Thread: Crickets

ARMS87

Default Crickets

I have been feeding my frogs crickets mostly with occassional locusts and waxworm.
    Mealworm are used between running out of crickets and getting more because mealworm last ages but are tough on digestion.

The problem is despite my best efforts these ****** things keep turning up around the house and my family has had enough of it. I know how to get rid of the loose crickets (traps etc) but they will keep coming if I keep using them as frog food.
    KricketKeeper containers are a joke what a waste of money fastest and most numerous escapes ever!

Is there an alternative I can use?

Locusts don't last long and mealworm/waxworm can't be a staple.

An ideal alternative would be easy on digestion, long lasting and not jump out of the container immediately upon opening.

Am I asking for the moon?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

woppa

Default Re: Crickets

Well maybe you should look into getting another cricket keeper. The one i have has all glass walls which is nearly impossible for them to climb up. I have had a few eascapes though. I've heard putting packaging tape around the insides of the keeper helps because it is too smooth for them to climb up. I haven't really tried it myself though.

Leefrogs

I kinda followed the culturing crix on container. Used like a small tote, used tape, and instead of screen, I just knifed holes. Although my crix are just pin head size, my local petshop has a bin (left open) with the tape around, and they don't get out. My tote (storage bin) was about 8$ and can fit over 200 adults, guessing, and I have 500 pins. Reminds me, I need another bin.

Dog Shrink

I have the mid-sized cricket keeper (not the one with the tubes that go into it, but one with a regular top with a trap door in it) or when my son fed his toad crickets and never had an escapee... but you could also invest in a 5 gallon glass (or plastic) tank with a screen lid, Shouldn't run you more than $30.00 and would be an effective way of keeping escapees to a minimum. How are your crickets getting out?

Not this one:

but This one:

Then we would just use a toilet peper tube to get the crickets out when needed.

ARMS87

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Shrink View Post
    I have the mid-sized cricket keeper (not the one with the tubes that go into it, but one with a regular top with a trap door in it) or when my son fed his toad crickets and never had an escapee... but you could also invest in a 5 gallon glass (or plastic) tank with a screen lid, Shouldn't run you more than $30.00 and would be an effective way of keeping escapees to a minimum. How are your crickets getting out?

Not this one:

but This one:

Then we would just use a toilet peper tube to get the crickets out when needed.
    I have the first one, waste of money, I could watch them escape by the dozens per minute!

Dog Shrink

Ugh that's gotta stink. I never trusted how that type looked. I think I paid under $5 for the one I use. It certainly never had any escapees. Might be worth giving it a bash.

woppa

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Shrink View Post
    Ugh that's gotta stink. I never trusted how that type looked. I think I paid under $5 for the one I use. It certainly never had any escapees. Might be worth giving it a bash.
    I use that second one. I just use toilet paper rolls. Theyrarely escape.

Thread Information