Thread: New to frogs with some questions!

frozensponge

Default New to frogs with some questions!

Hi all, my name is Ifan and am recently beginning to take a huge interest in frogs. i think they are very lovely and beautiful. Im not sure if im suppose to ask questions over here so maybe any one of you can reply me or send me a message. In any case, I have an exo- terra 18x18x24 lying around and so i thought it might be great to try and have a couple of frogs. Firstly, since I am new to frogs, i wonder what type of frogs would be a good start for me since the glass cage is pretty tall and would be more vertical than horizontal? secondly, i live in indiana, bloomington and it is difficult to maintain humidity and temperatures and so i wonder if the screen top of the exo-terra cage would be fine? In any case i just hope that someone may introduce me some species of frogs that may suit the cage best. i know that we do not find the species to suit the cage but i hope i can utilize whatever i have first before venturing in more investments. Thanks in advance!!!

bshmerlie

Default Re: New to frogs with some questions!

Welcome to the forum Ifan. Your Exo Terra is perfect for frogs, especially tree frogs. That tank is what a lot of us use here. As far as frogs go check out the care articles on the left. The Whites Tree Frog, the Red Eye Leaf Frog and the American Green tree frog are all good frogs to start with. As far as the humidity is concerned using live plants with the proper ground cover will help with that. You can also cover up a portion of the screen on top to keep in some moisture. Hand misting in the morning and at night is usually good enough to keep your humidity in the proper range. If you can get your tank set up before you get your frog that way you can make sure you are meeting the frogs environmental needs consistently. Good luck with your decision. Take a look in the photo albums that will give you some ideas.

Hi there! Welcome.

White's Tree Frogs are a fantastic starter frog. They have a great temperament, they're active (though it's mostly at night), and they're just fun! Also, they can stand a pretty good range of humidity. And I think they're really cute. That size tank is the size of my White's tank. It's a good size.

Good luck in your decision!
    0.0.1 Polypedates Leucomystax
    2.1.2 Litoria Caerulea
    1.0.0 Megophrys Nasuta
    1.1.0 Bombina Orientalis
    0.0.1 Hyla Versicolor
    0.0.1 Pyxicephalus Adspersus

frozensponge

thanks a lot guys! I have checked the tree frogs as you told me so. the red eye leaf frog seems amazing. they looked so vibrant and more colorful. As I checked the different types of frogs on the left, i stumbled across the dart frogs. their colors are so amazing. do you guys have any experience on dart frogs? how viable is it for a beginner like me and how different are they from the tree frogs mentioned?

bshmerlie

I mentioned tree frogs because your tank is vertical. Many of the beginner dart frogs would prefer a horizontal tank. You could do it but I think it would be benifical to landscape properly to help the frogs use more of the vertical space.you would also need to get panes of glass cut to cover up the screen lid to keep in moisture. You would need to learn how to culture your own fruit flies. Although that seems like a big hurdle it is actually one of the easiest parts of keeping darts. There are some beginner darts that I would reccomend that you check out. Dendrobates Leucomelas, Dendrobate Azureus, Dendrobates Tinctorius just to name some popular ones. These frogs are diurnal unlike the nocturnal tree frogs and they are bold so they will be moving around more than the tree frogs. BUT they are less forgiving to beginner boo boos.They need very specific environmental requirements and the owner must be certain he can maintain them consistently. Only you know if you are a diligent pet owner. If you have a dog out back that you rarely visit or fish that you haven't fed in a week than darts would not be good for you. Or really you would not be good for the darts. They are the most active as far as frogs go but they do require a higher level of responsibility. If you think your up to it check out those species that I mentioned and if your still interested then we can go into details.

frozensponge

after reading what you have to say, i believe that i will need more time and research to come to a conclusion. I prefer to have set up everything correctly first before making a jump and purchase an animal. while taking care of the temperatures and humidity level is not a problem for me, i think i have to take my every day habit into consideration as well. i guess even diurnal or nocturnal makes a whole lot of differences as well.

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by frozensponge View Post
    after reading what you have to say, i believe that i will need more time and research to come to a conclusion. I prefer to have set up everything correctly first before making a jump and purchase an animal. while taking care of the temperatures and humidity level is not a problem for me, i think i have to take my every day habit into consideration as well. i guess even diurnal or nocturnal makes a whole lot of differences as well.
    Cheri's advice is a sound one. If you choose to go with darts, thumbnail frogs would thrive in an 18*18*24, as they are arboreal. A pair of Ranitomeya Ventrimaculatus would be just perfect, and vents are great beginner thumb frogs. And waiting to set everything properly will greatly help the overall wellbeing of your frogs. Setting up in advance will allow you to have a good feel on how the humidity is controlled in your tank (there are easy tricks, you'll have all the support you need on this board). Also, as Cheri again mentioned, darts' diet consists mostly of fruit flies, springtails and pinheads. Doing your own fruit flies cultures is the way to go. It seems quite demanding at first, but it's in fact quite easy.... But it is necessary and will take time in your routine. I think it's very wise that you are weighing this in your decision. And a good viable culture before the arrival of your frogs is a must.

Good luck making your decision!

frozensponge

thanks Eric! i wonder where can i get a pair of Ranitomeya Ventrimaculatus. I have checked some shop online and it seems like many vendors do not carry them. I am just checking where to get them though. Maybe you can share your insight?

bshmerlie

Just be careful...thumbnails are extremely small and very fast. They can get out of even the smallest crack. Do yourself a favor and see them in person before you order online. Pictures do not do them justice. They really should be called pinkie nails with legs. Just know what your getting into first.

frozensponge

There will be an expo in indianapolis on may 1 and i am planning to go there and check things out first. Do not want to rush any decision

I am pretty confused though when you say thumbnail frogs and Ranitomeya Ventrimaculatus and vents? how does it differ from french guina ventrimaculatus or dendrobates ventrimaculatus for example... are they the same?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome to forum. You'll find members to be very helpful here (as you've already experienced). Just a quick disclaimer, if you plan on starting in the frog hobby, you should understand that this can quickly lead to an obsession. Many members here will warn you about this, once you've had your first taste of frogs...well to be honest it's like crack. It's really hard to stop, and all you'll think about is when and how you can get more. XD

I recommend starting with tree frogs. Darts are great, don't get me wrong, my ultimate goal is to set up an amazing Terrarium for three or four D. Auratus (in about a year), and this will be my last (I say this now but we'll have to wait and see...>>) frog venture. At least until I'm rich and famous and live in a mansion.

This said, lots of people start of with White's Tree Frogs. They're great as a beginner species like 1beataway said earlier, because of their wonderful temperament and their tolerance for being held occasionally. It is important to remember that frogs are usually for viewing purposes only and White's are one of the only tree frogs that can handle frequent handling. I take my big guy out every three days to feed him and besides minor fussing when I pick him up he becomes quite complacent and will usually settle into my hands while he's waiting for me to offer up the pray. I started off with these frogs, and while they aren't as brilliantly colored as Red Eyes, their big hearty bodies and huge smiles make them a wonderful starter or addition to any collection. Mine make me smile every tim I look at them.

That's my recommendation, especially since your tank is a vert. I keep my 3.5 inch White's in a 33 gallon and his little brother, a baby just about an inch, will go in there too once he's big enough. You can house two White's comfortably in a 33 gallon, but if you want to go with RETFs you may be able to fit three or four babies, not sure about adults. As for the vents, that space could accommodate a BUNCH. I'm not an expert but in my mind it's at least 4 vents to a 33 gallon, please correct me Eric if I'm mistaken.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by frozensponge View Post
    thanks Eric! i wonder where can i get a pair of Ranitomeya Ventrimaculatus. I have checked some shop online and it seems like many vendors do not carry them. I am just checking where to get them though. Maybe you can share your insight?
    Thumbnails are fast, and small, but if you have a secure enclosure you wont have a problem. I suggest you contact Understory Enterprises: Understory Enterprises Inc. - Homepage. They can answer most of your questions. And they sell vents. And if you prepare yourself well, they will make great beginner frogs.

frozensponge

Guys, i think i am going with the dart frogs. Thank you so much for the info!!! part of my decision is due to the fact that they are diurnal. controlling humidity is not a problem and i think they will be best. I think i will acquire those vert tanks and see how it goes. for now i will concentrate on making the vivarium first

Thread Information