Thread: Shedding Question (Twice in a Week)

85MkIISupRa

Default Shedding Question (Twice in a Week)

My biggest female shed a couple days ago and i try to feed it 2 days ago to no avail and tryed everyday since then and today i was watching her in her water bowl and she shed again. Is that normal? I dont know what to think of it, im just making sure she is ok im gonna try to feed her again tomorrow morning to see if she eats. Has anyone else experience this before?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

wesleybrouwer

Default Re: Shedding Question (Twice in a Week)

Frogs do shed every day,
    when they don't, old skin is building up, resulting in suffocation since they are unable to breath trough it.

Greg M

I don't think that the change in appetite and shedding are related. As noted by Wesley, frogs shed quite frequently, we just don't notice because they eat the old skin. Probably nothing is wrong - I would suggest just watching the frog for a week or so to see if its appetite doesn't pick up. Check temperature and humidity - with all the cold weather, the frogs may be colder than usual (or drier with the furnace running constantly).

With some frogs (White's treefrogs, for example), Chytrid infection can cause changes in the skin, which can have the appearance of sloughing skin. Horned frogs are noted carriers of Chytrid, but they are often unaffected themselves. I suppose you could run the frog through the Lamisil treatment, which is very easy.

Any chance this is related to an attempt to estivate?

Socrates

To sum up what ever one has said...No worries :-)

85MkIISupRa

The temp and the humidity have been good nothing has changed with that, It is extremely cold right now outside and all she is doing is staying burrowed. It may jus be a attempt to estivate i didnt even think about that. I was just worried because she never turned down food and its coming up on 2 weeks her not eating. Neither of my other two frogs arent doing anything similar so im just gonna wait it out and see what happens.

Thread Information