Thread: The way i build 1 of my vivs

wesleybrouwer

Default The way i build 1 of my vivs

Since Cheri wanted to see some more about decorating and things like that,
    i might as well start off.
    I must apologize for the probably bad quality of the pictures,
    normally i do not keep track of what i am making,
    this one i recorded with my new phone to see what it could do with picture taking

As everyone, i started out with a terrarium, just plain glass, nothing fancy about that.
    The size of it is 1,50mx0,65mx1,50m, in you're metric it is around 59x26x59 inch or 386 gallon.

In the side i made 2 holes with a glass drill, this is were the tubes, from and to the external filter will come.

The type of decoration actually has to depend upon the species you like to keep.
    If you know for example you like to keep a pumilio, you may wan't to get a viv higher then wide with some bromeliads so thet can deposit tadpoles.
    Are you going with a species that like to live around rocky areas and slow streams,
    you may wan't to implement those features.
    In my case, this is build for my Pedostibes, a mainly aboreal species.

The main feature in this set up, is a cork tree i bought myself.
    At a fair in France i came across this and it was a match made in heaven,
    the dimension was exactly that of the viv it had to fill.

I started out by deciding how i wanted my main feature in the tank,
    when i was certain how i wanted it, i took it out and first of all started to glue fern tree panels in the back.
    I used an aquarium silicon to get it in place.

After the tree fern panels were placed and the silicon had dried out,
    i started with putting back in the cork tree.
    With some styrofoam pieces i kept it from the bottom, this because later on, i wanted to make a platform beneath it.
    Soon as i was happy with it's place, i started to fixate it with help of PU-foam.
    I also made a little extra relief on the background since the tree fern is quit flat.

After the PU-foam was cured, i started molding it in the shapes i liked it.
    Besides i added some lianas into it wich i also placed using PU-foam.
    I also made the bottom.
    Therefore i used styrofoam and PU-foam.

I wanted to have a slow moving water inside the enclosure, therefore i chose to build a piece of land, not completely under water level.
    For breeding purpose, i wanted to be able to raise and lower water levels.
    I decided to make the bottom higher and lower in some places, that way i get drier places and wetter parts.
    When the water height is at normal, it just reaches the bottom substrate i put on top of my platform.
    When i raise the water level, most of the soil will become soggy, only small parts still remain above water level.

The finishing was done by using epoxy raisin, brown pigment and tree fern sawdust.
    Because the epoxy is watertight, i had to make sure the water from spraying will be able to get into the water feature in the front.
    Therefore i made some holes trough the bottom, towards the water feature,
    i did this in a way you won't notice they are there

To me epoxy is a great material to use, it gives quit a natural look and will last forever once in place.
    Downside however is you have to decide the places for the plants in advance, since it is difficult to get something in once it is hardened.
    It will take you some practice, since epoxy is something that starts reacting right away,
    depending on temperature you can work with it somewhere around 20 minutes to 1 hour, so you have to put you're back to it
    Or just make little quantities at a time

To work on the epoxy background, i layed the terrarium on it's back so the last step is just somewhat easier

I worked with 2 layers, once the first is almost dried out but just a little bit sticky, i started with the 2nd layer.
    I made it thicker with some fillers, like cotton or stewatix since epoxy itself is thin like water.
    Once i completely covered the back and sides, i got myself around 10kg of tree fern sawdust and just threw it over the epoxy.
    I gently pressed everywhere to make sure it was getting stuck to the epoxy.
    In the complete progress, it is advicable to wear gloves by the way

After everything was cured, the terrarium was placed up again.
    Not all the sawdust will remain, so i gently knocked off and brushed some excess sawdust from the walls.
    I picked it up since i later on used it in my soil mixture.

Now finally the last piece of the hard work
    The bottom.
    I repeated everything one more time.
    The only difference was i wanted to use fine aquarium sand on the bottom,
    so i used it to cover some of the bank as well.
    I tried to create a transistion between the soil and sand,
    therefore i first put in sand and later on finished it off by putting some tree fern sawdust and clay over pieces of it.

After a week of letting it dry, i was sure all of the epoxy had been reacted, so no toxics will be released anymore.
    Just to be sure i rinsed everything before continuing

I also used some veneer on the sides and on the light box, since the viv is a stand alone, i won't see the ugly things like the silicone and it matches the interior better
    It is stainable in every color you like as well

Then it was time to get to the fun part.
    Just ordered some sturdy plants and started to decorate
    I placed the soil mixture, concisting of cocopeat, tree fern sawdust and clay,
    where i planted the plants in.
    I also had 2 bromeliads to put on the lianas, those were hold in place by some stainless steel wire (just thread from jute or something like that also works,).
    After a while the bromeliad will attach itself by roots, this is when you can remove the wires.
    I also placed some plants by just putting the against the walls and fixating them with the clay, this is used for bonsai by the way as well.

Last, i had to get everything up and running.
    Therefore i placed my filter and put in the lamps.
    I use 4 TL-D in different colors and 2 spots wich also provide UV.

And this is the result.
    Hope you enjoyed it and sorry for the bad sentences that i maybe used
    It is already quit late around here

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: The way i build 1 of my vivs

Wow, very nice and great walk through. That is one big tank too.

bshmerlie

Wow Wesley that is some build. Thank you very much for sharing it with us. Couple of questions....the fern panels? Where are you guys getting them? And what are the advantages of them? As far as I understand it there is now a similar synthetic product available are those just as good.? I noticed you used the foam on the ground...Ive always been afraid to do that but I guess if it is sealed properly it wont be an issue. Next the large cork tree how did you clean it? Its too big to bake in the oven. Im sue ill have more question. Thanks again

Cheri

wesleybrouwer

Thank you both!

@ Cheri

Always glad to answer some questions,
    i'll try to answer everything as good as possible.
    I do believe a good setup is important as well.

Concerning the tree fern panels.
    There are 2 different kinds of panels.
    Personnaly i prefer the ones from New Zealand.
    We can buy them in most of the terrarium shops around here.

In the past there were the panels harvested from trees in the "wild" (CITES listed Cyathea contaminans if i'm correct),
    the tree ferns cut for this, were very old since they only grow slowly.
    Nowadays there are panels available from plantations, those are from a faster
    growing tree fern as i understood(i believe those are Dicksonia).

Both ethical as practical, i like the ones from New Zealand best.

The New Zealand panels are a little bit lighter colored and aren't as hard as the "wild" ones.

This is the hard/dark form with a spontaniously growing fern.

This is the soft form

The reason i like this material over others, is for example:

The panels will soak up water and slowly release it into the air, contributing in the maintainance of a good humidity level. When you place the panels with the underside all the way to the bottom of the tank, where it will have contact with the water under the substrate, it will soak up water quit a bit.

It gives a nice natural look, especially when the typical mosses are starting to grow,
    no more is needed then keeping the panels moist and well-lit.
    There is also a possibility the panels contain spores that will start growing when kept in this conditions.
    Due to the airy structure, it is a good material for plants to grow on.
    It is used a lot by orchid producers since ephifyts will grow wonderfull on this.

It is a little hard to see, but the panels produce a very distinct kind of moss.

I know there are synthetical materials, of wich they claim to have the same properties.
    The name is Ecoweb or Epiweb.
    I used it, but i am not convinced.
    Mosses won't grow out of itself, you have to graft the moss yourself and rubb it in with some soil before it will
    grow as nice.
    Also the look, i think it is still way to obvious it's a synthetical remake.
    As long as it is not fully covered, i don't like the look of it.
    About the maintaining of the humidity and soaking any water from the bottom, i also have to say, it is overruled by the real panels.
    The prizing, no cheaper then decorating with the natural stuff.
    Here 1m² of tree fern panels cost around €75, epiweb costs around €65.

For the foam, i never had any problems, i always like to use epoxy raisin when making anything out of PU-foam or styropor,
    it is very durable and 100% waterproof, it will last for ages without breaking apart.
    To give it a nice look and take the glossiness away, i always put in some soil, i like to work with the tree fern dust and clay,
    just because i like the look of it.
    I think epoxy is one of the best inventions ever, i also managed to repare a dozen of ripped terrariums with this,
    it makes them completely waterproof again

6. This member thanks wesleybrouwer for this post:

bshmerlie

Wow...thanks for the detailed explanation. Now at least I have an understanding of tree fern. I like the idea of the moss growing out of it. Now I just need to find someone who sells it in the USA. Thanks Wesley.

Grrrit

Wicked cool! I really like the wood hollow center piece!

Thread Information