Thread: White's Tree Frog eyes

NewFrogFan

Default White's Tree Frog eyes

Hi everyone! I had a question regarding white's tree frogs, I purchased two today and when I brought them home I noticed that one has cloudy eyes. Is this bad?
    Thanks!

Britney

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: White's Tree Frog eyes

Quote Originally Posted by NewFrogFan View Post
    Hi everyone! I had a question regarding white's tree frogs, I purchased two today and when I brought them home I noticed that one has cloudy eyes. Is this bad?
    Thanks!

Britney
    Hey Britey (funny coincidence, my name's Brittany and my White's has permanently cloudy eyes). Sorry you had to join the forum under such circumstances, but it's good you came to us. Everyone here on the forum will be glad to offer any advice they have.

First off, you need to post pictures of your setup and your frogs, especially the eyes. How big is s/he? What are your temps/humidity? What type of substrate do you have them on, trees, plants etc in the tank? Water availability? Where did you get them? What and when do you feed them? All of this information is helpful when we try to give you advice so give us as much as you can.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

NewFrogFan

Well I have two White's Tree Frogs in a ten gallon terrarium. The bottom has aquarium rock layered with compressed cocoa fiber and sphagnum moss on top. I also have a large water dish, a fake wood climbing structure, jungle vines, and two hanging plants. For lighting I have a UV day light and a red heating night light. The temp is currently 75 degrees and the humidity is 80 percent.
    They are about 2-3 inches long, one being a bit larger than the other. The smaller of the two has the clouding. I got them from Petco and I feed them crickets dusted with Zoo Med's Reptivite. I have only had them for a day now so I have only fed them once. The care sheet says to feed 2-3 crickets everyday if they are babies and for adults to feed 2-3 crickets every 2-3 days. I am not sure what I have lol.
    Thanks!
    Britney
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Sierra

I know some Whites get permanent fat stores over their eyes from being overweight, but I'm not sure if this is what you have.. as far as the size of the terrarium, the recommended space is 20 gal for the first frog, and then for each frog after, 10 additional gallons. The perfect size for your pair would be a 18x18x24 in, which works out to be about 33 gallons. It is good that he is still eating though

Leefrogs

this is a torn iris, that he got poked in the pupil and it tore the muscle that opens and closes it. Watch him to make sure he feeds well. He might have trouble in complete darkness, maybe get a night light if it's a problem. There's nothing u can do, one of my friends got jumped and his eye is the same. It looks to be cured over fine, he's just a little blind(1/2) in certain light conditions, too bright or too dark. If he was totaly blind in that eye, the pupil would be greyish blue. Just a mild handicap, if he's eating good, it's fine.

Thread Information