Thread: New to frogs and need help

ShadowFrogLover21

Default New to frogs and need help

I recently got some baby Australian white tree frogs and one of them is doing great, hopping around and eating just fine. The other isn't doing very well, he seems to be having trouble hopping and using his back legs, moving in general. I've already fallen in love with them and don't know what to do. I'm not sure if it's the habitat or something else I'm doing. I have read. Several books on them and have the habitat set up like they say too, right temp and humidity. Please help me, I love my frogs and don't want to lose them.

Leefrogs

Default Re: New to frogs and need help

if the leg looks weird u need to post Picts of that. Sometimes they are just freiked out being in a new environment, and in a home. Try a drop of honey per ounce of warm(75) water in the communal bowl, put him in there at lights out. See if that perks him up a bit. Honey is anibacterial and just soothing to nerves. Honey is fine for both the frogs, maybe it will give your other obe a sugar rush and he'll bounce around for you. Give him some vitamin and calcium dusted crickets and see if he eats. If they're bigger frogs 2-3 inch, they may have been under nourished at pet store and have a start of a Bone disease. Could be he's just been in a little cage for too long and has to build up his muscle.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Ginger's advice is good, but please post pictures. If there is a problem with the little one's back legs visually then it could be any number of problems which are serious, but it's hard to diagnose if we can't see what it looks like.

Other than that, how long have to had the frogs? Some just take longer than others to acclimate, maybe your timid one is just more frightened than the other and needs time to adjust. Try to keep them in a quiet, dark room, make sure you have the right heating requirements, and just have them in a quiet calm environment for a little while. I covered the sides of my baby White's and now my P. Tomopterna's viv to make them feel more comfortable and safe. If there are no signs visually of the a problem with it's legs, then it could just be stressed out and needs time. Just test out some of these methods and see if they work, otherwise posting pictures would be the best thing you could do, maybe even video if you can do that, so experts can see how he moves.

I hope our info helps you, it's always sad to see a little frog in need. ):
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

ShadowFrogLover21

Thanks, I'll try these out. I haven't been able to see anything visually, it's just like his legs have quit working. I've had them for just over a week and the first few days he was hopping around just fine and eating more than my other one. Now when he tries to move he drags himself.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFrogLover21 View Post
    Thanks, I'll try these out. I haven't been able to see anything visually, it's just like his legs have quit working. I've had them for just over a week and the first few days he was hopping around just fine and eating more than my other one. Now when he tries to move he drags himself.
    This sounds similar to a problem that another member recently had with their dart frogs. Apparently this problem manifested right after the frogs were shipped and there is a possibility the problem was caused because of a temperature drop in shipping.

Here's a link to the thread, I hope it helps you:

http://www.frogforum.net/dart-frog-h...eg-issues.html

Raise the temp and let's see if that works.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Leefrogs

dragging himself and not hopping well are different. If he's dragging himself he may have fell and broke something. Probably should take him to a vet.

ShadowFrogLover21

Update: Unfortunately, my frog died while at the vet office. He did some tests and said that my frog had 'Dropsy'. He told me there was nothing I could have done, but I still feel terrible.

bshmerlie

Sorry to hear about your frog. Make sure you are dusting your feeders with the proper vitamins and calcium.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFrogLover21 View Post
    Update: Unfortunately, my frog died while at the vet office. He did some tests and said that my frog had 'Dropsy'. He told me there was nothing I could have done, but I still feel terrible.
    Oh, I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your frog...at least he's no longer in pain. You should clean out the tank he was in so the bacteria from his illness doesn't transfer to the other frog in the tank.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Im so sorry Miranda. Don't feel bad, unfortunately these things do happen with keeping pets. I know how you feel.

ShadowFrogLover21

I actually went out and got a new terrarium today, and will use the old one as a quarantine tank if I have another get sick. I also got some more plants to put in the terrarium, as my other seems to like them. It sucks that he got sick, but I'm going to do everything possible to keep my other healthy and happy. He's hopping around and eating good.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

That's great Miranda . Just saw your photo's, Kermit is very cute.

ShadowFrogLover21

Thanks for your help everyone, and all the advice. I'm really glad that I found this forum. Everyone's been great and really helpful.

Leefrogs

well I'm glad u took him to the vet. Atleast u have answers. I'm going to have to read up on droppsy. I have no idea what is involved. I know it's painful, but if u can help others learn signs and symtoms, you'll become a valuable member of the forum.
    There's olny so much frog owners can do.
    Sorry for your loss, and I hope Kermit remains healthy
    Welcome to the forum, I wish there were other factors involved in joining.

ShadowFrogLover21

Well, I know that when I first got my frogs, both ate for a couple of days. Kermit is still good, but on the fourth day Prince was kinda sluggish and didn't do much but sit in one place for 24 hrs straight. Then he wouldn't eat.

He seemed alright for a day, he was moving around and ate a cricket. When I got home the next day he was struggling with movement and wouldn't eat. His skin was really dry; and wouldn't seem to moisten even when I misted him. He bloated up and kept flipping himself on his back. I took him to the vet today, where he died. I don't know if this will really help anyone, but these are the symptoms he showed and the vet said it was dropsy.

Thread Information