Thread: Possibly sick whites tree frog

treefrogsrules

Default Possibly sick whites tree frog

hey guys recently my whites has slowed down eating but has become more active but what woriies me, he has watery droppings is this bad, i think the eating slowing down is because he had to go a week without food(nobody had any superworms, and i ran out) so he might just be caught up on his food, but what about the watery droppings please help its worrying me!!!! he is water often but just for a minute to soak then starts jumping around again, but doesnt stay in there all the time, he has a fogger that i turn on every once in a while to keep the humidity at 80

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Possibly sick whites tree frog

Going a week without isn't good for your frog. You should be getting your Whites crickets. Are you implementing calcium in the diet?
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

First off, your humidity is a bit high at 80%, that's a good level for bacteria to start breeding. Secondly, Don is right: crickets should be the staple food for tree frogs, mealworms (including superworms) are high in chitin and hard for the frogs to digest. If overfed on these worms a frog could become impacted, this could be a reason for the watery feces or the fact that it won't eat. If it's bowls are impacted it could be uncomfortable and not want to fill it's belly any more than it could be already.

I hope your frog recovers, but what you can try if it is impaction is a warm bath at a little above room temperature. Make sure this water isn't too hot as it could harm the frog, but a nice 75 degrees should do fine. Just try to soak it for between 20 and 30 minutes and see if that produces a regular bowl movement. If this isn't the problem and he doesn't go to the bathroom, your problem could be intestinal.

Make sure to update us on your frog's condition. I hope it gets better. D:
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

treefrogsrules

i know i should be feeding crickets but where i live shipments of crickets come in on every wednesday butso many people keep lizards and come buy all the crickets they have so i have to feed superworms when i cant get crickets can get crickets like once a month and thats it i dont have enough money to buy online either

Leefrogs

u should just start a colony. Start with 6 adults, that will get u about 300 babies. 3 weeks later, as your eggs are hatching, buy more adults and save 6 to breed. Keep that rotation, till u have your own adults. And remember, breeders still become food. Let them sing and breed for about 10 days, them toss em in. I have the same food delema as u. I use canned crix for in between runs to town. I have 600-1000 baby crix, and 3 week old ones I feed in mass, this thins the herd a little.
    A can of exoterra black crix is about 8$, but they are big and when frozen will last u almost 2 months. That is if it's your primary food source for just 1 frog. If used in just a pinch this can could last 4 months. Canned food is better than no food. U can start feeding them nightcrawlers, as this big meal will hold them longer.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Great advice Ginger, I would go with this idea if I were you TFR. If I lived in a place where I couldn't get crickets regularly, lord knows I would breed them. I'm dealing with some escapes right now just having them in my P. Tomopterna's viv (it seems they were squeezing through some kind of gap in the screen top, I have no idea how but they were running around escaped in my room, right next to my bed...D but we fixed the problem now (hopefully) and I'll be able to start breeding soon. I'll just have to move my colony out of the closet before I do...

I'd say the effort it takes to breed crickets (which according to Ginger really isn't that much) is worth saving your frogs from impaction or digestion problems. I don't know the long term effects of feeding mealworms all the time, but it can't be good, given the facts. D:
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Thread Information