Thread: Color

rhunter513

Default Color

Sorry if this a repeated question. What is the deal with the color or FBT's? I am looking for some in my area, there seems to be a shortage but what is left are all dark colored. I have read a little bit our their color but can't find any consistent info.

Does their color change due to environment - temp, light, color of substrate. Does is have to do with sex and breeding? Age?

If I buy the darker color ones, what can I do to color them back to bright green?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Psychotic4mb3r

Default Re: Color

What do you mean by darker? Dark green? or brown? FBT's come in green and brown. If they are dark green, proper food and lighting should brighten there green color up

rhunter513

By darker I mean anything from dark brown to dark green with a few light green patches. So is it proper food or lighting or both? By lighting do you mean heat? Do they need more heat than room temp to maintain their bright green color? Or do they need full spectrum light from a uvb bulb? Or is it both heat and full spectrum light?

Sorry for all the questions and thank for the help.

firebellytoadsx4

mine are also turning dark, some almost look black but i think it has to do with the environment (plants ect.) but im not entirely sure

Han

Hi

Bombina need a lot of light to stay in shape/color, no heat, so you better use
    fluorescent lighting (PL-L) for, depending on the season, 10 to 14 hours a day.
    A small basking spot above a basking platform is very much appreciated during some 2 hours in the morning (timer).
    Overall watertemp 72F max, airtemp slightly higher. Also important: space and sufficient hiding-spots and of course, excellent food.
    Good luck.

Han

rhunter513

Han - thanks for the reply! I am in good shape then because I am currently lighting the tank with two t-5 bulbs - one full spectrum the other blue(the lamp is for a salt tank) and then a 3rd bulb which is a regular t-8 fixture with a regular plant grow bulb. I do not have a basking lamp and the water portion of the tank is not heated. Will that be enough to keep them thriving, in good condition and color?

Here is a pic of my tank

Kurt

In my experience, the darker coloured ones never turn bright green.

bshmerlie

I have found the lighter color their surrounding the lighter color they will be. I have two of them and have changed my tank around many times. I now use white rocks under the water with light colored stones for them to rest on. I put down green sheet moss on top of some brown and grey platforms that I use for the land section. If they stay in those areas they are bright green. When they climb upon the dark brown back wall and rest there in the waterfall they will turn completely dark green. One of them will retain a couple of lighter green splotches but mostly dark. They spend most of their time at the bottom in the lighter color environment so they are usually bright green. I do not use any additional heating just room temp. My belief is that they lighten or darken just to camouflage themselves.

MissFroggie

Fire bellied toads come in an array of colours from a bright lime green to a beige or brown colour with green markings. One of my froggies is bright lime green and changes to dark green before shedding his skin, the other is light brown with a green marking and has never changed colour. FBTs can also change colour depending on the colours of their surroundings.

Thread Information