Thread: Lots of tiny bugs in my Gray's tank, Is this bad?

charlamanda

Default Lots of tiny bugs in my Gray's tank, Is this bad?

Hi all, I'm back for the moment and have couple of questions.
    I noticed occasionally when I'd get my crickets they'd be tiny bugs in with them. I had asked about them before and many of you said that this is a common occurrence so I didn't worry and just kept my cricket keeper very clean.
    Recently, however, I've noticed these same tiny bugs all over the inside of both my Gray Tree frogs tanks, a 33 & 10 gal fish tank. They are everywhere & even bounce around on the surface of their swimming pool. Due to the sheer number I've been somewhat concerned for the health & well being of my frogs so I completely emptied the 10 gal & cleaned it. Luckily I had a nice warm day I could take the tank outside to clean it. I took the potted plants and submerged the pots in warm water to drive them out of the soil, I had to do this many, many times before they were gone. So far they don't seem to have come back & if there are any they are in very small numbers. Oddly my one male in that tank used to chirp frequently, but stopped during the time the bugs were everywhere, once I cleaned the tank out he has resumed his calling.
    **Is this a coincidence or was there a reason he stopped calling?
    Cleaning the 33 gal isn't going to be as easy, plus it is still fairly cold out here so taking the whole tank outside to clean isn't an option right now. I don't want to clean the tank out inside for fear the bugs will end up all over in my home. So for now I am at a loss what to do.
    **Will it be ok to wait until the whether warms enough to take the entire tank outside, minus the frogs of course, or do these bugs pose a health hazard to my frogs and I need to address the issue immediately?
    If anyone can give me some insight to what these things are or how to kill them or how to kill them without hurting my frogs, I'd be very grateful. Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Immortal

Default Re: Lots of tiny bugs in my Gray's tank, Is this bad?

Sounds like they might be spring tails. Possibly not though but that's my guess. We've had them in our tarantula's tanks before and they don't bother them at all. I have no idea if they are alright with frogs or not. Hopefully someone can answer that!

charlamanda

Thanks. I m going to look them up to see if they could be them.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I've also had this in with my Whites and Red Eyes and they are never on the frogs.

I did have a break out of something winged in the Whites viv one time so I moved the Whites out into the new Zoo Med and cleaned that viv right out. I could not ID them so I wasn't taking any chances.

I think they came in on some plants.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

JSG

Guys from reading up on a heck of a lot of other frog, paludarium, vivarium and orchid boards I have seen this remedy offred and apparently it works very well for all unwanted critters in any tank.
    Get a block of dry ice / frozen nitrogen (not sure just know it as dry ice). Break this into smaller pieces (depending on the size of your tank) making sure that you have all corners of the tank covered with the placement of these smaller blocks.
    Then place these smaller blocks in your viv (minus the frogs of course) after you've placed these smaller blocks inside some plastic cups.
    Right, so by now, you should have 2 / 3 little plastic drinking cups in your viv with all the plants and other stuff still in it, just minus the frogs.
    Then add some HOT water to the cups and stand back agter you've closed the viv.
    The dry ice will give off a heck of a lot of gas / vapour and you want this vapour to fill your viv completely.
    Then as soon as your viv is filled let it stand for 5 minutes and then take out the cups.
    Now place these "steaming" cups at an angle on top of your viv leaving a vent for the vapour to "fall" through in to the viv. Gravity will do the rest.
    Let it stand like this for another couple of ours.
    Then remove the cups and make sure the air is clear inside the viv.
    And Voila! all unwanted bugs / critters gone!
    Reason: Dry ice gives of carbon gas, in other words you sufficate what ever you don't want in the tank.
    Result: Dead critters and plants growing like never before! And this is a non-toxic solution.

As I said can't vouch for this myself as I have never tried it but some of the folks at Orchid boards have tried it and it seems to work incredibly well for them.

JSG

I went looking, here is the link to their descrition with photos etc.
    Eliminating terrarium pests - Orchid Board

charlamanda

Thanks everyone for the great info. I am going to look online for dry ice. I use to get meat delivered all the time with dry ice in it and loved to put it in the sink for fun. LOL Now I could really use it for a practical reason. Thanks again, if the whether doesn't warm up soon than this is a great option. If I do end up using the dry ice I'll definately post pics and results. Thanks all.

itzjezze

If they are tiny white bugs that are a tiny bit bigger than a flea with small antennae and they walk around slowly feeling there way around with the antennae then they are springtails, they eat decaying plant matter and frog poo so they keep your tank clean and reduce maintenance. They are not harmful to your frog and in fact i am trying to get some started in my dart frog tank.

charlamanda

Update. I looked up Springtails and that's exactly what these lil bugs are. I actually cleaned both tanks out, but the first one I cleaned out has them back already. I assume the other tank with eventually get them back too, but I feel much better knowing what they are and more importantly they wont harm my frogs. I will welcome these springtails for the purpose they sreve, as long as they aren't in record setting numbers, it reallt skeevs me.
    Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.
    JSG, thanks for that link, I read through it and will keep that in mind if I have any other bug problem.

Tony

Springtails are pretty much unavoidable, they live everywhere and come in on plants, substarte, etc. They will not harm the frogs and will assist in fungus control and the breakdown of waste, though I wouldn't rely on them 100% for larger frogs since the volume of waste is so high.

Immortal

I wouldn't have even bothered trying to get rid of them lol. They'll help keep the tank clean! Love them

Thread Information