Thread: Froglet Questions

mississippily

Question Froglet Questions

Hi all! i just joined and am new to frog care so i was wondering if you could help me out. i found some eggs in my pool in the beginning of the summer and have been raising the tadpoles that hatched. i am almost positive they are Gray Tree Frogs as later that day i found 2 adults within 3 feet of my pool (at least that's what i identified the adults as). i can upload photos tomorrow for a positive ID. anyway...2 of my tadpoles have been out of the water for a few days now (and they are so darn cute). i went out and bought them fruit flies but am wondering how many they each need. do i feed them every day? also, we are still debating whether to release them back in the wild (i live in a very wooded area) or keep them. i have 4, what size tank would i need to properly house them all if we decide not to release them? thanks in advance, i'll probably be back with more questions

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Froglet Questions

Welcome to the forum. I would feed them every day and I would leave a bunch of fruitflies running around in the tank with them so they can eat at their leisure. You can block out the lid of the tank for a few hours to prevent the escape of the flies and it won't do any harm (just remember to unblock it).

You could just let them go in the area, since they are from there.

If you wish to keep them as pets then you will need a modestly sized vivarium - the taller the better. A small vivarium would be adequate while they are young but the bigger they get the bigger the vivarium will need to be. There is plenty of info in our Gray Tree Frog article.

Also, don't forget to dust the flies with vitamin/calcium dust regularly - again, there is info in the article. Fruit flies, in my experience, are not the greatest growth food so consider adding gutloaded crickets to the froglets' diet.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

mississippily

this may be a silly question, but approximately how many flies should they be eating each day? i just want to make sure they're getting enough

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

With young frogs it doesn't work that way - you give them way more than they eat right away and they will keep eating them - they will grow quicker this way. If you are having to ration your flies then you need a bigger culture.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

6. This member thanks John for this post:

Thread Information