Thread: Magnolia Leaves

Sharky

Exclamation Magnolia Leaves

I need magnolia leaves for a 20 - 30 gallon long. Please be gentle on price. >_<

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

froggymatt

Default Re: Magnolia Leaves

if you need magnolia leaves..let me know how many you need.......i can mail you them for free (is that cheap enough?) all i would need would be the number and a address!

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

That's a pretty awesome offer.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

froggymatt

it goes for anyone john!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I would love some Matt!

BG

Hey Matt here's my address , I just send u a PM .. Thank you in advence. I could use some for my new tanks. Please send me for a 30 long, 40 breeder,and for my 20 high. If you can thank you again.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

For anyone? you should be careful what you say, c ause I would love some too! Is that possible?

Kay

Do you use the leaves that have fallen to the ground or do you need them to be picked right off the tree? There are Magnolias around me and I'd be glad to send some to anyone who needs them.

liza

As far as i know there best picked of the ground. Please correct me if wrong.
    I would also love a small bag please pm your paypal or address and would gladly send some
    dough for shipping TYVM

Kay

I have a friend who has two very big trees. He does not spray his trees nor use anything on his grass (for the leaves that touch the ground). He has enough low branches so that I would not have to climb the tree if any of the leaves need to come right off the tree.

Liza, the shipping just be a couple of stamps for a small bag. I'll get it together and then let you know if it is more than that. PM me your address. It may be another week or so before I can get over his way to get the leaves. I also have a Live Oak tree in my yard if anyone wants some of those leaves.

Jimbok3

I have a forty year old magnolia tree I'd be more than happy to send you some (we never spray them, and the leaves are huge)
    You just have to pay shipping and + $2 and you will get more than enough for a 20-30 gallon tank

Jimbok3

I will start getting some, do you want some fresh leaves or dried leaves?, if anyone else wants some please tell me now because it is starting to drop lots of leaves, my back is hurting just thinking about all the raking. (you just need to pay shipping)

Nationality
    [United States]

That's a generous offer. I can share a bit about leaves that I've picked up over the years.

It's best to let them fall and then allow them to cure for a few weeks in a dry place. When they are green or freshly fallen from the tree (and still pliable), they rot much faster. You can pick green leaves and dry them, but they don't dry with that nice bronze color and it takes a long time before they are ready. When they become brittle, they're ready to use in the viv. Also, I recommend boiling any leaves you place in your viv to prevent parasites or fungal infections. I use thick layers of leaves and boil them all for at least 15 minutes. Another great small leaf is from the Sand Live Oak, which is a different species than the southern live oak. Sand live oak leaves come in a tremendous variety of shapes and sizes, most of which are curled. This gives the leaf litter a 3-D characteristic that allows microfauna and small or juvenile frogs hiding and foraging places. If the leaf litter is flat and wet, it won't support a healthy growth of microfauna.

Here's a photo showing the difference between southern and sand live oak leaves.

Name:  Leaves Sand vs Southern Live Oak.jpg
Views: 1237
Size:  18.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    I need magnolia leaves for a 20 - 30 gallon long. Please be gentle on price. >_<
    I used to think that I had to understand in order to believe, then I realized that I must believe in order to understand - Augustine

Thread Information