Thread: Rescuing Frog from snake

Blumen

Default Rescuing Frog from snake

Hello,

Pictured is the small wildlife pond which I had to hurry up and build a few months ago because we were burying our inground pool and had to rescue dozens of frogs, tadpoles and toads. About 20 frogs from very small to large stay in this pond. They come and go from a small creek nearby which I put the others in. Everyday I am out at this pond feeding the frogs live Japanese beetles which I collect out in the fields. The other day I heard a low moan from one of the frogs and could not see what was wrong. I happened to look under one of the large rocks which was at the waters edge and saw a little part of a frogs belly flopping under the rock. Running to that side thinking the frog was being crushed under the rock, I started to remove the large boulders to get to the bottom. Well, here a small snake had grabbed the frog. Luckily the frog got loose. Afterwards I had to remove quite a few of the large rocks to find the snake. I removed the snake to the outer fields. I am going to remove all my snakes in the future, but I am sure they will find their way back. Just wanted to let people to be aware. I know they had been after my toads also......
    Debbie in Pa.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Rescuing Frog from snake

Hi Debbie, welcome to the forum.

I commend you for building the pond to save the amphibians. It's a very nice pond too. The snakes will be impossible to keep out - this is nature at work. I am sure that the frogs and toads breed more than enough to satisfy the snakes and other predators though, otherwise there would be as much to eat for the predators.

Best of luck,

-John
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kurt

Default Re: Rescuing Frog from snake

What kind of snake was it?

Thread Information