Thread: Questions, is Chubby the right frog for me?

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Questions, is Chubby the right frog for me?

Hi!

I think I'm looking for a new animal and would appreciate if you chubby-owners could answer a few questions for me to help me make up my mind.

First of all, can I feed chubby frogs Dubia roaches? I understand that I can't give them the fully grown but maby smaller ones?
    The reason for asking this is that I've started a colony for my bullfrog and like them so much compared to crickets that I would love to not have to use crickets at all.

Second question..
    When I feed my african bull I take him out of his tank, put him in a critter-keeper and feed him there. Would it be ok to feed a chubby like this or are they just try to escape, not caring about the food offered to them?

How loud are the males? If you could compare it to fire-bellies it would be great! :P

Anything else I should know about this frog before deciding what to get?
    I can mention that some of the other candidates are Cane toad, White's tree frog, some kind of pacman... Quite different animals I realise

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

frognerd101

Default Re: Questions, is Chubby the right frog for me?

Chubby frogs make excellent pets. Small Dubia roaches may work out well, but keep in mind that chubby frogs are in the family of narrow-mouth frogs for a reason. Therefore, some better foods are crickets and earthworms.

It may take some time before your chubby frog will accept food in the cricket keeper, buts its worth a try. I have had success with that method with chubby frogs, whites tree frogs and pacman frogs, as well.

I have never heard my chubby make noise, but I believe that they can get pretty loud.

Make sure that this frog is healthy before your initial purchase, and make sure you have a moist substrate for it to burrow in, a water dish and a log for it to hide under.

Also, with your other canidates, whites tree frogs and pacmans are the best. I have tried to keep many Cane toads over the years and they almost always fail to thrive in my care. If you really want one, make sure to provide it with a large tank, a large water dish and a moist substrate it can burrow in.

Thread Information