Thread: Looking into Pacman frogs

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Smile Looking into Pacman frogs

Hey guys! Its me, MeTree! I am somewhat of a new member here.

Not to re-introduce myself, but here is just a tad bit about me. I have kept fish, but I have never kept any species of frog. I was looking into African Clawed Frogs about a month ago, but I don't think it is possible because my brother thinks the frogs will escape and eat his 2 goldfish.

I really want to keep a (green) Pacman. I have done lots of research, but I am still not satisfied with all the info I have collected. I really want to get started, but I have afew questions. I also have a budget of about, lets say a little less than $100 right now.

I want to setup a 10g (fish aquarium) as a terrarium. I want to get an undertank heater, but I am not exactly sure what to look for (I think 8W, but I don't know how to set the temp). I think I will be using eco-earth as substrate, and that will be replaced monthly. I will get a critter keeper to feed the pacman without getting the 10g tank messy. I might could get a lamp if I needed one, with 6500k (daylight) lighting bulb. etc.

I have heard some conflicting reports on how often to feed a young pacman, how many crickets to feed it in one feeding, and I also don't know how much minerals to put on the crickets. Also, I have heard NO feeder fish because they most likely have parasites or other diesases. I have heard that you can feed "pinky" mice to the older ones live, but anything bigger needs to be dead before it is fed to the pacman.

I have heard conflicting reports on the humidity they need. The general, common recomended range is 70-80. Is this too high/low?

Are aquariums Ok for pacmans? I know that the glass is thicker in an aquarium to hold the large amount of water, but I didn't know if there was a downside to have an aquarium as there regular housing.

I was also wondering if green pacmans needed different care from the other pacmans, or if they are all basically the same. While I am talking about care (lol, that is the whole post!), should I keep plastic plants in the terrarium, or is that a danger to the pacman. Also, are most plastic terrarium plants suitable to get wet?

Also, do I need to de-chlorinate the water that the pacman will touch? I guess I need the water up to, maybe the tops of his knees? I guess I need to replace the water as it is absorbed, or do I need to replace the water weekly? Also, do I need to do weekly substrate cleanings?

Are there any meds I need to have on hand? Maybe some kind of common, fast-damaging diesase?

Do I need to give my frog a "bath" (no soap, of corse)? I know they can get pretty dirty. Maybe a quick rinse-off right after a meal?

They do not hibernate unless they are breeding, correct? That is what I have heard.

Anyone know where to find a "frog holder" thingy, or maybe a "frog scoop" or something like that? It is basically something that you use to pick up your frog without exposing him to the oils on your hands.

I know that this is the pacman frog sub-forum, so I need to know where you all buy your pacman frogs. If you buy them from an independent LPS (like a small company that only has one location), you don't need to post the name of the store, but I would like you to post that you get your at an independent LPS. If you get yours from a supply chain (such as Petsmart, ThePetPlace or Petco), please post the name of the store you got it from. If you got it from the internet, please post the name of the site (if it is against site rules to post the name of a site on the forum, you can PM me the site. Thanks!). I have seen Green Pacman Frogs on the internet for $19.99 (+shipping), to $25 (+plus shipping), I am wondering if this is a good deal on frogs (but not too good of a deal, of corse). I want to find a young male. I know it is diffecult to tell when the frog is young, but I think some sites have a pretty good idea?

Here is what I am looking at for supplies. PLEASE post if you notice anything lacking! Thanks!

10g tank (est. $14)
    mist bottle (est. $10)
    hygrometer (est. $7)
    thermometer (est. $7)
    eco-earth substrate (est per month. $8)
    minerals/calcium for cricket dusting (est. $??)
    critter keeper (est. $6-12)
    undertank heater (est. $15-20)
    some kind of shelter? (please make suggestions)
    Crickets (maybe $0.10 per cricket)
    Water bowl (est. $??)

Please respond to as many things as you can knowledgably reply to.

Thanks!
    MeTree

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

pacsack

Default Re: Looking into Pacman frogs

Hey there! I think you could shave a lot of money off that list. For starters don't go to a mainstream pet store first they really will charge you $10 for a mister but walmart it will be only a few dollars. I understand it being your first pac you may want to have a more aesthetic setup but pacman frogs can do just fine with a minimalistic setup. Many breeders do not even keep their pacs in terrariums but in rubbermade containers which is perfectly acceptable. As for a shelter its not really needed as long as you have a deep bedding of ecoearth. I like having a broad leafed fake plant that will provide good amount of top cover so that the pacs can hide under the leaves. I personaly feel that the pacs will feel a lot safer if they have a fake plant for top cover this will only cost you about $10. An undertank heater is strictly dependent on your house temp. As for lighting you wont need anything fancy I recommend getting a electrical timer from home depot that will run you only about $5 for a cheap one I set mine for a 12/12 photo period. You will need to get a calcium powder WITH d3 that will run about $7. For cleaning you can just spot clean as you see poop appear most of the time it will be in the water bowl, ontop of the bedding or in a old burrow. Cleaning your bedding out depends on the frog and how well you spot clean depending on how much bedding you put in you could keep it in for 2 months or so poop may not build up but ammonia will. As for feeding insects should be the staple with a pinky/fuzy according to frog size every few months or more frequent to add on weight if necessary. If you have anymore questions let me know I know this is a pretty big wall of text so I will leave it here for now hehe!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by pacsack View Post
    Hey there! I think you could shave a lot of money off that list. For starters don't go to a mainstream pet store first they really will charge you $10 for a mister but walmart it will be only a few dollars. I understand it being your first pac you may want to have a more aesthetic setup but pacman frogs can do just fine with a minimalistic setup. Many breeders do not even keep their pacs in terrariums but in rubbermade containers which is perfectly acceptable. As for a shelter its not really needed as long as you have a deep bedding of ecoearth. I like having a broad leafed fake plant that will provide good amount of top cover so that the pacs can hide under the leaves. I personaly feel that the pacs will feel a lot safer if they have a fake plant for top cover this will only cost you about $10. An undertank heater is strictly dependent on your house temp. As for lighting you wont need anything fancy I recommend getting a electrical timer from home depot that will run you only about $5 for a cheap one I set mine for a 12/12 photo period. You will need to get a calcium powder WITH d3 that will run about $7. For cleaning you can just spot clean as you see poop appear most of the time it will be in the water bowl, ontop of the bedding or in a old burrow. Cleaning your bedding out depends on the frog and how well you spot clean depending on how much bedding you put in you could keep it in for 2 months or so poop may not build up but ammonia will. As for feeding insects should be the staple with a pinky/fuzy according to frog size every few months or more frequent to add on weight if necessary. If you have anymore questions let me know I know this is a pretty big wall of text so I will leave it here for now hehe!
    Thank you for the post! I really appreciate it!

I can get a mister at Walmart for afew dollars? Does Walmart have a reptile section? Is it packaged as a "reptile/amphibian mister"? Can you refil a mister after you use all that is bought from the store?

A critter keeper is just abit less than a 10g tank. I think the Critter keepers at Walmart are abit small, so I might try to start out with a 10g tank. Do I need a screen? I have heard conflicting information on weather or not they can just out of a 10g tank.

I guess for heat I could moniter the temp of my house. I think the cold wheather is pretty much over here in East Texas, so I may not need a heater right now?

I knew there was some kind of vitamin D in the mix, but I wasn't sure what the number was, and I didn't want to post something incorrectly.

Is 2" of eco-complete Ok? I was wondering how they burrow if the water is at there feet? Do I need to make the water at their toes, so when they burrow they wont drown?

I will see if I can find a cheap lamp/fixture at Walmart. Could that wait for afew months, though? I don't want to hurt the frog any, but I am just curious what corners I can cut without damaging the picture (budget is a little bit smaller than I originally estimated. Not too short, I just want to have emergency money for the frog in case something happends).

I think I will get the essetials before I get the frog, then maybe add stuff a couple weeks later, like a fake plant and stuff. Speaking of fake plants, are there real plants that would work in the shallow water of the terrarium? Maybe something I could find at Petsmart, but it doesn't have to be at Petsmart.

I am still curious where people get there frogs. I don't want to pay $40 in shipping, so maybe I can get a green pacman special ordered from my LPS. I know my LPS charges abit, but it probably isn't $65 as it would be off the internet after I pay shipping and handling. Still, anyone want to post where they got their pacman(s) from?

I think that is all for now. I will probably think of something later.

Thanks for all your help so far!

bshmerlie

I know you're asking about Pacmans but have you checked out firebelly toads? They are very cheap...you can get them at almost any petstore or retile store for under $10 that way you wouldn't have to worry about shipping. They are also very active and outgoing unlike the Pacman frogs. They do well in pairs or small groups and won't try to eat each other. They don't require any special heating or anything like that and are probably the hardiest frogs out there. Go to YouTube and check them out. They are quite the party animals and make great first frogs. Although they don't eat as large of food items as Pacmans they are like sharks at a pool party when it comes to eating. They are a lot of fun. You could easily stay within your budget with them and you could pick them up locally.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    I know you're asking about Pacmans but have you checked out firebelly toads? They are very cheap...you can get them at almost any petstore or retile store for under $10 that way you wouldn't have to worry about shipping. They are also very active and outgoing unlike the Pacman frogs. They do well in pairs or small groups and won't try to eat each other. They don't require any special heating or anything like that and are probably the hardiest frogs out there. Go to YouTube and check them out. They are quite the party animals and make great first frogs. Although they don't eat as large of food items as Pacmans they are like sharks at a pool party when it comes to eating. They are a lot of fun. You could easily stay within your budget with them and you could pick them up locally.
    Well, um...I don't know. Its tempting, but I have really grown attached to the idea of having a Pacman. You said that fire-belly toads are alot cheaper? What kind of supplies would they need to get started? Can't make any promises until the day I go to get supplies for the frog I choose, but I don't have alot of time to research other animals, and I just want to know the cost, and a little bit about the FBT.

Thanks!

(I haven't given up on Pacmans yet)

bshmerlie

You can get FBT for$ 6 at petsmart. Get at least two they like company. They can go into a ten gallon. They love water so get the largest bowl you can with a ramp. Or do a 50-50 set up and slope the land section. Get some plants like pothos to make the tank look nice. You can get it at walmart for five bucks. The tank must have a locking lid. You don't have to worry about humidity as they play in the water often. They can be kept at room temp. No frog is easier and they will always be visible. Best first frog. I started with them myself and they are still a favorite.

pacsack

Well for starter you don't need a critter keeper to or even a 10gallon to keep your frog in you can keep him in a regular plastic bin from walmart. This actually has some advantages such as humidity control, one of the problems that terrariums have is that the screen tops don't hold in humidity. If you get a 10 gallon you should get some sort of non-screen cover such as a glass or plastic top careful with the plastic top though they might melt, I made one of my own I cut a piece of glass I bought from home depot for only about $10 and its really not that hard to do. and as for a mister you don't need anything special just a regular run of the mill spray bottle. As for where to get your frog you should def buy one locally most online frogs you will pay more than $60 for no matter what just because overnight shipping is a must. Chances are if you get a cranwelli it will lose its color as it reaches maturity and end up a mottled brown. If you want a frog that holds its color well into adulthood you need to get a Ornata or "Fantasy frog" which is a hybrid cross between Cornuta and Cranwelli but they hold bright colors and patterns into adulthood. I recommend you just go with a simple Cranwelli you can get for no more than $15 from a local pet store just make sure he is healthy. Once you get a little more experienced with the less expensive frog and you find out if its truly you then you can make the commitment to buy a more expensive frog. Most of all I advice you to read as MUCH literature and old posts in this forum as you can you will find a wealth of information and it will make you a MUCH better owner. Never be afraid to ask though I never was and I think I turned out to be a pretty good frog care taker hehe!

Nationality
    [United States]

Ok, I am pretty sure I am going to start with a pacman. I am selling my used 55g tank (I bought it used (no leaks), but I have never put fish in it) to my brother for his goldfish. Now I have all I need to purchase the supplies I need!

So the green cranwelli (did I spell that right?) will lose their color? Turn brown? Oh well, not prefered but it will work.

I am looking at some products I want to order (if I get it this soon, I'll get free shipping) and I was wondering what you guys think about these...

Thermometer/Hygrometer combo: will this work?
    http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?sku=690481

mister: will this work?
    http://www.petco.com/product/7337/PE...umidityControl

Which one of these "eco-earth" products is best?
    http://www.petco.com/product/104906/...ogHPSubstrates
    or
    http://www.petco.com/product/10813/Z...ogHPSubstrates
    or is there a better product you can recomend? I just suggested eco-earth because I have a buddy (on a fish forum) that has pacman frogs and he uses some kind of eco-earth, but I don't know which kind. PLEASE make suggestions! Thank you!

I am really forgetful, but is there anything I need to get started other than a feeding dish, a cover (I am thinking maybe plexiglass?), and the 10g tank itself? I doubt it will get cold here in Texas. I'd probably need a chiller, jk. Anyway, I can get the crickets and the setup the day before I get the frog.

Has anyone ever seen a green pacman at a Petsmart/Petco? I am wondering if I need to go through the trouble of asking my LPS to order a frog.

I also want to look into a cricket habitat (for growing and breeding crickets) later.

Thanks guys!

Nationality
    [United States]

I see no one has replied to my last post. Is it against the rules to link to Petco? If so, I am sorry and I didn't know. I am just trying (and still trying) to figure out what substrate to use.

What substrate do you use for pacmans?

Nationality
    [United States]

Hey guys! I just got back from my local pet store! It is an independent pet store (in other words, it isn't a big chain like Petsmart or Petco) that I haven't been to in a while. It is the only fish store that I know of within 55 miles of here.

Anyway, the owner of the LPS was going out of buisness. I was so sad when I saw the add in the paper for the buisness. The owner never had any staff, so the owner always reconized me when I came in. I had ordered parts, bought all my fish that I have (except for my I got off craigslist, and the male betta that was mistaken for a female betta and put in a sorority and taken out the same day. That also excludes my 3 ghost shrimp I bought at walmart) from that pet store. In other words, I was a valued customer, and the manager would bend over backwards to make sure I got what I needed.

I say that to say this, reciently, or so I thought, the LPS was taken over by new management. I saw employees I didn't know, so I figured that the manager had sold the LPS and it was over for my LPS. These people didn't know me, my setups, my interest, and they certainly didn't value me as a valuable customer. I thought that I would never be able to special-order again!

I figured that there was nothing I could do to get my LPS to get a pacman, and I don't think my nearest Petsmart (which is the closest Chain at 60 miles away) carries the green pacman, so I figured this would kind of die. I went in to get another mystery snail (which was out of stock at the moment), and after looking at reptile/amphibian supplies (which were a little more than I would pay at a chain, of corse) I was about ready to head out the door when...

...I looked up and saw the old owner (not meaning "old" in age. Might still be the owner, I didn't ask)! I was so happy! The manager ask what I was looking for just like old times and I quickly ask about pacmans and when some mystery snails were expected to come in. The manager said that the pacmans would come in when the weather warms a little and that the mysteries would be in Friday. The manager wrote my name on a card and said that [the manager] would get back to me later with more info on when the green pacmans would arrive.

That just gives me a little bit more time to save up for some supplies that are going to be a little bit more expensive than at petsmart. I would rather buy from my LPS than the chain. I can probably expect to pay about $30-38 for the pacman and I want to buy some decor also.

I still am abit confused about the setup with the water and the burrowing. If the water is to the middle of the pacman, how can it burrow without drowning? Maybe some of you all members have a pic of your pacman tank (under normal conditions) that would show the layers? I kinda "drew" this picture of how it sounds (from all I have read) like a pacman tank is setup. I am still pretty confused, though. Please note that the picture is not to scale, so please don't get out a ruler to see how high the water is, and how tall the pacman is, and the dimensions of the tank, etc. lol.

Also, someone I know (from a fish forum) who keeps pacman says to put the under tank heater on the side of the tank to prevent the wet glass from bending/breaking. This sounds like a good idea, but I was just wondering what you guys think. The heater isn't included in the pic.

Name:  Incomplete Plans for 10g Tank (Pacman 2011).jpg
Views: 3459
Size:  59.8 KB

I just had afew more questions. Does any old empty spray bottle (like the kind that squits Shout, but not the actually bottle that has had chemicals in it) that has never come in contact with cleaning chemicals work for a mister? I am a little bit confused on weather or not it needs to be labled "mister" or not. I find spray bottles empty at Dollar Tree (made in China), would that work?

I guess this could wait (for awhile), but in the winter I just keep the frog at the same temp, humidity, etc, just like normal, correct? I have heard that they only hibernate if they are breeding, so I am just making sure that I wouldn't be messing up some kind of internal clock in the little pacman if I didn't dry him out and stuff.

I also need to know a substrate that will work. It doesn't have to be the best, I just need to know what is suitable and wont mold or dry out super quickly. Can you guys give some recomendations on what you all use for your pacman(s)? That, I think, is one of my biggest questions.
    Also, I was looking at walmart, and they have these little bitty flouresent fixtures with little bulbs that are cheap as dirt. I have heard that full spectrum "daylight" (about 6500-6700) is great for the frog's health. I was wondering if there would be a max wpg with pacmans. I don't want the light to provide alot of heat (do I?), but I don't want it to be useless. Above all, I certainly don't want to hurt the pacman. Just wondering if anyone knew about pacmans and lighting.

I think that is it with the questions for now. Sorry guys, I can really talk forever when I am excited. This isn't only a breakthrough finding a source to buy a pacman, though, this is me becoming a valued customer again with all the neat privledges that comes with.

Thank you SO much guys for helping me with this!

iatakden

I dont know where you live , looks like east texas but ya . We have a place called Hobby Lobby out here in Colorado and i can get almost EVERYTHING there , ex. i got my 1/2 gallon mister there for about 1.29 if im not mistaken. Wal mart is a great start also. Like someone else said here . DONT GO MAIN STREAM . Your wallet will feel it .

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks for the tip! I went to Hobby Lobby today and got a small mister for about $2. I hope it will work.

What about the setup? I know it can vary, but I am still very confused. I "drew" a picture of what my (poor) understanding of a pacman setup is, but I still don't know if I did it correctly. Anyone have a vid of their pacman on Youtube I could watch that shows the tank in it? Maybe some pics? I don't know, but I will keep looking.

Still don't know what to do about substrate, heating, and basic setup. I posted my questions and concerns 2 posts up (^).

Thanks guys! I'll keep you all posted.

Sabaku SouSou

Personally I have an under tank heater on the bottom to one side of the tank, opposite of the water bowl. I have a 2-3" layer of eco-Earth substrate that I mist frequently throughout the day since I'm home. I have a good-sized fake plant in the middle that spreads so Choji can hide under it if he wants. I personally don't have water throughout the tank, but that's just me.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Sabaku SouSou View Post
    Personally I have an under tank heater on the bottom to one side of the tank, opposite of the water bowl. I have a 2-3" layer of eco-Earth substrate that I mist frequently throughout the day since I'm home. I have a good-sized fake plant in the middle that spreads so Choji can hide under it if he wants. I personally don't have water throughout the tank, but that's just me.
    Sounds like a good plan. I have seen Youtube vids of people who have damp substrate with an under-tank heater. I am guessing that as long as my substrate is deep enough (maybe 3-4") to keep dry at the bottom I wont have to worry about glass bending? I am still wondering about the under-tank heaters because it has been said that they raise the temp about 10 degrees, and I am wondering if there is a chance that if the temp in my room is warm (in Texas) if the heater would actually overheat the tank?

Still haven't heard back from the LPS, but I will go up there soon to get the mystery snails I need, then I will ask about when the pacmans are expected to come (the manager said sometime early summer, but the manager would try to find out a more specific date than that). Until then, I want to mostly setup the tank so that I can pick up the frog at a moments notice (so I don't have to plan an emergency trip to my distant Petsmart to pick up the supplies and risk someone else buying the pacman).

Thanks guys! I think I sould be able to have everything ready by the time the pacman is ordered. I still have afew more questions about substrate, though.

Thanks!

Nationality
    [United States]

(Sorry for the double post. I had to post my last one and then leave, but now I am back. I know that if I started editing, by the time I finished it would be past the edit time and I would have to start over. Please view the post above (^) if you have not yet viewed it. Thanks!)

As posted above, I need to setup my tank pretty soon. Hopefully I can get the supplies next time I go way out in that direction, hopefully not on an emergency trip planned last minute because I get the call that the green cranwellis have arived. I must prepare for that moment, though, if it should come. Here is a (short) list of the supplies I have;

mister

Pretty short. Here is a list (from what I can remember) of the supplies I don't have;

tank
    covering (optional?)
    substrate
    cricket breeder (optional)
    hygrometer
    thermometer
    undertank heater (optional until fall)
    water bowl
    hiding decor such as cave and/or plant
    Water treatment

I will cover the topics in order so I don't forget a bunch of things.

First of all, the tank probably wont be a problem. I used to see them at walmart for $13, but I haven't seen them in stock at my walmart. Anyone seen an empty 10g at walmart this week? I might just get it at my LFS (for more than at walmart) or at Petsmart.

Covering; optional? I have heard of people using screens, plastic, light fixtures, etc. I know that a covering would help keep in the humidity, but what kind of cover should I get? Would plexiglass (the plastic-like unbreakable stuff) with a bunch of holes drilled into it work? I am not sure if the plexi would allow enough ventilation for the pacman, considering (if you include substrate) that it would be 9" to the floor of the tank. I have heard screen is Ok, good ventilation, but I would think that alot of humidity would escape. I have heard from several sources that it is Ok to not even put a top on (because pacman can't jump?), but I imagine I would have to mist multiple times daily, and that a diferent covering would pay off.

Substrate; I know that alot of people recomend eco-earth for pacman, but I have seen that there are multiple types (at least 3 or 4) of eco-earth. I am wondering if this would work. I have read alot of reviews the Zoo Med Eco Earth Loose Fiber Substrate from Petco.com (http://www.petco.com/product/104906/...ogHPSubstrates) and this substrate seems to be suitable for a pacman frog tank. Here are some lines I have taken from the comments;

"great substrate for herps that require higher humidity levels...."

"....smells good, easy to clean, and holds moisture well without mold formation."

"....I have....in a 20 gallon tank and they LOVE this stuff. It is quite messy until it all becomes moist (sticking to their bodies) but once it is properly hydrated, it is awesome!"

"....It's loose enough for them to easily dig, but still holds together well so their burrows remain intact."

So basically from the comments I have gathered that it wont mold, it hold humidity, and a pacman can burrow in it. Is this the eco-earth that alot of you guys use? Would this substrate work for my pacman? I would recomend, just to reduce confusion, that when telling newbies about eco-earth, just to make sure to tell them which kind. I am NOT trying to scold or embaress you guys in ANY way, I am just making sure you all know that there is more than one kind of eco-earth, and hopefully that will stop alot of confusion. Best intentions meant.

Nextly (if that is a word lol)...actually I think I will skip talking about a cricket breeder on this post. If you want to make suggestions here that is fine, but I will probably open another thread for that.

Hygrometer; I am new to hygrometers, but I think I now most of what I need to know about them. I have never needed a hygrometer, because my pets right now are always at a humidity of 100% (lol fish). Do hygrometers give a constant, accurate reading (kind of like a thermometer, and not like a noraml hydrometer where you have to make a measurement everytime you want to know the levels of salinity)? If it says "hygrometer" it will work, right? Maybe even if it doesn't (assuming it identifies it's unit of measure as humidity)? I just wanted to know if there were any bad brands that wouldn't work. I guess I could probably buy one of these things for somewhere between $4-9?

Thermometer; Hmm. What about those aquarium thermometers that walmart sells for $1.69? They are lead-bassed, so they may not be accurate above water (although I have nother to prove or disprove that), but I was wondering if anyone ever compared the a regular thermometer with an aquarium one. Also, how much can you expect to buy a "regular" thermometer at Petsmart? Maybe I can get a thermometer/hygrometer combo pack as I have seen on the internet for about $8-11.

Undertank heater; If I have about 3" of eco-earth (the kind mentioned above?(^)) and misted it to where the top of the substrate is pretty damp, would that be safe enough to have an undertank heater without the risk of it cracking the tank? I would, as mentioned, put the heater on the opposite side of the water bowl. Speaking of water bowl...

Water bowl; Can I find a long, wide water dish at Petsmart?

Hiding; I saw a vid of a pacman frog in a tank with a cave that was made of Pine tree bark. I am wondering if there is a type of glue/sealent that would be safe to glue a bunch of pine bark together with. Also, does anyone know if boiling pine bark would work? I also want a neat fake plant to go in the tank.

Water Treatment; I have seen water treatmen marked as a reptile product, but further down it reads that it is safe for frogs and other animals. Would something like that work? Also, do I need to fill my mister with treated water?

That is all the questions I have time for right now. Thanks!

Nationality
    [United States]

(please read the 2 post above if you have not already done so, tanks!)

Ok guys. I am almost to the point of ordering most of the stuff off the internet. Shipping prices are good again, and I need to ask about afew products. If you do not think that a product is effective, worthless, dangerous, or a product that doesn't belong in a tank with a pacman frog, please let me know.

This is a hygrometer, correct? Will it work?
    http://www.petco.com/product/9424/PE...y%20Gauge-9424

This is called "ReptiSafe", but it says that it is safe for amphibians. Is this good for amphibians?
    http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?sku=708364

This water dish looks shallow enough. Is it Ok to feed home-raised guppies to pacman frogs in the water dish? I saw a vid of someone who put a live guppy in the water dish when they first got their pacman, and the pacman readily ate it. I know alot of people have trouble getting their pacman to eat the first week or so. That is beside the point, would this make a good, shallow water dish for the pacman?
    http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?sku=934909

This is the eco-earth mentioned by me in an earlier post (either 1 or 2 post up). It is the coconut fiber substrate that I have seen specifically recomended by sites that specialize in pacman frogs.
    http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?sku=1128477

Gut load cricket drink? If you don't know what I am talking about, have a look at the link. Is this safe?
    http://www.petco.com/product/109787/...ormsFruitFlies

I might put up a few more products later. Please help with what you can.

Thanks!

Nationality
    [United States]

...adding to the list of supplies.

Is "frog moss" a top priority item, or can that wait afew months? Is it really important, or kinda optional?
    http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?sku=1276883

Is this the stuff I need to dust the crickets with, or is this the wrong kind/too expensive?
    http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?sku=239119

Does this look like a good screen?
    http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?sku=696048

I think that is it. don't forget to read the last 3 posts. Nobody has even read this thread since early yesterday.

Nationality
    [United States]

Ok guys, I am looking into making an internet purchase today. Short notice, but please comment if there is anything that will not work. I think I have all the supplies I need except the tank, the frog, and the food.

Here is what I plan to get;

[note: any product that was not mentioned in an earlier post will have attached link]

Zoo Med Eco-earth loose coconut fiber substrate ($7.49)
    x2 Petco high range thermometer ($2.39)
    Repti-cal Reptile calcium powder with D3 ($7.19)
    http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?sku=239119
    Mac's Natural Grapevine Log ($3.99)
    http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?sku=616931
    Humidity Gauge ($3.24)
    Petco heat resistant screen ($6.99)
    Reptisafe water conditioner ($6.99)
    Dish combo ($6.49)

Total: $51.05

Did I get some good deals or what? Anyway, if you find something wrong, just post and I ca return it when it gets here. It is on its way right now (actually, it will probably leave the warehouse tomorrow as I just finished the purchase about 10 minutes ago)!

All I need (correct me if I am wrong) is the tank, frog, and crickets. I still haven't heard back from my LFS about the pacmans yet, but hopefully that wont be too far off.

Thanks for helping me get this far! Couldn't have done it without the help of the forum! Please make any comments, tips, or suggestions if you can think of any (which, me being a beginer, you probably can).

Thanks guys!

Nationality
    [United States]

I feel ignored.

I have seen that 4 people have viewed this thread since my last post yesterday. I would just like some feed back on the items I got. Anyone have any suggestions? Anyone?

The items should arrive between Monday and Thursday of this week. I'll keep you all posted.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default (Conclusion) Looking into Pacman frogs

Ok guys. I know this thread is entitled,"Looking into Pacman frogs". I would like to thank everyone very much for helping me through this somewhat diffecult phase of obtaining a suitable amount of information (and money lol). I really appreciate the helpful post that have been made.

This thread, it seems, is no longer getting any posts and fewer viewers. I have purchased almost everything I need to get a pacman (excluding the tank and food). The order should get here soon. I would like to say that I am no longer looking into pacman frogs, but am getting a pacman frog hopefully in the near future.

This thread has been very helpful on my course from ignorent to pacman-wise. Again I would like to thank everyone who posted!

THANK YOU ALL!!

-MeTree

Thread Information