Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from frogdaze

frogdaze

Default Hello from frogdaze

Hi,

Hello. I am new to the forum having just joined. I'm looking forward to meeting lots of new frog or toad friends.

InfInIty13X

Default Re: Hello from frogdaze

Welcome. I just joined also but the people here seem to know what they're talking about. They're very friendly and willing to share their knowledge. Pics or ban.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi frogdaze, I second what Infinity13X said Oh and its great to meet others who love Frogs too. Welcome. What frogs do you keep?

frogdaze

Thanks for the welcome. Its good to chat with other frog lovers.

frogdaze

Hi, I have about 30 frogs and/or toads right now. Some times I lose track of them. I have Pyxies, tomato frogs, european green toads, fire bellies, whites tree frogs, green tree frogs, horned frogs, and red eyed tree frogs. I feel like I'm forgetting someone.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Wow..you have quite a frog family there. I would love to see some pictures sometime. Im so jealous of the types of frogs people have on this Forum as being from NZ we are limited.

InfInIty13X

Quote Originally Posted by Ebony View Post
    Wow..you have quite a frog family there. I would love to see some pictures sometime. Im so jealous of the types of frogs people have on this Forum as being from NZ we are limited.
    I know what you mean. I sometimes feel my corner of the world has a sort of generic, plain frog population compared to all the others out there.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Yea Dave, It kinda sucks. I love my Frogs though and well they do keep me quite busy. Hows Schloopy doing? (Love the name by the way)

InfInIty13X

She's okay. I put up some fake leaves draped around the tree thing I bought. She was hidden in the leaves when I came home from work tonight.

I dropped a female cricket in the tank last night with the male cricket and now they are both gone. I dumped another male/female in there tonight. We'll see what happens. Those males have GOT to go.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Its surprising how much one Frog can eat. I breed Locusts and meal worms which my frogs love. I've had a go with crickets but found that my Frogs didn't always eat them and somehow they would survive in the Frog enclosure till they were adults and then drive me nutz with their noise. I would have to take the whole enclosure appart to find it.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by frogdaze View Post
    Hi, I have about 30 frogs and/or toads right now. Some times I lose track of them. I have Pyxies, tomato frogs, european green toads, fire bellies, whites tree frogs, green tree frogs, horned frogs, and red eyed tree frogs. I feel like I'm forgetting someone.
    It that it? I have about 30 red-eyes alone. Also have plenty of other stuff, clown treefrogs, red-banded rubber frogs, West African rubber frogs, White's treefrogs, southern tomato frogs, fire-bellied toads, a blue-webbed flying frog, a Colorado River toad, a western green toad, a green treefrog, a greater hatchet-faced treefrog, a tiger-legged monkey frog, and a Cuban treefrog. I also have cave salamanders, tiger slamanders, Mandarin crocodile newts, and a spotted salamander that I have raised from the larva stage. And thats just the amphibians!

Anyway, welcome aboard you will fit in quite nicely.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by InfInIty13X View Post
    I dropped a female cricket in the tank last night with the male cricket and now they are both gone. I dumped another male/female in there tonight. We'll see what happens. Those males have GOT to go.
    Try using a smaller size cricket. I use half inch crickets and they don't make any noise. I can tell by your complaint that you are using adult crickets and they will make noise.
    Personally I love the sound of crickets (and frogs)

frogdaze

You put me to shame with all your frogs/amphibians. My favorite saying is so many frogs, so little time. I noticed you have some clown frogs. I saw some today and I would love to get some but a friend tried to keep them and they kept dying. The guy in the store said they require the same thing as red eyes. And 30 red eyes! Did you separately acquire them all or are some of them off spring? All in one tank?

frogdaze

I never met a frog that didn't like crickets. I can't keep my crickets long enough and I get hundreds at a time. Of course that's in the summer.

Kurt

I have three adult red-eyes and the rest are their offspring. Clown treefrogs can be tricky as they are wild caught and some don't adjust to captivity. Once acclimated and de-wormed, they do fine. I have mine since April of 2007. I bought another pair last April and they thinned out and died, despite my best efforts. I was hoping to start a breeding group.

frogdaze

Kurt, Did you use a rain bar to encourage your red eyes to reproduce? How old are the babies now? I have found my red eyes in amplexus but didn't result in any eggs. If it did I don't know what I would do if I did. I've read about what to do but it sounds ike I would have tanks all over the place if only 10 tadpoles/froglets can be in a tank. Are you keeping the babies? Sorry, so many questions.

Kurt

Yes, rain bars were invloved. The rain chamber was set up in a twenty-gallon extra high, with a filter on a timer that circulated the water through the bars. There was a platform on which artifical broad-leaved plants rested. These were there for the frogs to lay their eggs upon. The frogs were only in the chamber for less then fourty eight hours before they started breeding. The first night there was calling but not much more than that. The second night it rained (outdoors) and the frogs mated, by morning there were eggs. That was last April. You can read more at the red-eye care sheet under care info.

into

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Personally I love the sound of crickets (and frogs)
    I do too, except our green tree frogs have been annoying noisey the last couple nights.... one or the other will bark for 20 seconds every two minutes almost all night long! uggg. They have such a raspy sound, they don't sound like the audio samples I've heard on the internet (quacking sound). The problem is that they are in our bedroom one tank on each night stand so we are surrounded by frogs at night.

I've never bought adult crickets, but the other night I heard a cricket chirping in our closet. One must have escaped and survived long enough. I caught him and fed him to our female whites.

frogdaze

Kurt, I read the care sheet on red eyes and saw it was written by you after I posted my question. Sorry you had to repeat what you so eloquently wrote in the care sheet. I love my red eyes even though like you've said, you don't see them often. I hear the males though after the lights go out and I see them when I clean their tank and they have to come out for a while and hang out in critter carriers. I have a question. How do we upload pictures. A lot of my pictures are on my website but I have so many more.

Marilyn

Quote Originally Posted by frogdaze View Post
    Hi,

Hello. I am new to the forum having just joined. I'm looking forward to meeting lots of new frog or toad friends.
    Frogdaze, hmmmmmmmmmm. Why does that name sound so familiar?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information