Thread: Sexing Red Eye Tree Frogs

Chanelschiele

Default Sexing Red Eye Tree Frogs

Hello! I want to try to breed my two red eyes. I bought one RETF and I thought that mabybe it was a female. Its about 2.25", is slender and has a bit of a round nose. The reason I thought it was a female was because the neck area doesn't look like it has any loose skin nor is it discolored and it has yet to chirp. We just got another RETF and it is HUGE compared to our other one. This new RETF looks fatter and has a very disticnt nose. Because of the size I'm guessing that this is a mis-sexed female because we requested a male. I'll post pictures a little later today. So I'm thinking that the one that we originally bought is a male and the one that we just got is a female. Can anyone give me insight? The size difference between the two is really confusing me. Could this be a monsterous male?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Sexing Red Eye Tree Frogs

My female is signifigantly larger than my male. I understand there is some difference in head shape, but I never too the time to compare them in that way. Colour-wise they are identical. The female is around 3 or 4 inches SVL, and the male at least an inch shorter.

Could you please add your location and country to your profile? It helps us to help you that much better.

bshmerlie

I think size is your best bet. Between 4-6 months the girls just sprout quickly. Huge is the word I call them compared to the boys.

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    I think size is your best bet. Between 4-6 months the girls just sprout quickly. Huge is the word I call them compared to the boys.
    Between 4-6 months the females sprout quickly to adulthood? or after hatching?

Trying to sex mine as well. Ive had him for five months and he hasnt grown length wise, is still a little under two and a half inches. Cant tell if its a subadult femalr or adult male. Would it take longer than five months to grow length wise if he werent an adult?

Thread Information