Thread: FBT won't leave the water and hasn't eaten in about 4-5 days

BeansFBT

Question FBT won't leave the water and hasn't eaten in about 4-5 days

Hello everyone!

I recently picked up a Fire Bellied Toad from the pet store. A nice chubby (not bloated!) vibrant green one. I put it into my 30 gal. aquarium I set up and he crawled around on the land briefly, ate a small worm I gave him and then proceeded to dive into the water and stay there for about 5 days now, hardly moving and staying mostly hidden. Two days ago I decided that perhaps the poor little guy was lonely, so I bought another one. They seemed to get along pretty well and the first one even started calling, but still refuses to leave the water. Today I happened to pick up another FBT from a guy who didn't want it in his lizard cage. Once again they all get along pretty well. The two newest additions both leave the water from time to time and seem to have pretty good appetites, but the first one I got still just stays in the water and thus hasn't had a chance to eat any of the crickets I give them! After the addition of the two new frogs the first one seems to come out of hiding more often but remains in the water, perhaps he's just stressed and needs time to relax?

I don't know what kind of information to give... Visibly all three toads look perfectly healthy, no scrapes, no bloating, etc. The terrarium/aquarium is kept pretty clean, I change the water every day or two and remove any uneaten food.

Is this behavior normal?

Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

s6t6nic6l

Default Re: FBT won't leave the water and hasn't eaten in about 4-5 days

worry ye not. if the toad is ill you won't be able to tell yet anyhow but i'm sure it's just the demeanor of the toad itself. the toad won't come to any harm by not eating for a while. as you have already stated it will be just getting accustomed to the setup. you will find that the toads will each have their own funny ways just like us. leave it for another few days and i'm sure it will be eating by then. just post again if you still have concerns about it's behaviour.

BeansFBT

Thanks for your response! I figure you're probably right. He'll get used to his new home soon enough. If not I'll let you know!

jo13579

Hi. Im having a similar problem with one of my FTB. It hasn't eaten in about a week. Just stays hidden under its favourite hiding place. My other FTB has a very healthy appetite. I've even tried removing one to give the other one time to eat, but FTB just isn't interested in food. Any advice?

BeansFBT

I think my toad was just stressed out because now he is eating again. He still mainly stays in the water, usually wedged under some rocks or something along those lines, but occasionally I have seen him on the land hunting crickets. I don't really have much advice for you on this one because my situation seemed to remedy itself, but hopefully some of the other forum members can help you out! Did you just get him recently or is this new behaviour?

jo13579

Ive had him about 17 months and the not eating is new its now been about 10 days. he has never eaten as much as the other one. But he is just refusing to eat anything.

FBTmom

A year and a half ago I was on this site, frantic because one of my FBT's wouldn't eat. Members from all over came up with many ways to try to get him to eat. He went one month... yes, a month, with no food. I was beside myself. I tried eveything. But he somehow never got any thinner and never seemed unhealthy. He just wouldn't eat.

After the first couple of weeks of not eating, I got into the habit of every day or so (not constantly because I didn't want to stress him) I would put him in a clean (no soap), opaque ice cream pail with lots of air holes poked into the lid. The opaqueness let in light but he couldn't see out and be distracted or stressed. I'd put a bunch of crickets into the pail with him (count how many you put in so you know if he eats one!), put the lid on, put the pail in a quiet spot, and leave him for 10-15 minutes (not longer because they can't go too long with out water, and you don't want water in the pail 'cause the crickets will drown. Plus, if they don't eat in that time frame, they're not going to). The crickets would crawl all over him, sit on his head, you name it. And he had no interest in them at all. Until one day, he ate one. For no apparent reason to me, but obviously he was ready to eat. He ate two, went back into his tank, and has eaten normally since. Never another issue. I'll never know why he went on a 'food strike' as we called it, but he didn't suffer for it.

This was a suggestion put forth by one of the members on this site, and whether it helped him decide to eat again or not, it definitely provided the right atmosphere for eating. I feel it helped for sure. It's worth a try.

In the meantime, if your toad is not getting skinny or losing his energy, don't stress too much. Just keep offering crickets every day or so and one day he'll shock you by eating one!

Keep us posted,

Diane

jo13579

Thanks Diane

I will try that.
    Im getting desperate to get him to eat as FTB is getting skinny.

jo13579

HiThank you for the help and advice Diane. But sadly FTB (named Squiggly) died during the night on Saturday 26th.

Thread Information