stores. Anyway any information I should know or any questions you could answer would be most welcome!

I look forward to getting to know you all a lot better.
    Ribbit!!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Introduction take 2!!!

Welcome to the forum.
    The 12x12x18 is too small for the Agalychnis callidryas (Red Eyed Tree Frog) and if your thinking on three, then your best bet is the 18x18x24 Exo-Terra or the Zoo Med.

I think the Exo-Terra is nice and like the door latch better than the one on the Zoo Med.

I have two and they are in a 18x18x18 Exo-Terra and I wish sometimes I opted for the taller one since it was the same price.
    Red Eyes need height and plenty of leaf/vine travel area since they will rarely walk on the substrate. Low to high plants in the viv do these frogs good and large leaf plants give them plenty of night time perches and places to feel secure and hide.

Go for the bigger Exo-Terra and you and the frogs will be happier in the long run.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Leefrogs

I have no exoterra. Do I'm n good there. I almost broke down and got one but decided against it because soon I will build one 100 gal for the price of a 40 exoterra. All that wasn't the point of it post. I'm getting a cousin to the reds, the yellow eye, blue sided, Agalychinis annae. These were quite rare-- 400$ each kind of rare. But Joshs frogs had a good clutch and great-- super great price 40$!! Also his red eyes are like 24$? Shop around, good luck.

Immortal

Welcome!

Nice that you rekindled your old hobby. I myself have always been in awe with red eyed tree frogs but never had the chance to see one in person until a couple weeks ago when I randomly ventured into a pet store and they had some! ... I went back a couple days later and brought my first one home.

I had a 5.5 gallon tank which was just temporary until I bought a bigger terrarium. I have Orchid in a 18x18x24 and I am glad I went with that size, expecially since I plan to get her a friend to hang out with.

bshmerlie

Welcome to the forum sticky. I agree for three you should go bigger. Why don't you check out craigslist you can usually get a bigger tank for the same price.

stickytoes1977

Thanks for the replies!! I will defiantly watch craigslist, that is where the 12x12x18 set up was for sale for 50 bucks. I think I will still pick it up and use it for the quaratine tank, or alternate tank while cleaning the larger one(18x18x24) that I will get as the primary housing unit.

Josh's frogs? Is that a retail store or a forum member? Do they have an online store? How much does he normally charge for shipping on a couple of frogs?

Thank you for the warm welcomes and I am going to keep reading and learn as much as I can about Red Eyes before taking the plunge and make sure their home will be everything they need. I learned years ago if you cut corners your frogs and wallet end up paying for it. It is better to do things the right way and you and your animals will be happier!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stickytoes1977 View Post
    Thanks for the replies!! I will defiantly watch craigslist, that is where the 12x12x18 set up was for sale for 50 bucks. I think I will still pick it up and use it for the quaratine tank, or alternate tank while cleaning the larger one(18x18x24) that I will get as the primary housing unit.

Josh's frogs? Is that a retail store or a forum member? Do they have an online store? How much does he normally charge for shipping on a couple of frogs?

Thank you for the warm welcomes and I am going to keep reading and learn as much as I can about Red Eyes before taking the plunge and make sure their home will be everything they need. I learned years ago if you cut corners your frogs and wallet end up paying for it. It is better to do things the right way and you and your animals will be happier!

Joshs Frogs is an online dealer and has a great repore with many here.

Always fast shipping (same day) and has great prices compared to local shops here.
    Shipping overnight is always pricey but well worth it vise buying at the local pet store.. Captive bred, knowing age of animal, and proper care while at the retailer will pretty much ensure you get a nice frog.

We have other retailers here also that have great reputations and ship you quality.
    Timsfrogs, PoisonBeauties, Alpha Pro to name a few. (hope I have spelling right)

:-)

stickytoes1977

Ok great!! I just saw an advertisment for Alpha pro on the bottom of the forum. I will check them out, will Josh's frogs have a similiar advertisement banner? If not, does anyone have a link?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Yes and heres one of Josh's latest posts in the Sell/Trade section of the forum.

http://www.frogforum.net/sale-trade/...rogs-sale.html

Tony

Mike Novy at Rainforest Junky's is another great source for top notch CB frogs.

ARMS87

welcome

Thread Information