Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Totally stealing this idea: Crowd-sourcing for Names! :D

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Totally stealing this idea: Crowd-sourcing for Names! :D

Sorry for stealing your idea Eric, but I'm desperate for opinions. ><

I'm getting two Phyllomedusa Tomopterna from Mike Novy by the end of next week and I want to get everyone's opinions for good names if you all wouldn't mind. I have some ideas in mind already, as I really like themed names, but I'd like to here what everyone on here thinks as well.

My ideas are (for hopefully a male and female) Jack Napier and Harleen Quinzel, to follow along with my running batman theme(My baby White's is Bruce Wayne. For those of you who don't know, those are the alter egos of Batman's arch nemeses, the Joker and his Partner Harley Quinn. If they're both female I was going to go with Harleen Quinzel and Selina Kyle (catwoman). And if they're both male, Jack Napier and Harvey Dent.

I've also thought of the names Lazarus and Balthazar if they end up both being male, I like the idea of an angels/demons theme, they always had cool names. XD

I do want the two of them to match in some way as I love themed names, but anything you guys can come up with as a pair would be cool, or if you want to vote for the two sets I put up already that's fine also.

I'm also looking something with a tiger theme because of the tiger stripe pattern on these frogs, so if you know any other languages I'm open to that as well! Tora is tiger in Japanese so that's good for a female, but what about Russian or French or German, anything you guys can think of!

Thanks for reading/voting everyone! And in case you don't know what Phyllomedusa Tomopterna are, they're Super Tiger Legged Monkey Frogs, and here's a picture! It's just a sample photo I found on google, but it's a great reference.

0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Leefrogs

Default Re: Totally stealing this idea: Crowd-sourcing for Names! :D

I would go with famous tiger names. What was the tigers name that mangled Sigfred and Roy! Or if they just disappear into viv, name the Sigfred and Roy, LOL.

clownonfire

I'm really happy you're crowdsourcing, Britt! I love the Batman themed names.

If you stay in the realm of comic books, how about Dr. Manhattan and Rorschach if it's two males, or Dr. Manhattan and Sally Jupiter if male and female, or Sally Jupiter and Silk Spectre if two females from The Watchmen?

If you like Neil Gaiman, you could call them Sandman/Dream/Morpheus and Delirium...

Russian names... You could get great literature names like my fave characters from Dostoievsky, Crime and Punishment's Raskolnikov and Porfiry Petrovich if two males.

Enjoy!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clownonfire View Post
    I'm really happy you're crowdsourcing, Britt! I love the Batman themed names.

If you stay in the realm of comic books, how about Dr. Manhattan and Rorschach if it's two males, or Dr. Manhattan and Sally Jupiter if male and female, or Sally Jupiter and Silk Spectre if two females from The Watchmen?

If you like Neil Gaiman, you could call them Sandman/Dream/Morpheus and Delirium...

Russian names... You could get great literature names like my fave characters from Dostoievsky, Crime and Punishment's Raskolnikov and Porfiry Petrovich if two males.

Enjoy!!

Wow, now your talking my old stomping grounds :-)

Haven't really thought about naming my frogs except we call one Spidy since he leaps from glass to glass all night long.

I should name one of my Whites.... Too Much Coffee Man and another Safety Belt Man :-)

Thats It! I'm going to rummage through my old comics and see what I can find in some Cry For Dawn or some Amazing Fantasy issues!
    If I didn't have to run to work I'd be ripping out some boxes now.

bshmerlie

Being a comic fan myself I would stick with the comic theme. How about Tony Strark and Pepper Potts? Or Lois and Clark? Peter and Mary Jane? Or are you just a Batman fan?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Wow guys these are all great suggestions! XD

@ Ginger: Haha I like the famous tiger idea, but I'm not too sure about Siegfried and Roy, I don't feel like I knew those guys well enough to pay homage, you know what I mean? Plus I'm not really a fan of that sort of weird vegas magic show stuff...unless you're talking about Cirque du Soleil, now THAT'S an amazing show. XD

@ Eric: OMg wonderful! I LOVE The Watchman, one of my favorite comics and best movies I've seen in the past few years. Lots of people didn't like it, but I thought it was wonderful. I like the idea of naming one of the frogs Dr. Manhattan, just having the Dr. in there is awesome. XD I'm not really into the name Sally...but Silk Spectre would be an awesome name. I'll keep The Watchman in mind when I'm think about names for sure now, it hadn't even crossed before. XD

@ Don: Hahaha those names for your frogs are cute, I think you should go for it. XD

@ Cheri: Not really a big fan of Spiderman, I have to say he's one of my least favorite super heroes, and super man's just not really for me...but Iron Man and Batman are great! I just love the fact that they don't really have "powers" per se, they're just awesome, intelligent, and happen to know several different martial arts. XD Tony and Pepper would be cute names for the frogs too, especially the latter because of the orange coloration. I'll keep those in mind.

Also guys I just remembered (Eric reminded me by mentioning Morpheus) I absolutely LOVE Greek and Norse mythology so any Gods you guys like would be cool to know as well. I really love Athena (goddess of strategic war and wisdom, whose symbol is the owl) and Apollo (god of the sun chariot)...but then again Apollo and Atremis (goddess of the hunt and the moon) were brother and sister, that might be a good pair to go for...hmm?

Any gods you guys like? O: Keep 'em coming, we got a whole week! XD
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

spankyg

Quote Originally Posted by Kisa View Post
    Also guys I just remembered (Eric reminded me by mentioning Morpheus) I absolutely LOVE Greek and Norse mythology so any Gods you guys like would be cool to know as well. I really love Athena (goddess of strategic war and wisdom, whose symbol is the owl) and Apollo (god of the sun chariot)...but then again Apollo and Atremis (goddess of the hunt and the moon) were brother and sister, that might be a good pair to go for...hmm?

Any gods you guys like? O: Keep 'em coming, we got a whole week! XD
    Well, I like the name "Nox", because it's short and it sounds awsome..and it's a marvel comic book character from Doctor Strange plus it's the roman translation of Nyx the primordial god of the night in greek mythology so how do you like them apples

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spankyg View Post
    Well, I like the name "Nox", because it's short and it sounds awsome..and it's a marvel comic book character from Doctor Strange plus it's the roman translation of Nyx the primordial god of the night in greek mythology so how do you like them apples
    Hahaha I like them apples very much. XD I'm excited that you know your mythology Greg, it's a dying interest in today's fast paced, monotheistic society. ^ ^

Nyx is a great name for a female and I believe her son was Tartarus...? That might be cool to think about, frogs named Nyx and Tartarus....hmmm....>>

Keep 'em comin guys! The due date just got extended unfortunately for another week, so we have plenty of time to come up with a huge list!

Thanks for your help everyone, I really appreciate your opinions! ^ ^

Oh, and a quick update: Mike said he'd try to get me a pair, so now I'm definitely looking for male/female counterpart names. Just to let you guys know.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Update: (Totally reminded of Unsolved Mysteries right now. XD)

So I'm not getting the new frogs for another week or so... Probably next Thursday guys...

But this gives you so much more time to help me with names!

I can tell everyone's just so ecstatic to be helping me out. >> (It's hard to be sarcastic online)

But c'mon guys I really need your help! I need all the suggestions I can get! ><

BUMP. D<
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

Leefrogs

I would go a ting yang thing. Not up on Greek mythology, but nyx, and whatever sun god would be?!? Maybe if that name sounds cool?

Leefrogs

I would go a ying yang thing. Not up on Greek mythology, but nyx, and whatever sun god would be?!? Maybe if that name sounds cool? But Ra was egiptian sun god, that's short, and sounds good with nix...... Nix , Ra

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leefrogs View Post
    I would go a ying yang thing. Not up on Greek mythology, but nyx, and whatever sun god would be?!? Maybe if that name sounds cool? But Ra was egiptian sun god, that's short, and sounds good with nix...... Nix , Ra
    That's a good idea...the God of the sun in Greek mythology was Hyperion, not really a good frog name. XD I'm not sure if I want to mix mythologies though, that wouldn't really be with a cohesive theme unfortunately. But good thought train Ginger that was helpful. Anyone know the name of the Egyptian moon god?
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

clownonfire

Brit, on your pictures I saw an old poster of a Nintendo DS.... Now it might just be relics from your teenager years, but there are cool names in games... What about Sephiroth for a male? Or Cloud? Or Squall...

(I'm totally geeking out here)...

Geofrog707

That name Sephiroth sounds cool!! My ideas are (I am taking latin so I have a few cool sounding ones, or ones I think are cool at least lol) Salsus (it means witty, not really suiting frogs but sounds nice lol), Ranus (I think that is the latin name for frog), or if you are feeling emo "Nescio" (It literally translates as "I kill" O_O). OR! You could go with the best, unparalleled, ground-breakingly epic name that has ever been having the honor of being given to a frog..................which is froggy

P.S. "Sonic" sounds cool too

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'm gonna go with Gloop and Gleep from.....? anyone :-)
    We'll see how old this group is.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

@ Eric: OMg we have a Final Fantasy fan!? OMg this is so epic! >< I can't even express to you the excitement I'm feeling right now! I LOVE video games, just another one of my small obsessions, other than frogs. >> Along with Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Teriyaki Chicken, and green things. XD Unfortunately though I don't really like Sephiroth as a character, or Cloud for that matter, and I never got through FFVIII all the way...I think if I went with video game names it would have to be...........you know what actually I don't know. XD; I have a name idea from a video games for two future cats I plan on getting...but other than that I don't think I like ay characters enough to name them after them.

@ Ginger: You're taking Latin? That's crazy cool Ginger, I've wanted to take Latin since I was in High School, but my college doesn't offer it so Japanese was the next best thing. XD Those words are all pretty cool too, Ginger, I'll keep them in mind.

@ Don: Unfortunately I don't get the reference. It reminds me of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory though because of Augustus Gloop. XD; But other than that I don't know. Sorry. ><
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by Kisa View Post
    @ Eric: OMg we have a Final Fantasy fan!? OMg this is so epic! >< I can't even express to you the excitement I'm feeling right now! I LOVE video games, just another one of my small obsessions, other than frogs. >> Along with Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Teriyaki Chicken, and green things. XD Unfortunately though I don't really like Sephiroth as a character, or Cloud for that matter, and I never got through FFVIII all the way...I think if I went with video game names it would have to be...........you know what actually I don't know. XD; I have a name idea from a video games for two future cats I plan on getting...but other than that I don't think I like ay characters enough to name them after them.

@ Ginger: You're taking Latin? That's crazy cool Ginger, I've wanted to take Latin since I was in High School, but my college doesn't offer it so Japanese was the next best thing. XD Those words are all pretty cool too, Ginger, I'll keep them in mind.

@ Don: Unfortunately I don't get the reference. It reminds me of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory though because of Augustus Gloop. XD; But other than that I don't know. Sorry. ><
    Kisa, how can you say that.... Sephiroth is the best villain in all Final Fantasy!!!!! I could almost cry now... I haven't played any RPGs since the birth of my kids. It's too time consuming.... At least, it is for my obsessive nature as I must do ALL side quests, Gold Chocobos and what not. So my dear friend, you have great taste in music, in super heroes (and villains), and Gaming... You once told me you also liked Jap/An. It could be a name from Spirited Away....

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clownonfire View Post
    Kisa, how can you say that.... Sephiroth is the best villain in all Final Fantasy!!!!! I could almost cry now... I haven't played any RPGs since the birth of my kids. It's too time consuming.... At least, it is for my obsessive nature as I must do ALL side quests, Gold Chocobos and what not. So my dear friend, you have great taste in music, in super heroes (and villains), and Gaming... You once told me you also liked Jap/An. It could be a name from Spirited Away....
    I do love Anime! And thanks for the compliment I like to think that I have the BEST taste in music and movies and video games. >>; XD Sorry I disappointed you about Sephiroth, I never really liked him or any of the characters from FFVII unfortunately. There's a really weird culture out here with that game in my age group that I don't have a desire to belong to.

And that's so weird that you say that because I am the exact same way about video games. XD; Well...about everything. I was diagnosed with OCD in my first year of high school and have the disorder mildly, but it still doesn't allow me to finish anything without completing it without 100%. XD Sometimes it's really hard to deal with...but I get by. XD

And that's a good idea about Spirited Away, Chihiro and Kohaku? That's a cute name for a pair definitely, thanks for the idea! XD Or I could do A****aka and Mononoke from Princess Mononoke, or Kiki and Jiji from Kiki's Deliary Service. XD
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

Leefrogs

Oh it wasn't me spewing Latin, similar avitar I think. Can't take credit

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Wow, no one watched the Herculoids? hmmmm.... I gotta sit down and have a drink.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information