Thread: European Toad

Kerry1968

Default European Toad

I saw one of these for sale today in a nearby 'exotics' shop, are they good captives? I feel a little loathe to spend £20 on a toad that I could probably catch in someones garden for free! Or are they different species to the type we find regularly in Britain?

I have read the care sheet about keeping toads, but wondered how much I would actually see a toad if I got one? Would it be buried the majority of the time?

Also the shop that was selling it had a notice that stated they need 'full specrtrum lighting' what does that mean? Sorry if I'm being dumb!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: European Toad

European Toad is not a name I know. The closest name I can think of is European Green Toad. What does this guy look like? The full spectrum lighting stuff is nonsense. As for care, the "Toad Basics" sticky in this forum area is what you need. I keep a few species of toads (I just caught some Great Plains Toads yesterday too) and I find that adults rarely come out during the main part of the day but I do seem one occasionally at that time. However they are out from before dusk until after dawn. Mine are all central/southern US species which all burrow during the day - European species don't do this much - they are more inclined to use hides if you provide them than the American species I have.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kerry1968

I've looked it up online, basically I was right, it is just a bog standard Common Toad (think it's Bufo bufo).

Think I'll wait to get something a little more exotic!

I have a spare 2 foot tank and I'm desperate to fill it!

I'll probably just wait until I start off with the axie lavae again, I'll have my hands full then anyway.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

That pet shop is breaking the law then as it stands right now - I'd report them for having the cheek to sell a Common Toad as a "European Toad".

Kurt

Why is it illegal to sell Bufo bufo in the UK?

Nationality
    [Ireland]

There's a bunch of laws that I can't remember the names of. Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 prohibits the sale of native wildlife unless the parents themselves were captive bred, not just the offspring. Know anyone captive breeding Bufo bufo in the UK? No? Nobody does. Then there's the Bern Convention and a bunch of other things I can't remember.

Kurt

So I guess it is likely that Kerry is looking at an illegal Bufo bufo.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Yeah. Not that it means anything to any law enforcement agent. They probably wouldn't know a Bufo bufo from a Bufo alvarius.

Kurt

Neither would I.

Just kidding. LOL

coltiger

I grew up in Scotland and remember those toads. We always called them the European toad as it is found across most of Europe, there is also a sub species from Japan Bufo japonicus I think that is the right name. I couldnt imagine this toad being illegal to keep as it is abundant. Maybe a bylaw or something kinda like one we got here that forbids you too keep Salamanders and turtles.

Kerry1968

I've sent an email query to the Joint Nature Conservation Commitee as they are the advisors to the government and were involved with the setting up of the Wildlife and Conservation Act that British amphibians are protected by.

Here is the email I sent....

I am aware that it is illegal to sell British wild caught amphibians.

I have seen for sale this week a Common toad (Bufo bufo) in a local reptile shop, they have it labelled as an European toad.

I suppose there is no way of proving that this animal is wild caught or captive bred, so it may be hard to do anything about it, but I wondered if legally they are allowed to sell a British toad, if that, in fact, is what it is?

I await their response.

Kurt

Bufo japonicus is a completely different species from Bufo bufo.

coltiger

Thanks for correcting me on Bufo japonicus I do remember reading about them, perhaps it is Bufo bufo's closest relative. As for the laws on keeping the toad in Britain I wouldnt know if it is legal or not. It would be interesting to know for sure even though I live in Canada now.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by coltiger View Post
    Thanks for correcting me on Bufo japonicus I do remember reading about them, perhaps it is Bufo bufo's closest relative
    Well, they are still in the same genus, even after Frost made his revisions to the genus Bufo. Those two are of a small handfull he did not rename.
    Most of the toads we know are now in different genera according to his revisions. Bufo marinus is now Chanus marina, Bufo americanus is now Anaxyrus americanus, Bufo alvarius is now Ollotis alvaria, Bufo guttatus is now Rhaebo gutttus, Bufo viridis is now Pseudepidalea viridis, and so on. Bufo bufo and Bufo japonica remain the same.

Kerry1968

The reply from them.......

Thank you for your email. You are right, the Common Toad Bufo bufo (also known as the European Toad) is protected under Schedule 5 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, in respect of section 9 (5).

This section forbids its (a) sale or (b) advertisement for sale.

According to section 9 (6) of the act, “In any proceedings for an offence under subsection (1), (2) or 5 (a), the animal in question shall be presumed to have been a wild animal unless the contrary is shown.”

Thus the responsibility lies with the reptile shop to show that it is not a wild animal for it to be sold legally.

I would advise you to get in touch with your relevant country conservation agency (Natural England, Countryside Council for Wales, Scottish Natural Heritage, or Northern Ireland Environment Agency, depending on your location) to follow this matter up.

Best regards,

Anna Robinson

Biodiversity Information Officer

So now I need to contact Natural England!

This is the next email....

Hello, I emailed JNCC regarding this matter and they reccommended I get in touch with you.

I have seen a Common toad for sale in my local reptile shop, they have it labelled as an 'European toad', but as this is the same species I understand this is illegal.

What is the next step? Is there anything that can be done?

I look forward to hearing back from you

And so the tale continues!
    Last edited by Kerry1968; August 21st, 2009 at 09:55 AM. Reason: added next email.

Thread Information