Thread: Hello! I have a question about new frogs

debbnjess

Default Hello! I have a question about new frogs

I've had 4 fire belly toads for a little over a year now, I started raising my own crickets because the smaller ones are hard to get in my area. Now I have lots of crickets! so I thought I should get more frogs! lol
    I just got a african bullfrog and 2 whites tree frogs from someone that was getting rid of them last night. My female treefrog didn't want to eat last night and she seems a little listless, I have her soaking in some pedialyte right now and I noticed it looks like maybe she's shedding her skin. Would that make her listless and not want to eat or is it maybe the stress of moving her to a new home? The other 2 frogs are active and eating.
    Thanks

Default Re: Hello! I have a question about new frogs

First, are they in the same tank or separate tanks? Next, what is the setup like? Do you have good humidity? If all of the requirements are met and they're in their own tank, I think there is a good chance it's just some stress from the move. It could be related to something from before you got them. Do you know what conditions they were in before?
    0.0.1 Polypedates Leucomystax
    2.1.2 Litoria Caerulea
    1.0.0 Megophrys Nasuta
    1.1.0 Bombina Orientalis
    0.0.1 Hyla Versicolor
    0.0.1 Pyxicephalus Adspersus

debbnjess

The 2 tree frogs are together in a 18x18x24 Zoo med terrarium, I haven't finished setting it up, right now it just has paper towels on the bottom a water bowl and climbing stuff (trees and vines) It was late when we got home and I had to work today. I have eco earth and frog moss that I plan on putting in. The guy I got them from had them in a 10 gal tank with reptle carpet and a few plants. I asked about a light and he said they don't need one. I currently have a exo terra 60W sun glo lamp and at night a red heat lamp. I don't know the humidity or the temp I still have to get thermometers. What kind of lighting do you suggest?
    The african bullfrog is in the 10 gal tank that I got from the guy, he has coco husk substrate and a large water bowl. I am using the same lighting on him because that is what I had from my fire belly toads. The guy was feeding him mice, but I gave him crickets last night and he ate. His tank has a thermometer (it is 80 degrees) but I don't know the humidity. What kind of lighting do you suggest for him?

I think your plans/setups sound good. The White is probably not eating either because of stress from being moved or from low humidity. It's just hard to get the humidity up with paper towels, and the bulbs can dry them out pretty quick, but a few days is definitely not going to hurt the frog. I would think it's more likely the move. Set up the new tank when you can, and keep observing, and go from there, unless you notice any other problems.

And congrats on your new frogs! The White's are great fun. It may be a few days before they settle in, but you'll enjoy watching them. Also, I would keep feeding the African bullfrog insects, and hold back on the pinkies.
    2.1.2 Litoria Caerulea
    1.0.0 Megophrys Nasuta
    1.1.0 Bombina Orientalis
    0.0.1 Hyla Versicolor

debbnjess

would a waterfall of a fogger help with the humidity? also it has a screen top, should I cover it?

You don't want to cover the top; treefrogs need ventilation. Just make sure that the water bowl is full, and mist a couple of times a day. The frogs will settle in a few days.
    2.1.2 Litoria Caerulea
    1.0.0 Megophrys Nasuta
    1.1.0 Bombina Orientalis
    0.0.1 Hyla Versicolor

ARMS87

welcome

Thread Information