Thread: White lipped tree frog only green at night

sleepypossum

Default White lipped tree frog only green at night

Alfonso (white lipped tree frog) spends most of his day a brown/grey colour and even has brown spots. Is this normal? He does change to a dark green at night when in hunt mode. I was not sure if they camouflage. Also have annoying small flies in his terrarium. Will he eat these? His diet is Crickets.
    Cheers !

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Leefrogs

Default Re: White lipped tree frog only green at night

I assume this is a wild caught frog, and they become very stressed going from the wild into a froggie jail, they show brown when they hide. This is common among pet store frogs of un-known oragin. Check your temps and humidity, sometimes they get brown when humidity is too high. or like I said it might just be stressed. How long have you had it?

sleepypossum

Thanks for that. We found Alfonso about 8 months ago on the floor at the local supermarket probably after hitching a ride on some bananas so yes he was from the wild. We could not release him as we are in a different climate from his home town and was too cold outside. (August is winter here) and he needed to be quarentined. Anyhow his best option was to be given TLC and a brand new home with us. He seems to do well and has grown twice his size since we found him. I was/am concerned though as he is wild and went from a lovely green to a dark shade/brown spots soon after we found him...but you may have answered that question as stress related. I only handle him if I have to move him when cleaning his terrariun and he has lots of places to hide. I am also concerned lately as he seems to have a "baggy bottom"!! like fluid around his rear. What can I do to help him less stressed?
    Ta muchly !

Leefrogs

That almost sounds like a couple things. First off, 8 months is quite a while. Maybe he's outgrown his enclosure. Over here they say 20gal for one frog. So that might be it.
    As far as the butt, could be worms, could be impaction leading to edema. If this doesn't go away in a few days I would worry. There's a froggie first aide to the left that could help. Intestinal trouble you use crushed salt to dust the food. Impaction, an 76-80 degree bath will help him pass it. Impaction comes from eating groundcover or large food. Could definately be parisites since he's wild. These eggs build up in the tank.

As far as stress, give him the warm bath with a drop of honey per ounce of water.
    Good luck and see what you can do with what they offer localy. Try to get a bigger tank if you think that will help, also stand it on end, as they like to be high.

6. This member thanks Leefrogs for this post:

Thread Information