Thread: White's Planted Vivarium - First ever build!

MrC4FF

Default White's Planted Vivarium - First ever build!

Hey everyone. Just wanted to take a chance to share my first and brand new vivarium with you all! I am completely new to all of this but I've been doing a lot of research and after a few days of the vivarium settling in my new White's Tree Frog now lives in here!

I will take a picture of him when I can but currently he's hiding under the African Violet because that's where he likes to sleep.

Without further ado, here is my first setup:

This is just after the daily spray so that's why It's looking quite damp. I'm not sure of the names of some of the plants, but I know they are White's safe. The only one I know by name is the African Violet in the far left, because thats where he likes to hide!

I have a clay ball base with a thin layer of cocoa bark substrate, followed by plantation soil substrate (built up more wherever there are plantings). Elsewhere there is the rest of the cocoa bark substrate and around the water dish there is some moss to keep the humidity in.

The vivarium has two compact tops, one with a sun glo 25w and 11w fluorescent for the plants, the other with two night glo 25w. It's beautiful at night but doesn't photograph so well.

I think I have done pretty well landscaping, any ideas or things I need please let me know because I am very new to this (but so far LOVING it!).

Oh and a bonus picture for you all, because Vivi (my White's) likes to sleep under the African Violet during the day guess who gets pride of place:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: White's Planted Vivarium - First ever build!

Wow!! Very nice. You certainly have put a lot of thought and time into your set up. Looks awesome.
    The only thing I would suggest is something to line the sides of the glass like plastic plants that have the suction cups. It would provide your frog with something to climb on, as they do love to climb, as well as adding more security for your frog in the enclosure. It also will look great.

bshmerlie

Thanks for sharing you tank with us. I would also recommend more branches and plants higher up. Think vertical...tree frogs like to climb and perch from higher ground.

MrC4FF

Firstly, thanks for the advice everyone! I have taken everything on board and yesterday I got straight to work!

I took out the African Violet (which is now back in a pot and looking much happier) and replaced it with a Calathea. I have to say this plant is very cool, quite young but already strong enough to have a frog on it (as i found out today ).

I have also added a fake Exo Terra Ficus to the right until the other plants grow up a bit, but the day after the first night Robert and Rupert are both sleeping under it together which is the cutest thing ever! I also replaced the cocoa husk substrate with plantation soil substrate and removed the moss from other recommendations.

So here is the new setup, what do you guys think?

Oh, also yesterday i have to take the frogs out and they were SO CUTE climbing my arms while i tried to get them in the temp tank!

Thanks all!

Rocko

One suggestion, you might consider finding the magnatural ledges that are sold at some stores. They attach to the glass and could give you some perches on the side walls, so that the frogs have more 3d places to climb.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Very nice. I'm a big fan of more branches and leaves up high.
    Your white love to climb and they also like to hide up high to sleep so adding something to get behind such as leaves will give them a place of security.... you can see them but they think they are hidden.

You can also just add a nice Bromeliad in there and they will love you for it.

Check out my photo albums and you'll see what I mean.

Nice viv though and they should definitely be happy there.

Thread Information