Thread: Phyllomedusa tomoptera viv build.

Grrrit

Default Phyllomedusa tomoptera viv build.

Started last night. These will be my first monkeys and I was wondering is anyone had ant hints to happily house them. I have branches foamed into the backround and there will be a trickling water spring. More curious on the plant side of options. Thanks guys! Pics soon

2. This member thanks Grrrit for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

clownonfire

Default Re: Phyllomedusa tomoptera viv build.

Hi! You might want to get in contact with our member Kisa. She just got hers and recently made lots of research on them and there are a few very interesting threads about housing them made by her!

Grrrit

Ok I will for sure. Tomorrow I was going to ask mike n. At the cle reptile show and so on and so forth. I can't wait for him to have done vaillanti froglets this season.

Leefrogs

plants--I love this part of frogging!!! U had the best build thread for your milks. Can't wait to see what u do on this one!! Here's my fave plants for climbers! Corn plant or tea leaf(Hawaiian food plant ) yucca resembles these but toxic. Fiddle leaf fig if u can find a short enough one. Snake plant/ mother in laws ( in kisa's viv) hibiscus, ponytail or an older /bigger jade tree. For decoration or cover-- palm, prayer plant, peace lily, ferns and bromiliad. From the cover perspective the list is almost endless, most of them used in dart tanks and always a staple in every viv. Ive tossed around growing ginger, buy a root and it grows grass like 6" tall. Walmart got shipment of broms-- smaller ones were 3$ giants were 11. I just don't think longevity on broms are that good, as they sell them in flower stage and their life is half over, u have to hope for babies and then plant them.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Thanks for recommending me Eric, but my viv isn't super fantastic. I just tried to make them comfortable. ^ ^

As for the Tomops, great choice! These are wonderful frogs, beautiful and fun to watch. They were my first monkey's too, I was just astounded by how beautiful the coloration and striping on their legs was, and seeing it in person...oh gosh there's no comparison! XD

I've only had my two for a week, but I've had their viv set up for three. If you want you can check out pictures of my P. Tomopterna's viv in my album "Viv Set Up/s" on my profile (also pictures of the frogs in the "Phyllomedusa Tomopterna" album >>), though I'm sure your viv will be much better than mine. XD

I also did a thread on my viv "build" that lines out everything I did with pictures and a step-by-step process. The plants and substrate I used, building materials etc, but in the end my viv was quite simple. I just modified a background (came with the rainforest kit) and planted it. Took me two days, and I probably could have done it in one if it wasn't for school.

My Tomops are fairly new and still settling of course, but the female I bought from Mike Novy (great guy with great frogs) is doing really well, though she's still a bit scared of course. The male I have is much shier and I'm having some minor problems with him eating and sleeping all the time, but I think he's a bit younger and has a more energetic personality. He'll come around, I'm sure. XD

If you have any questions feel free to ask away! Though these frogs aren't as hard to take care of as I thought, they're a little similar to Red Eyes in care and size, so I'd go off of a care sheet for them and just ask Mike. He's so nice and ready to help you with any questions you have, it's really worth it to give him a call and do your research there.

Congrats on your new project and frog decision, I can't WAIT to see what you do! ><
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Here's a link to my amateur viv build, I don't know how helpful it'll be but I'll put it down anyway just for you to see what I've done. XD

http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...viv-build.html

I'm so excited for you! I can't wait to see pictures of your viv AND your frogs, they're gonna be great! ><
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Grrrit

ok finally got time to upload pics for the update. im still looking for some sort of branch to utilize more of the upper section of space but here it is as of now..

side view. you can see the hole where the tubing will be for the water feature.

*important*
    access hole for the pump.

glass needs scraped but another view of access hole

thats it so far. more to come!

bshmerlie

I hope you're entering this build in our contest.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

OMg....I don't know if you noticed this...but you are using the same exact stick in your Tomop's viv that I have in mine!!! What a weird coincidence! >< Where did you even get that? I found it at a local shop and had to have it...

Other than that comment, the viv looks like it's coming along great! I can't wait to see the finished product.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

Grrrit

Post Re: Phyllomedusa tomoptera viv build.

Cheri- I can't find that thread. I looked when you mentioned it to me when I posted my thread of my last build for my milks. :/

Kisa, I could have sworn I mentioned that to you. I got it from neherpsupply.com, I believe that was the website. I put in a rather large wood order from there. That's where I got my jungle pods and like materials. But maybe my post to you about that stick didn't go through fit some reason

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Grrrit, I definitely would have responded if I saw your message, too bad I didn't. Such a strange coincidence either way! Maybe the shop I got mine from got theirs from the same website, wouldn't be too far off to guess that. But the same stick for the same frogs in the same sized build? Now THAT'S weird. XD
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by Grrrit View Post
    Cheri- I can't find that thread. I looked when you mentioned it to me when I posted my thread of my last build for my milks. :/
    Its called The MOST INFORMATIVE THREAD CONTEST. It can be found in the vivarium section that you are in right now. I bump it every week. Check through the rules and make a thread on your builds. You can enter more than once to increase your chances of winning. Im on my cell so I can't post a link but let me know if you can't find it. Where's my Link guy Eric when you need him?

Grrrit

I'll have to get on my computer. I found the link, it would just far too long to do on my droid.

Thread Information