Thread: New Owner-need advice!!!

primmypoo

Question New Owner-need advice!!!

I just got 3 ADFs and im stressin over cycling. I have a ten gallon tank with a power filter. i put pH 7.0 in my water and nutrafin cycle. i got them three days ago and last night i did my first 20% change because my pH was getting high- i keep it at 7.4
    i keep testing my water throughout the day and my levels are
    pH-7.4
    ammonia-.5
    nitrite-.25
    nitrate-0
    (i forgot to mention- i have well water)

i had to get rid of my java fern because the pH 7.0 was killing it. I also started with 3 tetras in my tank the first night and (i believe) the pH was too high for them and the next day they were dead.. .

my frogs are active and seem happy cause they love their zen poses.. but im worried about my water but i heard these water "jump starters" can cause negative results..
    Also i keep feeding them but i haven't seen them eat. all the food i've given them is either in the filter or in the rocks..

so my questions are
    - are these levels okay?
    - does the nutrafin effect test results?
    - any feeding help?
    - and how to clean rocks of food..

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New Owner-need advice!!!

so my questions are
    - are these levels okay?
    NO you need to cycle the tank. Ammonia and Nitrite levels should be 0. You are still in the early stages of your cycle.
    Don't know, not something I would use.
    - any feeding help? What are you currently feeding?
    It might be a good idea to feed them in a seperate container for a few days until you know they eat. This will also teach you how much to feed.
    Buy a gravel siphon and a 5 gallon bucket. And do not over feed.

What is the PH of the water prior to you altering it? PH is something I never mess with and I have lived all over North America with different water parameters.

primmypoo

Quote Originally Posted by rodsboys View Post
    so my questions are
    - are these levels okay?
    NO you need to cycle the tank. Ammonia and Nitrite levels should be 0. You are still in the early stages of your cycle.
    Don't know, not something I would use.
    - any feeding help? What are you currently feeding?
    It might be a good idea to feed them in a seperate container for a few days until you know they eat. This will also teach you how much to feed.
    Buy a gravel siphon and a 5 gallon bucket. And do not over feed.

What is the PH of the water prior to you altering it? PH is something I never mess with and I have lived all over North America with different water parameters.
    I am feeding them frozen blood worms and brine shrimp.
    the pH is normally 7.4.
    what will help me fix the nitrite and ammonia levels?

Nationality
    [Canada]

I would stay away from both of these. Bloodworms can cause bloat and plain brine shrimp has nutritional value.
    Both of these should be enticing the frogs to eat however as they apparantly taste good. Again try the seperate container uuntil you know they are eating.

the pH is normally 7.4.
    That's fine, don't screw with it. All of those additives are just gimics.It is likely some of the things in your water killed the java fern not the PH. That plant can survive in just about any type of fresh water setup.Make sure you use a good product to render your water safe of chemicals and metals like Prime, etc...

Time, it sounds like you have 4-5 weeks left. If you can get some used and well established filter media that will help a ton. Plants also speed up the cycle, but that may not be good advice for you.

primmypoo

Quote Originally Posted by rodsboys View Post
    I would stay away from both of these. Bloodworms can cause bloat and plain brine shrimp has nutritional value.
    Both of these should be enticing the frogs to eat however as they apparantly taste good. Again try the seperate container uuntil you know they are eating.

the pH is normally 7.4.
    That's fine, don't screw with it. All of those additives are just gimics.It is likely some of the things in your water killed the java fern not the PH. That plant can survive in just about any type of fresh water setup.Make sure you use a good product to render your water safe of chemicals and metals like Prime, etc...

Time, it sounds like you have 4-5 weeks left. If you can get some used and well established filter media that will help a ton. Plants also speed up the cycle, but that may not be good advice for you.
    The pH conditioner killed the plant.. not the level.
    they are freakin me out cause the little rascals think they are funny playin dead while i worry about my water levels and them not eating.. thanks for your help, im writing a petco list as we speak.
    What food do you suggest then? pallets?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Mysis shrimp, cyclops, daphnia, small sinking pellets like New Life Spectrum, Spirilla enriched Brine shrimp. Those will get you off to a good start. If they have live black worms those will be excepted too and are nutritious.
    I would do a big water change to get that PH conditioner out and add a couple live plants.

Thread Information