Thread: Injured frog

Tana Luna

Default Injured frog

Hello all, I'm a noob so sorry if I post in the wrong place ^_^

I have just found a frog out on the pavement, on his back, scuffed nose and a missing eye.
    I think a bird must have had a peck, I currently have him in a tub with a bit of rain water and a couple of worms incase he is hungry.
    There is alot of blood but he seems surprisingly active.
    Can anyone give advice on how to treat him?

Thanks

bshmerlie

Default Re: Injured frog

Welcome to the forum. Preferably he should go to the vet but if you can not do that then flush out the wound with water to clean it out. You can use neosporin (the type without pain reliever) to help prevent infection. The problem is frogs hunt their food by movement. So with one eye he is going to be at a serious disadvantage in the wild. They eat crickets and other insects. They can also eat worms but they need to move so he can see them. Are you prepared to keep a frog as a pet? If not you can nurse him back to health but he may suffer a similar fate once released. Nature is not very sympathetic to the sick or injured. If you do desire to keep him post a picture so we can help you figure out what kind of frog he is so we can offer you advice on a proper setup and care. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

3. 2 members thank bshmerlie for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tana Luna View Post
    Hello all, I'm a noob so sorry if I post in the wrong place ^_^

I have just found a frog out on the pavement, on his back, scuffed nose and a missing eye.
    I think a bird must have had a peck, I currently have him in a tub with a bit of rain water and a couple of worms incase he is hungry.
    There is alot of blood but he seems surprisingly active.
    Can anyone give advice on how to treat him?

Thanks
    Hi Tana,

You should try to find a sympathetic vet who can have a look at the frog and assess him/her properly - that would be by far his best chance.

I don't know the vets around Bournemouth myself but if you try your local vets they should know someone who may be willing to see and treat the frog.

Hope you can get him/her sorted out.

Bruce.

5. This member thanks Herpvet for this post:

Hi welcome to the forum.
    To be honest I wouldn't be bothered one bit about the missing eye as when I lived in England we had a big pond and quite a few rose bushes and one day I saw a frog with a mutilated eye socket and no eye (probably lost it in the rose bushes), and yet it was a fat happy common frog which I saw for quite a few months before moving back to NZ. So I wouldn't be surprised if it mangaes fine with one eye it's just the wound I would be worried about. If you decide to keep it then when you put food in I would just put the food on the side that has an eye.
    Hope this helps
    Luke

7. This member thanks Whistly for this post:

Tana Luna

Hi everyone, thanks so much for all your replies!
    Mr Frog is fine I couldn't get him to a vets but he seems okay, I washed his face with water and his face looks a little more settled now, I think I may have to release him and leave his fate to mother nature. I will keep him a couple more days just to make sure then pop him in a pond and hope for the best.

Thanks again for all your help

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    You can use neosporin (the type without pain reliever) to help prevent infection.
    In the UK and other western European countries all antibiotics are controlled substances that cannot be purchased over the counter. Quite right too. In the US the antibiotics flow like water. That's why there are more and more problems with antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

ARMS87

welcome

Tana Luna

Hello everyone, just to let you know I have set up a tank for him in the garden, I bought some wriggly meal worms, he is still alive so thats a good sign! I have put a load of dead leaves on the mossy bit, he seems to have made a bed there. I will try to attach a picture.

I know frogs can regrow parts of their bodies, I wonder if that goes for complex parts such as eyes?

Thanks, Tanaluna
    Attached Images Attached Images   

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by Tana Luna View Post

I know frogs can regrow parts of their bodies, I wonder if that goes for complex parts such as eyes?
    I think your thinking of the salamander. Some can regrow limbs, tails and even parts of the eye. But frogs lose their regenerative abilities like that when they reach adulthood. He'll probably adapt to live without the eye. If you're going to keep him in a tank outside just make sure it is secured from predators. Looks like you have yourself a pet.

Thread Information