Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intrigued: Clown Tree frogs

Default Intrigued: Clown Tree frogs

Hi
    I saw the photo of the month and I have to say Michael your frog is stunning I'm just bewildered by such a beautiful frog and I would love to know anything at all about them so please could someone tell me about these frogs.
    Thanks Luke

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Intrigued: Clown Tree frogs

Hi Luke, I would have to agree with you there. Have you checked out "meet the frog"..The Clown tree frog is there.

Thanks Ebony had a look at it but unfortunately I'm left wanting more lol.

Kurt

I have them as does Mr. Novy. What do you want to know that the article doesn't tell you.

Hi I would love to know about their personality their hunting habits and how active they are also how big do they grow?
    I think that's about it for now will post anymore questions I have.
    Thank you VERY MUCH.

My questions were a bit vauge so here they are a bit clearer.
    1. What size bugs do they eat?
    2. How long do they live?
    3. Are they territorial?
    4. What conditions do they live in e.g. dry and hot or moist and cool?
    5. How many eggs do they lay in one clutch? (I think that's what it's called)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I would love to know this information as well, I am planning right now on picking some up at the beginning of summer, a pair of them, and housing them in my 10 gallon modified to go vert. Any specific instructions on behavior, temp/humidity, food, and life span is greatly appreciated.

I spoke with bshmerlie, one of our lovely moderators, she has one of these frogs and gave me a little information.

Here are some care sheets I found online, one I noticed is by our member Mike Novy:
    http://www.reptilechannel.com/frogs-...treefrogs.aspx

http://talkto.thefrog.org/index.php?...14&topic=12742

If anyone has had long term experience with these frogs I would love to hear they're take, they're quite interesting little things.
    Last edited by Kisa; March 23rd, 2011 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Added links
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

bshmerlie

Well i'll try to answer some of your questions...but I do want to add that I have only one and one frog is not an indicator of what all frogs of that species will do. What i'm saying is based on my frog alone. So here we go. First thing is they are very fast. Really fast. Mine is a little shy. Not shy in the respect that you never see them because mine comes out every night at feeding time. And she will not run away when I walk by. But if I open the tank and reach toward her...she's gone. I've had her for a year and she's about an inch. Maybe slightly larger I can't say for sure because she'll never let me get close enough to measure. I feed her very small 1/4 inch crickets. The smallest I can get. She'll also eat bean beetles but doesn't seem interested in fruit flies. Not sure why. The boys are definately smaller. I keep them at the same temps and humidity as my red eyes. I have a lot of leaves and plants in my tank. It looks like an overgrown jungle. One other thing I would like to note. She likes to sit in the running water of the waterfall. She wont use the water dish at all if there is a waterfall. I think she likes the moving water. I got her from a friend who had her housed with a boy so I can't say if they will bother or intimidate others of the same gender. I don't think so though. Mike Novy would be the person to ask about breeding them. He is also the best place to get yourself some CB healthy frogs. Check him out at Rainforest Junky's - Home. They are a little paler at night and more vibrant in the day. Mine sleeps in a place that I've never found. So I can't get a day picture. So temps 76-80....I keep mine set at 78 during the day. Humidity at 65-70 with good ventalation. I consider them very hardy frogs as she survived very poor conditions for a long time before I got her.

Thanks so much Cheri for the great info now my hunger for info has been satisfied maybe you and Mike could make a care sheet for them together.

Nationality
    [United States]

Well gosh darnit.. You guys are gonna make me blush..
    Since I really stink at typing it's best to contact me by phone. Just email me and I'll give it to you. I do have tadpoles in the water as we speak. Only about a week but they should be ready by august.. They take about 4 months to come out and then add another month before they are able to eat 1/8" crickets. Then they grow fast and soon begin eating 1/4" crickets.. Kind of a pain but worth it in the end.
    Michael Novy
    rainforestjunkys.com

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Quote Originally Posted by Whistly View Post
    Thanks so much Cheri for the great info now my hunger for info has been satisfied maybe you and Mike could make a care sheet for them together.

Hey Luke, Doesn't it just make you want to move? We miss out on so much when it comes to frogs here.

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by michael novy View Post
    Well gosh darnit.. You guys are gonna make me blush..
    Since I really stink at typing it's best to contact me by phone. Just email me and I'll give it to you. I do have tadpoles in the water as we speak. Only about a week but they should be ready by august.. They take about 4 months to come out and then add another month before they are able to eat 1/8" crickets. Then they grow fast and soon begin eating 1/4" crickets.. Kind of a pain but worth it in the end.
    So Mike...you're the man. Was that a good enough description of their personality or do I just have one weird frog? I suppose I should get her a boyfriend for christmas.

Nationality
    [United States]

That was a pretty good description.. I've thought about spraying down the cage with liquid redeline.
    Michael Novy
    rainforestjunkys.com

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thanks so much for the info Mike and Cheri, they're really interesting frogs, I hope I get to experience them the way you guys have described, they sound fun. Everyone needs a little chaos in their lives, eh?

Too bad you won't have any by June Mike, that's when I'll be shopping for a pair for my ten gallon vert.

There's no chance you can make it down to the San Diego Reptile Super Show in June is there? Cheri alerted me to it's existence and now I can't wait! It'll be my first reptile expo and I plan to be picking up a pair of clowns and a pair of Red Eyes (one albino and one regular), for a 30 gallon I just found for a great price this week.

I know it's far from you Mike but you should look into it if you can, I'd really love to meet you in person and see all of your amazing frogs! With the state of the Tomops me and Grrit just got from you I'm expecting nothing but the best of the rest of the species you keep! XD
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Kurt

Would you sell tadpoles?

Nationality
    [United States]

I'd like to go out to the super shows. We'll see how frog production is this year. I was planning on going to the January show 2012.

Kurt I just might be if I can get one more clutch in the next few days..I'll keep you posted.
    Michael Novy
    rainforestjunkys.com

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by michael novy View Post
    I'd like to go out to the super shows. We'll see how frog production is this year. I was planning on going to the January show 2012.

Kurt I just might be if I can get one more clutch in the next few days..I'll keep you posted.
    Is the January show in San Diego? If it's there or close by I'll try and go, I'm almost 100% going in June, it would be great to see you there. I'll be looking for Clowns so if you're there I'll definitely stop by your booth and check out what you have, I like to buy from what I know. ^ ^
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

Ebony it certainly does make you want to move we miss out on so much it's just such a shame.

Nationality
    [United States]

Luke , Ebony... Don't bother moving here.. I've been trying to escape for years.. I might consider moving by you guys.. lol.. New Zealand,or at least I gather you are from there, is one place I'd love to visit and possibly live. Home of the Tuatara.. My all time favorite reptile..
    Michael Novy
    rainforestjunkys.com

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Lol..Yes Michael, We are from New Zealand. The Tuatara is wonderful, but we dont have the frogs you guys have. You do know we can only keep three species of frog here and they are all introduced. We cant keep the NZ natives either as they are protected. I think you would miss your frogs .
    Last edited by Ebony; March 25th, 2011 at 05:22 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information