Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's red eye season!

Tony

Default It's red eye season!

Most of my red eye tads have left the water, so I decided it was time to make more. Three clutches so far today, and the female I caught laying is soaking now to lay another.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

pez

Default Re: It's red eye season!

Cool. Congratulations for being able to reproduce them. I have always wanted to...but first I have to get some.

Keep us updated

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by pez View Post
    Cool. Congratulations for being able to reproduce them. I have always wanted to...but first I have to get some.

Keep us updated
    I'm surprised you don't have them in your yard. I wish Costa Rica would relax their export restrictions a bit, I would really love to work with the form from the Pacific coast.

nana

I would love to have some of these but they cost a fortune here maybe one day!

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by nana View Post
    I would love to have some of these but they cost a fortune here maybe one day!
    What is the average price? They are very inexpensive here, as low as $10 for froglets, and I paid around $25 each for my imported adults.

nana

Last time there was any up my way the guy was asking for £50 each sub adult!! Got a friend on the lookout for some in england,here's hoping!

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by nana View Post
    Last time there was any up my way the guy was asking for £50 each sub adult!! Got a friend on the lookout for some in england,here's hoping!
    Ouch, that is expensive. It might be worth looking into importing a group from the US, or maybe another country in Europe where they are not so pricey. Maybe from a vendor at the Hamm show?

Tony

The fourth clutch of the day is in progress.

nana

I'm hoping to get to hamm once my health improves. Never thought to import,might be worth looking into it. Will just have to wait in the meantime decided to buy another tortoise to cheer myself up ha ha

bshmerlie

Hey Tony would you give us a step by step progress on the egg clutches? Also some of the specifics, such as water temp, anything you put in the water, what you feed the tadpoles, etc, etc. Im going to try and breed my red eyes as soon as they all mature enough to do so. Could you show us a picture of your rain chamber set up? Do you heat the water in the rain chamber? How many frogs do you have in there, etc, etc.

pez

I have searched them everywhere. I have seen them in the wild just once, but my dad didn't let me to keep it.

Personally I prefer the "normal" form. Has more colors although I would be happy with a pacific form.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    Hey Tony would you give us a step by step progress on the egg clutches? Also some of the specifics, such as water temp, anything you put in the water, what you feed the tadpoles, etc, etc. Im going to try and breed my red eyes as soon as they all mature enough to do so. Could you show us a picture of your rain chamber set up? Do you heat the water in the rain chamber? How many frogs do you have in there, etc, etc.

My rain chamber is very simple, I just gutted the substrate out of my female tank, covered the top vent with glass, added a couple of potted plants (potted in charcoal with a top dressing of sphagnum), and sprayed them manually. I spray twice daily, in the afternoon and at night with a gallon of 80 degree water, then siphon out the excess so that about 2" of water remains in the bottom. I started with 12 frogs (7.5) and pull the spent females after they lay. I do not heat the water in the chamber, but I probably would if it was a recirculating system.

The tads have in 7-10 days and I keep them in dechlorinated tap water with a dose of blackwater extract. I feed them twice daily, rotating between a spirulina-based fish flake, marine fish pellets, tadpole bites, and a tadpole pellet from Mike Ready at Sandfire. The water is filtered by an air driven sponge filter and I do a 30-50% water change every week or two.

14. This member thanks Tony for this post:

bshmerlie

Any new close up pictures of eggs developing?

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    Any new close up pictures of eggs developing?
    I haven't taken any of this batch, but I did keep a daily record of last year's.

Agalychnis callidryas tadpole development | Facebook

wesleybrouwer

@ Jojo

The prize on red eyes in Holland isn't high as well,
    for juveniles you may pay as little as €7,50-10.

Maybe you have some luck in Manchester.
    The first UK frogday will be June 12.
    There will be some Dutch people as well,
    maybe you can ask them to bring some red eyes with them.
    There are a lot being bred at the moment and around that time hundreds need new homes,
    so prizes will be at the bottom at that point

http://www.ukfrogday.co.uk/

llmoe

Looking awesome!!! Do you sell your tads or do you wait until they are froglets? I am looking for about 10 for a 135gal tank.. would have pm'd you but couldn't find how. lol.

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by llmoe View Post
    Looking awesome!!! Do you sell your tads or do you wait until they are froglets? I am looking for about 10 for a 135gal tank.. would have pm'd you but couldn't find how. lol.
    Just click on his name...and a pull down menu will pop up.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by llmoe View Post
    I don't like to sell tads, shipping can be rough on them. I have a local dealer who will probably buy all of my offspring, but if I wind up with any surplus I will post them in the classifieds.

iatakden

Id love to purchase 3_4 of them if you are selling !!!!! I cant find them anywhere in colorado stores

Sent using my ( Samsung Galaxy S )

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Wow!! Great thread Tony, Agalychnis callidryas tadpole development | Facebook I cant believe I missed this one. Totally amazing photo's.
    I have recorded my egg development last year but nothing like this. Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information