Thread: Future tree frog terrarium! How many?

Frogking

Default Future tree frog terrarium! How many?

Hey guys I made a post yesterday about my 15gal which was a guess. The terrarium is 26 inches long and 16 inches across and 11inches deep) Here are some pics of the terrarium. You can see the space i'm working with. I did want about 4 tree frogs(2 pairs). Do you think this would be to many for my space i'm starting to think so. Maybe I should stick with 2? Are their any other frogs I can add with the tree frogs if 2 is all i have space for? t I am doing a lot with my pacmans right now but I would like to take the first steps in setting up the tree frog space. Any ideas on the first things to buy bedding things they need?

Here is my frog station of my pet collection in my room. Right now I have one 10gal with 2 pacs and setting up a 5gal for another pac

Got the tank at my Lfs about 2 years ago for my water dragon which I moved cant wait to clean it out.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Leefrogs

Default Re: Future tree frog terrarium! How many?

26,16,11 is a 19.8 gallon.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

The tank looks good. Just make sure you clean it out really well before adding new animals to it.

The general rule of thumb is never to mix species, so if you want to get more than one species of frog, you're going to need another tank to separate them. You can keep two or more of the SAME species in the same tank, as the two share the same toxins and are in no danger of harming each other from skin contact. If you put more than one species in the same tank you risk exposing each different kind of frog to the others toxins and this can lead to illness and eventually death. We call it "slow poisoning", and I see it personally as a torture to frogs.

I think in a 15 gallon the most you could get away with is two, maybe three if the frogs are very small. You should start doing research on different smaller types of frogs and see which one's you like. I'm guessing you're going to want about 1 or 1 1/2 inches for each animal if you're doing two in a fifteen gallon or smaller if you want three. I'm not really well versed on different kinds of frogs that would do well in that space, as I myself only keep two species right now. Ask around on the forum and see what other people did with fifteen gallon tanks, get some others opinions who keep smaller tree frogs and you should be ok.

A good bedding to use is always something with coco fiber mixed in, so T-Rex jungle bed, Exo Terra Plantation soil or another kind from a brand I can't remember simply called "coco husk". These types of bedding are good for tree frogs because if they accidently ingest some of the coco fiber it will pass right through their system and they won't be harmed by impaction (as with some mosses). Check out tree frog viv in people's albums and PM them if you like their stuff, most people on here are very friendly and willing to work with newcomers so that they can give their pet frogs the best home they can. I know everyone was really helpful to me when I first arrived on frog forum. My first frog, a White's Tree Frog, was very ill and I got some great advice and support from the people on this forum. Look around and you'll make fast friends.

As for cage furniture, tree frogs are arboreal so make sure you get lots of sticks, plants (fake or real), vines, and any other item that you think could utilize the vertical space in your vivarium. Most tree frogs love to climb and get vantage points from way up high, so make sure what you have in there is sturdy enough for them to climb and sit on. A good plant to consider first off would be a bromeliad (lots of people use these in their vivs for bigger frogs, but they could work well with smaller frogs too) and snake plant. Also, pothos is a good option as it's leaves are broad enough for most small frog species to sit or climb on.

The set up you had for your water dragon with the vines intertwining on those two sticks is just fine, a tree frog would make very good use of all that climbing space. Just make sure you wash everything really well before you put a frog in there, as I'm not sure what kind of bacteria water dragons carry that could be harmful to frogs.

I hope this has helped you, and if you have any questions feel free to ask me or any other members on the forum, we're all willing to help your future frogs be happy and healthy. Also, here's a link to a list of tree frog owners on this site along with the types of frogs they have, if you want to get users that could help you with question on a particular species, this is a great place to start.

http://www.frogforum.net/groups/tree...s-listing.html
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leefrogs View Post
    26,16,11 is a 19.8 gallon.
    Great observation Ginger. That's almost twenty gallons so you might be able to get away with more than three frogs, as long as you keep them pretty small.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Frogking

great guys thanks for the tips. I will be cleaning the setup 2 or 3 times before I put something in. I will be buying new vines and everything on the inside will be replaced as well. I think 20gal is what I got and I will not house more then 3 or 4 frogs at a time. I intend on buying babies to start.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frogking View Post
    great guys thanks for the tips. I will be cleaning the setup 2 or 3 times before I put something in. I will be buying new vines and everything on the inside will be replaced as well. I think 20gal is what I got and I will not house more then 3 or 4 frogs at a time. I intend on buying babies to start.
    You're welcome, I hope what we've said has helped you out. Babies do grow up though so make sure you think about them in adult size before you put them in the tank. I bought my White's Tree Frog when he was 1 1/2 inches and he spent a few months in a ten gallon before I bought him a 33 gallon Exo Terra 18x18x24 and he's now double that size, in just two months! Just be careful and don't go over your allotted space unless you intend to upgrade them later once they reach adult size.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

Frogking

ok cool

bshmerlie

I think two or three Red Eyes would be a good choice. They are easy to care for and fun to watch. You can also get yellow ones (albinos) to add a color variety. I also think clowns would be a good choice but being smaller I don't usually reccomend them to first timers. They do require a smaller size cricket that may sometimes be difficult to find at some petshops. If you breed your own crickets than they would be fine. I order a box of 1000 crickets once a month and as they grow they feed the different size frogs I have. But you would have to have to get more frogs to try that option. That's why I suggested the red eyes...they are pretty universal.

Frogking

Ok thanks red eyes are what I will go with or Tiger-Legged Monkey Frog. I have a reptile expo on march27(long island ny) where I hope to get a good deal on some red eyes or. I will also have the terrarium set up by that date.

Thread Information