Thread: A few questions on Pacman housing and feeding

AXSO

Default A few questions on Pacman housing and feeding

Hello! First post, thread and reptile. I do apologize if this has been asked before.

My questions are: What is the best substrate? How should I keep the temperature levels up and with what bulb? How often should my frog be eating? Is a digital thermometer and hydrometer worth it? How often should I clean the tank?

Sorry about the random assortment of questions but getting it all in one place seems best!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

clownonfire

Default Re: A few questions on Pacman housing and feeding

Quote Originally Posted by AXSO View Post
    Hello! First post, thread and reptile. I do apologize if this has been asked before.

My questions are: What is the best substrate? How should I keep the temperature levels up and with what bulb? How often should my frog be eating? Is a digital thermometer and hydrometer worth it? How often should I clean the tank?

Sorry about the random assortment of questions but getting it all in one place seems best!
    Welcome to Frog Forum. And glad you posted all your questions in one thread! I can't answer for the substrate as it will differ from one frog species to the other. Same for the thermometer and hydrometer. I use bot on almost all of my tanks. I know pacman frogs need good warm temperature. So a thermometer will be very helpful!

You'll soon have other members answering you for the remainder of your questions.

Eric

Animalnstinct

Hi Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your new frog!

In regards to your questions, I would suggest Eco Earth ( coco husk ) and I would do a basic clean everyday. You want to make sure and pull out any poops, cricket parts, and give them some fresh water. Then I would do a full clean of the substrate and a good wash out about once a month.

With feeding that depends on his or her size. I would suggest feeding once a day to start so you can get a general idea for the minimum amount they will eat. What I did with mine is throw a good amount of crickets in and then wait about 24hrs and count how many they ate. Used that as a base amount and then adjusted the amount on their left overs and if they look a healthy weight.

Another thing a lot of people do is let them eat as much as they want in a 15 minute period. You could do that and then adjust it based on if they are looking to thin or obese.

Having a thermometer and hygrometer is important to always have especially if you don't have a room that the temperature and humidity is controlled. That way you can make sure their environment is the best you can provide for them at all times.

To provide good heat you can always use a heat mat or a low wattage day and night bulb. For humidity spray down their habitat with treated water a few times a day and provide a water dish for them to soak in if they want.

Would love to see images of your pacman if you have any and I hope this helps you out a bit.

AXSO

Thanks for the friendly replies!

Firstly, how do I tell if my frog is male or female? It is difficult for me to get a undershot of the belly, although I may be able to get one eventually. What kind of Pacman frog is mine and are there any specific differences when it comes to care compared to others?

I have a 40 watt red night time bulb but I don't like leaving it on all the time because it either gets too hot or it dries out all the humidity. My house is a little too chilly for Bas at around 70 degrees (father loves this temperature!), should I put it on a timer such as 10 minutes on/off? I want my friend to feel safe and at home but it is very hard keeping the temperature up. Same with the heating pad, should I leave it plugged in all the time or when it gets chilly?

I have coconut bark for a substrate, I was given small pebbles at first but I didn't like it at all because of the risk of my lil' buddy accidentally eating one. I make sure there are always good size beads of water on the tank walls and the humidity at 70%-90%. Would an automatic mister be a good investment when I'm out at school or work?

I have a needle style hydrometer and thermometer that stick on to the side of my tank but I am concerned about how I will clean it. I usually put Bas into a smaller carrier container with wet moss and run hot water in the tank a few times to clean it out, but should I simply clean it with paper towels now? My brother-in-law has a Boa Constrictor and he has a digital hydro/thermometer that is fairly accurate, is the sensor a small piece of wire that you put in the tank? Would it be a good investment?

I do not mind "pimping out" my frog tank so digital and automatic gear is within monetary reach for me.

Thanks for the help!

Edit?: Woah! Sorry about the size of the pics, I'll resize them when I get a chance!

85MkIISupRa

Thats a nice looking ornate you have there

mdtalley22

I think a digital hydro/thermometer is a great investment and way better than those stick on kind. It will give a much better and more precise reading. I got one for my bearded dragon a few months ago and it has worked great. It is one from walmart for about 12 or 13 bucks, I think. And then you never have to guess where exactly the needle is or worry if it is only reading the glass.

Greg M

That's a wonderful looking ornate! You will find that there are lots of right ways (and wrong ways) of maintaining horned frogs or any other species. In my case, I use a low-wattage ceramic heater (40W) as suggested by Frank Indiviglio. I'm probably going to offend many knowledgeable experts here, but I use paper towels as substrate. Its not very natural looking but its easy to tell when its dirty and replace. Even if you change to EcoEarth or such when they get older, paper towels work really well with younglings. I think cleanliness is very important, whatever substrate you use. I also mist once or twice a day. I think as long as the temps and humidity are appropriate,and you clean religiously, these guys are pretty tough.

I think your guy is probably a little young to determine the sex...

Greg M

Here's his Daddy!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Kevin1

Quote Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
    That's a wonderful looking ornate! You will find that there are lots of right ways (and wrong ways) of maintaining horned frogs or any other species. In my case, I use a low-wattage ceramic heater (40W) as suggested by Frank Indiviglio. I'm probably going to offend many knowledgeable experts here, but I use paper towels as substrate. Its not very natural looking but its easy to tell when its dirty and replace. Even if you change to EcoEarth or such when they get older, paper towels work really well with younglings. I think cleanliness is very important, whatever substrate you use. I also mist once or twice a day. I think as long as the temps and humidity are appropriate,and you clean religiously, these guys are pretty tough.

I think your guy is probably a little young to determine the sex...
    I agree that using paper towels when young, is not a bad idea. I do/done it with my frogs.

I would like to note that saying coco husk is eco earth can be a bit confusing. Coco husk is an impaction risk to use as substrate. Eco Earth and other coco Fiber is not an impaction risk when ingested.

Frogking

cool ornate good luck.

kluas88

Paper towels may be an issue with getting them comfortable. With adults it shouldnt be a problem but when I had my babies on it they wouldnt eat.

Also for a simple set up get

eco earth bedding

sterilite shoe box

cobra heat mat

digital thermometer

This is how I have all my pacs set up and they do great.

volcom19961995

I noticed with my ornate when I put paper towels in he stopped eating but when I changed it back to Eco earth he started eating Again

Kevin1

Which is perfectly understandable. They stop eating because it takes away there security so you need to counter that. Paper towels and Eco Earth are both fine to use at least when young. I feel the adults at least should always have some kind of soil to bury in. It is what's natural to them.

volcom19961995

Hey this has nothing to do with this thread but whats the easiest way to get a Pacman frog off Ur finger when they bite mine bit me last night and he let go after 15 min

Kevin1

Quote Originally Posted by volcom19961995 View Post
    Hey this has nothing to do with this thread but whats the easiest way to get a Pacman frog off Ur finger when they bite mine bit me last night and he let go after 15 min
    It'd probably be best to start a new thread regarding your inquiries.

AXSO

Is a 60 Watt ceramic heating bulb and a heating pad enough for my Pacman to stay warm? Do I need a light source other than the sun?

Thread Information