Thread: Help Urgent!!!

Fi10Semper1

Default Help Urgent!!!

Ok well Id first off like to say im new, an I dont know too much about frogs so I decided to find a forum about frogs.

Ok but heres the situation, I have a American Bullfrog. Had him for 1-2 years now. Hes Pretty descent size, but not fully grown yet. Got him at a petstore when he was a tadpole. Lately for about a week now he hasnt been eating, Maybe its a week an a half now. I usually feed him crickets, Last night I heard him go for some but he didnt get any. I dont know if hes slow. I feed him big crickets btw an I recently put 5 in so he has a better chance on getting one. I hope hes not sick. Any suggestions, should I buy smaller crickets. Maybe force feed him Idk PLEASE HELP

thanks alot

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

StephenLS

Default Re: Help Urgent!!!

I wouldn't worry if it's only been a week. My horned frog can go 3 weeks between feeds!

Are temperature/humidity as normal?

I would take all the crickets out, give it a couple of days then try again!

Can you get hold of some medium locusts - these ar slower moving!

Fi10Semper1

Thanks for the Reply, I will check on those locust. The waters kind of cold since I have an air condtioner in my room, but I get warm water an put in the tank.

StephenLS

What sort of temperature is it in your room then?

Has the air con only been put on recently and does the tank have any heating?

Fi10Semper1

around 66 for the temp. an No it doesnt have a heating source, never thought an american bullfrog would need one, thought it would dry out there skin

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

There is your issue.

At an Ambient temp of 66F, this is on the chilly side for bullfrogs. Like all ectothermic animals, their metabolism slows down considerably with the temperature. The result is they eat less and become sluggish. Bullfrogs tend to be more active during warm humid weather, so a temperature around 75-78 F during the day and 70ish at night are probably best.

I will caution you on using off the shelf heating units designed for reptiles (which all of them are). These are a surefire way to kill your amphibians.

It is better to turn up the thermostat on your AC and keep the room warmer. It is also better for your electric bill...
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

Fi10Semper1

I believe you are right, My bullfrog is sluggish, an sits on his rock way more then he used to. Hes not as jumpy either. Thanks for the Tips everyone. I am going to move my Bullfrog out of my room, so it will be warmer.

Kurt

I would like to add to what Johnny said. You should check it for a respirtory infection. When an animal stops eating that is the first thing I check for, and its possible the low temps he has been at could possibly bring this about. Hold the frog up to your ear and listen to it breath. Do it in a quiet room (obviously). What you don't want to hear is crackling, because that will most likely mean it has a respiritory infection. If does crackle when it breaths then you need to see a vet.

into

Quote Originally Posted by SludgeMunkey View Post
    I will caution you on using off the shelf heating units designed for reptiles (which all of them are). These are a surefire way to kill your amphibians.

Eeerrr... umm I use a small reptile heating pad on the side of Dumper's (WTF) tank to get the temps up to the mid 80's. I was hoping it would get up to 90, but no luck. He's sleeping on it right now. So is this a problem? I've been using it for 3 weeks now.

edit: I pulled him off the glass opposite the heater and pissed him off... he kicked at me (he doesn't like to be woken up) I snagged a thermal camera from work and his heating pad rates at 100F. Dumper's skin registers at 80F. Is that too warm for him?

Fi10Semper1

Ok well I changed my frogs tank earlier today an put warm water in for him, I put this chlorine stuff in for him to get rid of nitrate or w/e. His color changed to a light color instead of his regular color. He didnt move as much an now I just came home an I think hes dead, hes not moving an i can flip him upside down without him moving. Thanks for the help tho guys. This sucks I really liked my frog

God bless

Kurt

So sorry.

Fi10Semper1

yea me too

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Sorry to hear that Tyler. It's very hard to say what was wrong with him - it might not have been anything to do with you/your care of him. For what it's worth, American Bullfrogs are incredibly common so if you want another it shouldn't be hard to come by one. They're not my cup of tea though.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Fi10Semper1

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Sorry to hear that Tyler. It's very hard to say what was wrong with him - it might not have been anything to do with you/your care of him. For what it's worth, American Bullfrogs are incredibly common so if you want another it shouldn't be hard to come by one. They're not my cup of tea though.
    nah, it would feel like im replacing him

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by into View Post
    Eeerrr... umm I use a small reptile heating pad on the side of Dumper's (WTF) tank to get the temps up to the mid 80's. I was hoping it would get up to 90, but no luck. He's sleeping on it right now. So is this a problem? I've been using it for 3 weeks now.

edit: I pulled him off the glass opposite the heater and pissed him off... he kicked at me (he doesn't like to be woken up) I snagged a thermal camera from work and his heating pad rates at 100F. Dumper's skin registers at 80F. Is that too warm for him?
    The risk, especially with heating pad type units and those horrid hot rocks is failure of the thermostat. Many have no thermostat and rely solely on a single resitior in parallel to the circuit for control. Believe me when I say, the risk of failure, and even fire is high. A good rule to follow is just like with aquarium heaters- use one size smaller than what the manufacturer suggests.

I feel the safest way to use these products is to try to avoid direct contact with the animal. In Dumper's case he has the glass as an insulator, so I would not worry too much. The good thing about amphibians, unlike reptiles, is that they are often smart enough to move when they get too warm.

I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your pet, Tyler. (Do not tell anyone, but I get pretty choked up, even by normal, natural losses.)
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

Fi10Semper1

Quote Originally Posted by SludgeMunkey View Post
    The risk, especially with heating pad type units and those horrid hot rocks is failure of the thermostat. Many have no thermostat and rely solely on a single resitior in parallel to the circuit for control. Believe me when I say, the risk of failure, and even fire is high. A good rule to follow is just like with aquarium heaters- use one size smaller than what the manufacturer suggests.

I feel the safest way to use these products is to try to avoid direct contact with the animal. In Dumper's case he has the glass as an insulator, so I would not worry too much. The good thing about amphibians, unlike reptiles, is that they are often smart enough to move when they get too warm.

I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your pet, Tyler. (Do not tell anyone, but I get pretty choked up, even by normal, natural losses.)

yeah me too, an it makes me mad when people say "its just a frog". But things die, an I cant do anything about it. Im just gonna have to suck it up.

God bless man

Thread Information