Thread: How much to feed? Beginner/Young Frog

Drizzle

Default How much to feed? Beginner/Young Frog

Hey guys just picked up a new pyxie a few days ago, he/she is only around 2" and I believe a month or month and a half old.

How much do I feed him? As much as he can eat in one sitting? Last time I lost count at around 10 large crickets (could have been more) and stopped because I was afraid of over-feeding him. He most likely would have eaten quite a bit more.

The pet store gave him 5-6 crickets a day and a pinky a week. I am aware that is far too many pinkies and plan to cut it down to once every month or even once every two months. But as for feeding him the staples on a daily basis, is it as much as he can eat within 15 minutes or so?

Thanks , would appreciate a quick response if possible before I feed him in a couple hours.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Drizzle

Default Re: How much to feed? Beginner/Young Frog

He just ate about 20 large crickets within 15 minutes (per the advice given on frogfreaks).

Looks like I'll have to head back to petsmart to buy more... this is gonna be costly haha.

woppa

Quote Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
    He just ate about 20 large crickets within 15 minutes (per the advice given on frogfreaks).

Looks like I'll have to head back to petsmart to buy more... this is gonna be costly haha.
    That thing must have a bottomless stomach O_O

Jace

Congrats on your new addition, Drizzle. Young ABF can be quite the bottomless pit when it comes to food. When two of mine were young, they were fed 4-5 times a week, with their main staple being earthworms supplemented with crickets. Once a month, a pinky was given and once a week, mealworms as a treat. Once they reached 6 months of age, I began to cut back on the feedings to 3-4 times a week. At a year, it was even less. I have one male who now only eats 2-3 times a month, another male that prefers food every week and my female likes her food every other week. I semi-hibernate them in the winter when my worm supply is rather pathetic. Depending on where you live, you could even give them locusts, which are bigger and good on protein.

Speaking of which, though I can see you are in Texas, could you please confirm your nationality on your profile?? Thanks so much and enjoy your African Bullfrog-I absolutely love my three! :-)

Thread Information