Thread: White tree frog enclosure questions

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default White tree frog enclosure questions

As many of you already read I plan on building a nice white tree frog enclosure for my living room I contacted my sister to get the exact dimensions of the aquraium it is 2 1/2 feet tall 2 feet wide and 4 feet long is this tall enough for them or am I going to have to be creative with plexiglass, epoxy glue and alot swearing. and I read on here that you can use springtails to help clean the tank does this work...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: White tree frog enclosure questions

Quote Originally Posted by j3000 View Post
    As many of you already read I plan on building a nice white tree frog enclosure for my living room I contacted my sister to get the exact dimensions of the aquraium it is 2 1/2 feet tall 2 feet wide and 4 feet long is this tall enough for them or am I going to have to be creative with plexiglass, epoxy glue and alot swearing. and I read on here that you can use springtails to help clean the tank does this work...
    You can use that in its vertical position with the 2.5 feet height.
    Taller is always cooler since they will climb, but they will definitely use the floor space too if done vertically.

There are a lot of setups to look at in the pics gallery so check some out and pre plan.

Seeding the tank with springtails will create a waste removal system built right in.

Leefrogs

most vivs are 24 high, yours will be 30, so if u wana lay down, it's still tall enough. If u set it on end u will have to manufacture doors for it. There are kits on line, and some people make their own. Allot of options, there's a big beautiful whites tank on u tube over 7 feet long. Has branches all over, nice, but it is horizontial also. And if yr curious how to figure gallons, LxHxW= then divide by 231, this may help u find conversion kit on line.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

That tank sounds HUGE! I think whatever you do with it your White's will like the space. My big boy just sits on the ground all day, rarely does he climb at all and I have him in a vertical tank with a huge stick and a vine for him to swing from (jk XD). I wish he would climb more...but alas his fat keeps him from soaring to new heights. XD;

But yeah that tank sounds amazing, I can't wait to see what you do with all that space.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Leefrogs

wow, that's 149 gal!!! Could fit an entire commune of whites in there, over 10 frogs, maybe u should set up waterfall, rainchamber, and breed!! Lotta work breeding and raising tadpoles, esp cuz they lay 500 to 1,000 eggs. But if u don't want that tank..... I'll have it!! LOL ----- just kidding. That's allot of room to be creative!!!

Nationality
    [United States]

It is nice it sits on a nice wood cabnet. With all the trimmings every thing she had when she had fish she paid $1200 for it. I traded a piano for the thing. I would put fish in it but I kill fish and house plants. I even killed a cactus once. Still trying to figure that one out. That is one of the reasons why I have to know everything before I get started on this project. I don't want to make any mistakes. The sad part is I know I will but at least I have good people here that will help me when I need it.

Nationality
    [United States]

I am also planning on having only 3 to 5 frogs in the setup.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Awe we're always hear to help, especially those of us who keep White's. We can answer almost any question you have, just PM any one of us and we'll help you out. It's a pretty daunting task at first but once you start you'll realize it's a lot easier than you thought. Cleanliness is key, you never want to touch your frogs with dirty hands or chemicals like soap or lotion. As long as you keep that in mind, along with the specific husbandry rules for White's, you should be fine. I'm sure we all have faith!

You could probably keep a lot more than three to five white's in 149 gallon tank, but do what you're comfortable with, you definitely don't want to have too much on your plate. And as long as you follow quarantine procedures you could always get more White's later on and add them to the setup. I promise you if I had a bigger tank I would be going crazy with White's XD I might even try to add a partition so I could keep more than one species in the same tank. I'd be like a kid in a candy store! XD
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Leefrogs

We'll do what we can to help, Kisa's right, it all seems soo much, but whites are the perfectly forgiving frog. We'll try to find as many short cuts as we can for u. One thing to think of now would be heating that big tank. Frog heating pads are expensive, and for a cage that size, u could easily blow 100$, atleast. An alternative is regular human heat pads, u can adjust temp, high, med, and low. And clamp lights can produce heat with a grow light for the plants, if your tank has a hood, u can get the light for uva&b at walmart and save 20 to 50$. My light was 7$ but 30 at petstore. And even if u don't have a green thumb, the valarium itself will help out quite a bit. Just having the moist closed (somewhat) environment will increase growth. Mist plants to add humidity, and water 1x a week, I use glass votive pots and bowls, so I can see if I flooded the thing. They'll droop drownded, and droop dry. When my humidity drops I know the plants are dry. You'll do fine, promise. Google hardy plants, and cross refrance with terrarium plants.

Rocko

Quote Originally Posted by Kisa View Post
    Awe we're always hear to help, especially those of us who keep White's. We can answer almost any question you have, just PM any one of us and we'll help you out. It's a pretty daunting task at first but once you start you'll realize it's a lot easier than you thought. Cleanliness is key, you never want to touch your frogs with dirty hands or chemicals like soap or lotion. As long as you keep that in mind, along with the specific husbandry rules for White's, you should be fine. I'm sure we all have faith!

You could probably keep a lot more than three to five white's in 149 gallon tank, but do what you're comfortable with, you definitely don't want to have too much on your plate. And as long as you follow quarantine procedures you could always get more White's later on and add them to the setup. I promise you if I had a bigger tank I would be going crazy with White's XD I might even try to add a partition so I could keep more than one species in the same tank. I'd be like a kid in a candy store! XD
    I could not imagine keeping more than a few whites in the same tank even at that size. Eesh trying to get them all fed properly seems like a bunch of work.

Nationality
    [United States]

It has the top that it had when there were fish in the aquraium. But I read somewhere the problem with that is ventilation. But I do own a glass drill bit that is the size of a pencil I figure I could use that to put ventilation holes around the top. I have no idea how I am going to heat it. But the way I look at it, is I will figure it out along the way, Like I have said before I am very patient. Saturday the aquraium will be here, I am going to take some construction paper to the tank and use that to help with the design. And trust me you will be overwhelm with pics and questions. What does a rain room due and have anyone every use one of those froggy foggers.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Just some random thoughts to pass on to you.

If the room you are keeping the tank in has an average room temp of 68 degrees plus then you have no need for heat pads under the tank. I keep some small pads around just in case but under normal conditions in your home, just lighting on top will add the needed heat for your frogs and slightly covering the tanks top with glass and using a screen on the rest of the top will usually keep in heat and help keep up the humidity.

You can add a small fan from a computer to the top screen to push in air for circulation.
    Just remember that air coming in is dry so too much will drop humidity.
    OR
    Instead of drilling holes, I would look at this system first. Will chnge out air and add humidity off a small inexpensive fish tank air pump..... Tropic Air Humidifier & Air Exchanger

With two home depot compact florescent bulbs (6500K color spectrum) and at only 4 bucks a piece, My Whites viv runs about 82 degrees in the day and without drops to 70 at night.
    Since your tank is so big you could opt for the higher wattage ones and probably get similar results.

If your building this with the opening on top.
    You can make you own screen inexpensively. The corners run around 3 bucks, the screen is about 5 a roll, and the frame which you will have to cut and piece together with the corners is about 6 to 10 bucks for one piece long enough. Just remember you have to feed them and touch up occasionally so you need access through the top so don't forget to make it easy to access.

Hope some og this info helps.

14. This member thanks DonLisk for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    I could not imagine keeping more than a few whites in the same tank even at that size. Eesh trying to get them all fed properly seems like a bunch of work.
    I guess you're right in a practical sense. XD But I'm just so in love with these frogs I don't know if I could stop myself once I got started. Of course I wouldn't go above five White's, even with that size tank, I guess I was exaggerating a little, sorry. XD
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    You can use cricket bowls properly spaced to feed them. The only problem I see having a lot of frogs is they eat a lot. I order a box of a 1000 crickets once a month...about $20.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    You can use cricket bowls properly spaced to feed them. The only problem I see having a lot of frogs is they eat a lot. I order a box of a 1000 crickets once a month...about $20.
    That's a good idea, the bowls I mean. With my new frogs coming in next weekend I think I'm going to have to start buying in bulk too. XD Little Bruce Wayne finished off twenty small crickets in two days! I'm already put out and have to go get more. I think I will start feeding him mediums though...but mediums on the smaller side. It's just easier that way.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

Nationality
    [United States]

I have bought crickets in bulk before I have some experience with snakes and lizards I useto breed them. Before I bought my new house about 10 years ago. I also breed hissing cockroach to feed to snakes. and some of my Lizards. But when I was doing all that it was much different then having frogs.

Hissing cockroaches are the easiest things to breed for all of you that have the bigger frogs abd toads. All you need is a shoe tupperware box a starting colony of about 5 newspaper and garbage. They will eat about 1%-2% of all your edable garbage. And put a little vaseline around the top edge. And if you are worry about escapes just kick on the AC when it reaches to about 65 degrees that will kill off any escape artists. Withen a month or two you will have about hundred of them. I useto give them away to the local schools for science projects. And sold a few as pets because they are soo unique I got around $2-$5 dollars each for them.

Just a added idea for anyone out there I waqs able to get my snakes that ate mice to take them with a mouse sent solution that you can get at petstores or order online. If anyone want to know more just let me know.

Thread Information