Thread: Lighting question?

hereces

Default Lighting question?

I have a 12x12x18 Exo Terra viv planted with Pothos, Monstera and Syngonium for my milk frogs.
    I'm currently running 2x 26w Repti Glo bulbs and was wondering if 2x 13w bulbs would suffice instead?
    Our electricity bill was quite high this quarter and the vivarium has been the only new addition during this time, I'm just trying to save us some money if possible.

Thanks for your time.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Lighting question?

I use 1 Compact Florescent at 26 watt on my 18x18x24 planted exo and the plants do great.

hereces

Quote Originally Posted by DonLisk View Post
    I use 1 Compact Florescent at 26 watt on my 18x18x24 planted exo and the plants do great.
    Is that in a compact top canopy or single light fitting?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Its a Canopy top.
    I have Pothos, Snake Plants, and a large Brom.

bshmerlie

I can't imagine two 26 watt light bulbs costing that much to use. The last quarter was also the first of winter...could that be a factor?

Leefrogs

I know prices are different from the us to uk, but a 50 watt on 12 hours a day should only be like 5$ a month. Heating pads have a low wattage, so also like 5$ a month. 1,000kw is about 100$ so ----- 50 watts x 12 hours= 600 watts, there's a 1000 watts in one kw. So 50 cents a day MAX. but it gives u an idea how to figure that out with anything and it's wattage

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by Leefrogs View Post
    I know prices are different from the us to uk, but a 50 watt on 12 hours a day should only be like 5$ a month. Heating pads have a low wattage, so also like 5$ a month. 1,000kw is about 100$ so ----- 50 watts x 12 hours= 600 watts, there's a 1000 watts in one kw. So 50 cents a day MAX. but it gives u an idea how to figure that out with anything and it's wattage
    Wow...and there you have it. Okay everybody...please forward your electric bills and your tank parameters and Gingerlee will be happy to calculate your frog costs for you. Don your wife might actually boot you out this time.

Leefrogs

Thanks!! But there is a surcharge!! LOL. Did I forget to say if it says 50 watts it means 50 an hour, just FYI. And I looked at my bill it's .10 for every KW, or per every 1,000 watts. And heating pad? I'm guessing how many watts. So 50 cents a day is an over estimate

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

That information is really helpful Ginger, thanks! I had no idea what our bill would be like after setting up the two vivs I have now, plus adding the 12x12x18 for the P. Tomopterna next week. Now I know what to say when my dad *****es at me about the electricity. >> Haha XD
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hereces View Post
    I have a 12x12x18 Exo Terra viv planted with Pothos, Monstera and Syngonium for my milk frogs.
    I'm currently running 2x 26w Repti Glo bulbs and was wondering if 2x 13w bulbs would suffice instead?
    Our electricity bill was quite high this quarter and the vivarium has been the only new addition during this time, I'm just trying to save us some money if possible.

Thanks for your time.
    That's weird...my 12x12x18 rainforest kit came with a compact top that only fits one bulb, did you buy yours separately?

Currently I'm using a compact top (medium) on my 18x18x24 with two exo terra compact bulbs, a 2.0 and 5.0 during the day and two night glo moonlight bulbs at night and I haven't heard anything from my dad about electricity yet so...>>

On my 12x12x18 I have a Golden Pothos and a Snake Plant and plan on using an Exo Terra 5.0 during the day and a Night Glo at night. I haven't had any light on the plants except the sun that filters in through my window since I put the viv together last week and the plants look great so...Idk about keeping them healthy, I don't have a green thumb. XD
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Leefrogs

Floresent bulbs are usually???? 12 watt. Not sure, should say on it sumwhere, but I'm refering to incandesents in a refector dome. Heat pads, heating cables all that have a wattage printed some where. All easy to figure out to penny. I had a roomate once who was afraid of the dark or something, and we share da light bill. Just in case ur all wondering, I'd wake up and every light would be on. Me personally, can see in the dark. LOL

hereces

Thank you for all the info Ginger and Lee, I now know that it's not my lighting and heat mat eating the electric.

Kisa, Yes I did buy my compact top separately, The viv didn't come with one.

Thread Information