Thread: Walking Bumblebee Toad

Sierra

Default Walking Bumblebee Toad

I was just wondering if a 12x12x12 inch enclosure would suit one or two bumblebee toads. Also, if they need to be kept in groups, or if one would be okay alone. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Walking Bumblebee Toad

Our member Eric (clownonfire) is the proud owner of one female Bumblebee Walking Toad I'm sure he's be glad to answer questions you had about them and their enclosure. He even has little Gretel in his avatar picture. ^ ^
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Eric Walker

Im not the Eric kisa was talking about but i have been keeping a group of 5 since Feb of 2010. they are in a standard 10gallon and it seems to work great for them.
    Frogs or in this case toads dont get lonely so only keeping one is not going to cause it to get depressed.
    I do find my toads like to climb up into the pathos leaves and hang out and its funny to watch them Do it.
    Have you given Seth's care sheet a read yet?

Sierra

Yes I have read that, it said 2.5 gal per toad and a 12x12x12 is about 7 gallons, so maybe a couple? I just wanted to make sure that the size would be okay.

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
    Yes I have read that, it said 2.5 gal per toad and a 12x12x12 is about 7 gallons, so maybe a couple? I just wanted to make sure that the size would be okay.
    Hi Sierra. I'm the Eric Kisa was talking about. But you got an answer by Eric Walker, and he's my reference. He's helped me a great deal with mine. Here's Seth's care sheet he is talking about:

http://www.frogforum.net/toad-care-a...-breeding.html

Feel free to ask any question.

Eric

Sierra

Thanks Eric,my main question is if a 12x12x12 would be okay. The gallons are fine, but it is more cubish than long, so I wanted to be sure it would be still okay for them.

clownonfire

A pair will do great. Keep in mind that they are not great climbers, they live in a savanna-type of environment. Put a nice piece of malaysian wood in your 12*12*12 and hiding places and your BBWT will do fine. You will see them climb and explore, and hide. They are wonderful. Watch the humidity. 60-70% is perfect. Really. I have seen it with mine, anything higher and lower and your toad will hide.

Sierra

Awesome! Now I just have to convince my parents... My whites were a strech! Any tips on that? :P I have pretty much everything I need already anyways.

Sierra

Just an update- I got a pair of them today They seem to be doing well, one of them got right to exploring when I put him in. I put some coconut husk substrate in there, and I also added some leaves and sticks that I had collected outside and boiled.

clownonfire

Just an update- I got a pair of them today They seem to be doing well, one of them got right to exploring when I put him in. I put some coconut husk substrate in there, and I also added some leaves and sticks that I had collected outside and boiled.
    Congrats! These guys are some of my favorite. They might hide within the next few days and not eat as much. Don't worry about it if it happens. It will take a few days for them to adjust. Leaves are great, they will enjoy those, and good job on boiling them!

Post pictures when you can!

eric

Sierra

They seem to be doing well I saw one of them eat yesterday, so that was encouraging! Is there any way to make sure they're eating, since the crickets are so small..
    Here are some pictures: (sorry I'm not the best photographer!)
    There are more pictures on my Bumblebee Walking Toad album
    Attached Images Attached Images   

clownonfire

They seem to be doing well I saw one of them eat yesterday, so that was encouraging! Is there any way to make sure they're eating, since the crickets are so small..
    Here are some pictures: (sorry I'm not the best photographer!)
    There are more pictures on my Bumblebee Walking Toad album
    Are they amazing?

Someone I know separates his enclosure when he feeds his BB. As you must have noticed by now, the pinheads will have a tendency to hide quickly in the substrate, making it difficult for the BB. Which is one of the reasons I think feeding fruit flies to them is easier. They will not hide, and are easier to catch for the toad.

Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by clownonfire View Post
    Are they amazing?

Someone I know separates his enclosure when he feeds his BB. As you must have noticed by now, the pinheads will have a tendency to hide quickly in the substrate, making it difficult for the BB. Which is one of the reasons I think feeding fruit flies to them is easier. They will not hide, and are easier to catch for the toad.
    Yes! They're a lot prettier than the pictures let on :P I'm having a difficult time picking names.. one has the stripe all the way across his eyes, then one has a lot of yellow spotting.

As far as feeding, yes the crickets like to borrow, which is annoying. I don't know if I can get fruit flies, and my mother barely lets crickets in the house the way it is.. There seems to be less crickets in there, but its so difficult to tell if they're just hiding or not. Whites are so much easier to feed :P

clownonfire

Keep in mind that your toads are new and still adjusting to their new enclosure. It will take a few weeks before they settle in and feel more comfortable hunting the food. But just know that BB are voracious. They have quite the appetite for something this small. Fruit flies have a bad rep. Tell your mom to join the forum, we will convince her!

They are really easy to culture, some are flightless and/or wingless, and quite economical on the long run...

Sierra

Hmm wingless might be good! I'll look into those.
    Hahahaha, you should have seen her face when she walked by and saw I was on "Frog Forum". She just said, "Frog Forum....??" and shook her head and walked away. I know she secretly loves my Whites though, since she always asks me if they're okay, because they don't move too much. I've tried explaining that that is what they do to her but she doesn't get it. They all think I'm obsessed, I work at a library so I naturally ordered all the books out in the system on frogs.. So my co-worker/friend made up a new word for me, "amphibinerd".

Nationality
    [United States]

Bumble bee toads are very easy to keep. 2-3 would be fine in a 12x12x12 exo terra, as bumble bee toads really do not need much room. Check out this care sheet on bumble bee toads:

Josh's Frogs How-To Guides » Blog Archive » Bumble Bee Toad Care and Breeding
    Josh's Frogs - Herps, Feeders, and all the Reptile Supplies you need! Same day shipping (800)691-8178

Thread Information