Thread: Need urgent advice

illadelfyaEAGLE

Default Need urgent advice

I noticed my whites tree frogs right eye was slightly darker in color. Upon closer examination, it looks like there is a very small white nematode-looking worm just below his pupil. The resolution isn't very good on my iphone pic but its as close as i can get. You can see the parasite moving within the eye. My frogs behavior hasn't changed, still active and eating. Any home/over the counter parasite removal remedies? Is a vet required? Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

illadelfyaEAGLE

Default Re: Need urgent advice

forgot to mention, his stool is also solid

illadelfyaEAGLE

I'm guessing administering Panacur C is the best option. Anyone familiar on the dose required for a whites tree frog?

Leefrogs

I wanted to answer, I actually try to hold off. Beleive it or not. But I wanted to ask, has it been there a while? Could it be an incompete shed? Could it be his pupil trying to dialate, and scar tissue showing?

PancurC is safe, won't hurt to worm him. You just dust the cricket. Just make sure it's an appropriate size. Repeat in 10 days and repeat once a month. I can't find it localy, Internet is the way to go.

illadelfyaEAGLE

I don't think its been there long at all. I just noticed that the lower portion of the eye looked slightly different to me, like a little darker bronze color. I got really close and saw what looked to me (and I've taken a medical parasitology course in college) a tiny, white, wriggling nematode just below the pupil. If you look closely you can actually see it moving. I've searched the internet but haven't found much info. His behavior hasn't changed, stool solid. I ordered Panacur last night off amazon. I saw a thread, i think by Paul Rust, that the dose is 25mg/kg animal. I'm guessing the frogs about 100g. That means i need to weigh out 2.5mg, which will be tough to do without a lab scale. I read that its pretty safe, but to what extent can you overdose without harm? Sorry for the long post!

Leefrogs

Pancur is alot safer than metro plus. In the first aide section, there's explanation, on how safe it is from Paul rust. he worms his every month,

As far as what i was saying, i think that if he got poked in the eye it might show up weird, inhibiting the pupils movement. put him in the light and see if it closes to a slit. worm him anyway, and worm every month that way you can give him wild foods and not worry bout it

illadelfyaEAGLE

Ginger lee, have you ever used panacur? Does it come in pill form and u just crush it and coat the food?

Leefrogs

it comes in packets, he uses the four gram packets, I don't know if that's because of the dosage per dog size or what, I just follwed what he did, it's the orange box. I think. I threw my packaging away. It's safer than metronodazole that has to be administered by a vet. Of you worm one, worm them all, eggs are going to be in your viv, so just keep worming, atleast for 3 months. If you're worried, use smaller crickets= smaller dosage. I've heard of frogs getting lung worm, and even with vet treatment it's hard to catch, the cycle on those is very particular.

Thread Information