Thread: Sand for Substrate?

Sarah

Default Sand for Substrate?

I'm thinking of getting a White's Tree Frog (Litoria caerulea), and was wondering - is sand a good substrate for them?
    I have a 3ft with lovely gravel.. but to my disappointment, discovered that the impaction risk is the same for frogs as axolotls - so a no, no.

My idea is to have maybe play sand (washed super well), have a little pond, big enough to soak in, but not big enough so they will drown/be covered and can't get out. Then plants, branches to climb on and whatever else I think of.

So what do you think about sand? I did a search, but didn't find anything that states you can/can't use it as your only substrate.
    I could put my gravel at the bottom and the sand on top, but would prefer not to.. just another option if it was better with drainage, etc.

Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Leefrogs

Default Re: Sand for Substrate?

Hi Sarah, welcome to the forum. Sand is also a no. This can build up in the system and cause impaction. And whites dive into the food, always getting a mouth full, and it irritates their skin. And since they eat their shed, they're eating more sand that way too. The best substrate is coconut husk and moss. Although I went with 1/2 moss and half rock. All with husk under, I used a bad pebble size, but siliconed them together in clumps bigger than they can pick up. If u do this, make sure to use 100% silicone, and dry fir 48 hours, and no smell remains. You can go to your local hardware or landscapibg and fibd polished stones, but you will need sonethong to keep humidity up. So put my plants in square glass bowls and votive holders, then built up the ground with rock and coco husk, then moss and rock by water area. All thus braught ground level up to hide some of my pots. My dumpys enjoy hanging out on the large rocks before lights out. I used a old pool ball and big chunk of marble. Funny too, the Lil frog on the big marble, and big frog on the cue ball ( he almost covers the whole thing) Goofy frogs!!

4. This member thanks Leefrogs for this post:

Sarah

Thank you for the very informative reply Ginger & Lee.
    OK.. no sand then. I can really understand how frustratingly annoying that would be to have sand stuck on you all the time, and eating it.

How would just dirt go for a temporary substrate?

spankyg

Hi Sarah, good to see another Aussie here

Sand is (as Ginger & Lee said) a no...

Soil on the other hand, (from experience) isn't the best, but can be all right as long as it is kept reasonably firm/moist, has been treated to ensure no parasites or other nasties are hiding inside it and mustn’t be chemically treated... still, I wouldn’t recommend dirt/soil..
    I believe the best thing to use in your position would be paper towels, (preferably a brand with no odor/no chemicals). For me, paper towels work great for a temporary substrate, and although it makes it easy to clean, you might have to do it more often than not… doesn’t look too great… but it does the job… you feel me?

Try and find some coco husk that stuff is the bomb.

Goodluck

Sarah

Thanks! OK.. coco husk sounds like the way to go.

gtr319

Hi Sarah and welcome to the forum,

Sand is a no for substrate, I currently have soil and sheet moss. Works well for me, but the cons of having sheet moss is that they get mess up too easily and they are not the cheapest thing that you find on the market ($6 here in California), so you can do some more research in regard to this.

http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...-question.html

I opened a topic a while back in regards to this matter, I hope you find this useful

Thread Information