Thread: Trying to warm tank part II..is this safe?

kittiekuddles

Default Trying to warm tank part II..is this safe?

I'm having trouble warming my tank past 74
    one of the frogs hasnt been doing well the past week (whites tree frogs). It started out with him soaking for 24 hours, he finally got out and would just hang out on a leaf mid level in the terrarium.
    Yesterday he started doing very weird things, he would suck in his stomach and just stay that way...for hours..holding it in all tight (he is not shedding)
    so this morning when i found him still sucked in i figured that was it, hes dying. he will not eat. A cricket touched his leg and he brushed it off vigorously..which says hes not weak right?
    so this gave me hope..i went through my basement to see what i can find, and i found a 2x15 watt incendescent light fixture, i placed that above where he is and within an hour he relaxed his stomach and now looks like a normal sleeping frog, his neck did puff up though after he warmed up..like he was going to make a croaking noise but didnt, should that be a concern?
    all the other frogs are fine
    so what does it sound like it is? is he sick? or just really cold?
    i then took out my 75 watt basking light, i had no place to clamp it because the tank cover is all glass, so i clamped it onto the glass hoods handle that sticks up..then secured it with a mag-clear magnet on each side.
    the tank is getting warmer right under the light...but its over the glass, the bulb is about 8" or so above the lid.
    is this ok? will the glass lid crack? the glass lid is hot but i can leave my hand on it comfortably, its not burning hot
    here are the pics...assure me this is ok

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

kittiekuddles

Default Re: Trying to warm tank part II..is this safe?

Well after several hours the glass lid became too hot, i was scared so i opened the lid and clamped the light on the rim, then screened in that section
    So now the high top of the branch is a basking spot. A frog was on it and must have became too warm because he jetted lol
    The middle of the tank is now 76, so it helped alot
    Not sure what will ever become of the frog that may be sick..its still a guess what or if theres something wrong with him

Leefrogs

you're doing good, got it warmer anyways!! Beautiful tank by the way, very nice. I have 3 WTF and I notice one likes it way warm, the other likes it cooler. This depends on how they were raised and what temp they were kept at. That's all I can come up with. Maybe the body sucking in was equivalant to a frog shiver? I don't know. I wish u the best though.

I'm going to be dealing with a transition phase also, my house is actually very cold all summer, I leave my heat on till June. Night time a around 60 all summer. Chilly willy

kittiekuddles

Quote Originally Posted by Leefrogs View Post
    you're doing good, got it warmer anyways!! Beautiful tank by the way, very nice. I have 3 Whites Tree Frog and I notice one likes it way warm, the other likes it cooler. This depends on how they were raised and what temp they were kept at. That's all I can come up with. Maybe the body sucking in was equivalant to a frog shiver? I don't know. I wish u the best though.

I'm going to be dealing with a transition phase also, my house is actually very cold all summer, I leave my heat on till June. Night time a around 60 all summer. Chilly willy
    thank you
    I hope they know enough to hop to the warm side if their cold
    yeah still not sure whats up with that one, at least he stopped doing that, but hasnt left that same leaf and doesnt have much interest in crickets that are close to him.
    heat on til June...wow id freeze to death myself lol

Leefrogs

I would try a pedalite bath, this should give him energy if he's weak and act as an appitite stimulant. It's 1/10 mixed with warm water, you can put this in the communal bath it's ok fir the others. Put him in there and if he jumps out put him in a container of it( with a lid). Make sure it's not too deep. Hope this helps

kittiekuddles

I would try a pedalite bath, this should give him energy if he's weak and act as an appitite stimulant. It's 1/10 mixed with warm water, you can put this in the communal bath it's ok fir the others. Put him in there and if he jumps out put him in a container of it( with a lid). Make sure it's not too deep. Hope this helps
    thanks! and how long should i keep him in the pedialite?

Leefrogs

I think 15 minutes, but if you do the communal bowl, he should stay in there willingly. Also honey water is another, they love that. One drop per ounce

But the pedialite is for appitite and odviously, dehydration. Maybe 3 days, you should see quick improvement--- if not then worry

kittiekuddles

I think 15 minutes, but if you do the communal bowl, he should stay in there willingly. Also honey water is another, they love that. One drop per ounce

But the pedialite is for appitite and odviously, dehydration. Maybe 3 days, you should see quick improvement--- if not then worry
    i dont think hes dehydrated though, his skin and color look moist and normal..i think its something internal by the way he was acting
    i wondered if it was the vitamin/calcium i was putting on their food, i would coat the crickets pretty heavily with it and this stuff was really hard to wash off my fingertips, it made me wonder how the frogs even got it down without choking or getting a dry throat.
    i rubbed my eye one night that had a trace of it left and my eye was burning.
    so im going to stop the supplement for a bit and try a new brand. the one i was using was rapashy(?) it was highly recommended but i wonder

kittiekuddles

Good news! The frog that was acting oddly is fine this morning! he went hunting for crickets and he is back to normal
    I have no clue what was wrong, could have been the cold or maybe he had a hair stuck in his throat...im just so happy hes ok

Leefrogs

Me too!! Did u end up doing the bath?

kittiekuddles

[QUOTE=Leefrogs;55173]Me too!! Did u end up doing the bath?[/QUO

no i didnt do the bath because last night i figured that was it, hes gonna die and i didnt want to disturb his final hours
    i even told my husband to get ready with the tongs to pick him out, i was so sure he was a goner
    he must have just been cold this whole time..but funny how the other frogs didnt act cold..maybe hes just the winy baby of the bunch lol

hes up high in his usually spot sleeping like a baby..as if nothing was ever wrong..very odd! but im happy for him

Thread Information